1. Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

Your UDM left you stranded

Discussion in 'BMW Talk' started by seremban, Oct 5, 2006.

1. seremban

seremban Club Guest

Dear bimmer owners, Please share your experiences of your bimmers left you stranded by the roadside because of engine problem or the engine not being reliable. I also heard that older models like E28, E30, E34, E36 etc has more reliable engines than recent models. Is this true ? I hope to buy a used bimmer (E34, E36) one day, but I always have this fear of being stranded in some deserted road in the middle of the night. I heard that many used bimmer engines not being reliable ?? :( Thank You and Have a good day. .

2. Jules

Jules Club Guest

when u buy used car, luck but also knowledge of the car history goes a long way. This is applicable to ANY car, ANY model.

Unreliable cars comes from improper maintenance mainly, very seldom a design factory fault.

So in short, bimmer engines are RELIABLE when u know what to look for ( if buying second hand ) and when/how to do periodic maintenance......it's a machine at end of day which needs care.

3. moots

moots Club Guest

i've had my e34 for 7 years to date and it has left me stranded only once in ipoh due to a failed fuel pump.that also it has given me due warnings which i chose to ignore.so it was basically my own fault.my e30 i've had for 4 years and not once it has left me stranded anywhere.partly,the reliability of old cars like mine is dependant on yr love to own and yr passion to take good care of 'em.you must have good ears to know how to listen to unwanted noises from unwanted places.

4. flash

flash Club Guest

What jules mentioned is very true. A well maintained car should not let you get stranded. There are warning signs before a part fails.

I recently had to change my fan clutch even though my car did not overheat. My only warning sign was a slight increase in water temp (which used to be rock solid at below the halfway mark) when the car is stationery. Found out the fan clutch was beginning to leak a bit of oil. Had I not caught it, I might have been stranded in a jam.:eek:

My ex-E36 got me stranded once just because of a RM5 clip. I changed my radiator and reused the clips. Should have changed the clips. Cheap insurance. What happened was the hose got cabut out. Luckily I caught it in time, stopped the car and prevented any damage to the engine.

5. Slide

Slide Club Guest

150,000kms and my e36 328 has never left me stranded.

6. Daniel

Daniel Club Guest

total bullshit to what Jules says.

My E46 of 3 years has broken down on the road 4 times since day 1.

It gets oil service about every 5000-6000kms. Fully maintained, even with OEM parts (except of my upgraded items). All to the book and it still breaks down.

7. fabianyee

fabianyee Founding Member

instead of shouting 'bullshit', it would help if you can list down wat are the problems u faced. Others can verify whether it's a common problem or urs just the lemon car... There are certain percentage of cars out from the factory (from any car manufacturer) which seem to be the lemon batch. BMW not excluded.

Anyway, u still kept it, don't you?

8. Daniel

Daniel Club Guest

I say it as i see it, regardless of impact.
    You are on the commitee right? its proudly stated under your handle, so get your finger out and get with the program. I have already stated and explained all the illnesses that my E46 has suffered from in a past thread.

Reason why i still drive it. Because the 2nd value for our car are so sad that's its worth peanuts.

9. fabianyee

if you have pointed out the grouses before in past thread, then you would be able to retrieve those and paste the link here. That is if you really r being helpful to the newbies... Anyway, your intonation doesn't seem to be a friendly one which I don't understand why is it so. Woke up on the wrong side of the bed?

10. 535i

535i Club Guest

E34 - once - fuel pump - actually it was the fuse ... he he he ..
    E30 - snap fan belt

It happens ....

11. c-square

c-square Club Guest

My e36 left me stranded a few times because of overheating (because the mechanic did not manage to fully rectify the problem) and once due to the failed crank shaft sensor.

There's always AAM to come to your rescue (so no worries, dude) and go ahead to purchase your bimmer.

12. flash

flash Club Guest

Or you can always call our crack in-house road-side assist service team....:D

13. keanbkhoo

keanbkhoo Club Guest

What to do Fabian, he damn "sui"lah a lemon in a lemon car...................wakakaka, stop complaining and if u are not happy sell the car and buy a proton:rolleyes:

14. Jules

Jules Club Guest

Maybe cos this driver dunno how to drive? what a waste of UDM. Ha ha!

Fab, yes - there will always ppl who bitch n moan but does nothing. As Khoo said, get a Jap and stop bitching here cos the manner of posting is not productive to anyone or welcomed by most.

15. anakin

anakin Official Member

Drove my E30 323 1984 for 5 years...sekali je dia buat hal...enjin tak mahu idup, simptom macam fuel pump rosak...tapi bukan...api tak naik..TCI control unit rosak..it cost me RM100..tu jee...and I drove it for 5 years with such a wonderful feeling....Kenapa dengan Daniel tu..? tak paham laa...nampaknya semakin lama forum ni semakin tak syok laa...

16. eau-rouge

eau-rouge Club Guest

i experienced it too

17. initialM

initialM Official Member

No worry bro,

Try possible to get a condition one. Then learn more on the car. Do the preventive maintainance. If got the maintainance history better if not change one by one. BMW parts maybe expensive but the feel of driving it in tip top condition priceless.
    U r lucky coz now price very cheap and u can spare RM for maintainance.
    Good luck in yr E34/E36 search. try to join member TT and get advice and opinion, not to forget racun too.:p

18. anakin

anakin Official Member

Wonder why Daniel was so mad with UDM....but after searching an old thread on what did his e46 has done to him, I almost choked!!....now I understand how did Daniel felt about his so called UDM....I feel sorry for you bro..some people just not lucky enough....

19. Daniel

Daniel Club Guest

anakin, thank you for doing your research. i see your are able to distinguish what is fact & what is crap.

Jules, Tsk tsk, i also see you have grown some small Berries. Finally you speak out in the open about your distaste for me rather than PM. I said it before, but it seems i have to repeat it for you. If you do not like my teachings, stop reading my posts. Now, is that so hard to comprehend?

Fabian, what kinda proof do you need that i actually have shared & posted up my experiences. I believe most of which are of that genre.

Just because i have a BMW doesn't mean i have to fake my thoughts/feedback of my car. Am i limited to just mention praises & leave out the cons?

I tell it like it is.
    So please, lets keep it real in this forum. People join to gain true & real information of BMWs in Malaysia, not a shrine of how excellent BMW is.

The Truth.

20. fabianyee

that's why I asked hm to post the links here on this thread mah for sharing... but he was too pissed about the world going round and round and why the sun must come up from the east to bother about sharing..

He spent too much time living in anger... And I doubt it's purely bcos of the car... I think it could be his angst that got him into getting a lemon car...
    Be happy and you'll live happy...