1. Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

E46 Transmission Fluid

Discussion in 'E46' started by Juan Powerblow, Jul 14, 2005.

1. funfer_fahrer

funfer_fahrer Club Guest

BMW automatic transmission are manufactured by two suppliers :

• ​
    Zahnradfabrik Friedrichshafen: Commonly referred to as ZF. ZF manufactures
    both manual and automatic transmissions.
    GM Powertrain - Hydramatic: Hydramatic is a manufacturing division of General Motors located in Strasbourg France. Hydramatic supplies automatic transmissions to BMW for four and six-cylinder vehicles.

I am not sure about the best place to change your transmission oil.

2. tamade7

tamade7 Club Guest

e46 bought used at 85k km changed ATF (bmw ATF) and axle (Total) at 85k km. now 95k km nothing bad happen.

e39 bought used at 75k km changed ATF (Total ATF) and axle (Total) at 75k km. now 80k km nothing bad happen.

3. tank34

tank34 Club Guest

Guys, I think the verdict is obvious. Change your ATF when the time's up. I just did mine at MScope over the week (aprox mileage 62,000km). 7 liters of ZF @RM55/bottle. Labour RM120, filter and Gasket..etc. total RM620.

Car feels good, smoother gear change and the difference is obvious. Also, it solved another problem I used to have, i.e., when car slowing down at traffic lights and car is shifting from 3rd to 2nd, there's a mild "klonk" sound. But the sound is not audible anymore, used to think it was something to do with Rear Differential oil, but not the case.

4. izuaff

izuaff Club Guest

Just change my e46 bought a month ago and replaced transmission oil. Mech told me to change using genuine oil ,otherwise gearbox koyak. So I did .Besides the original oil was too dark and dirty already.

Now, after reading the forum, get scared wo.

Now what??/
    SO far, ok no ploblem,

5. Ade

Ade Club Guest

Tank34...mind PM me the location and telephone for MScope...mine's due for change....the oil, filter and gasket..are they OEM or ORI?

Besides, anybody know if TEXACO is sold here as TEXACO or CALTEX? Either way....anybody used this before and where and how much roughly it cost?

6. viewfinder

viewfinder Club Guest

BMW part # 83 22 0 026 922 is written on the transmission cover of a ckd E46 318i yr2002 (N42B20). Is this fitted with ZF or GM gearbox? Recently I saw a workshop in PG pouring 4 bottles of ZF brand's synthetic oil into a 318i (also N42B20) instead of Texaco/Esso as mentioned above.

Is the ZF oil equiv or OE to the BMW ATF oil?

7. Mouse

Mouse Club Guest

from what i understand, both ESSO and ZF fuild have the same spec, hence both also can be used

8. viewfinder

viewfinder Club Guest

Any clue about where to find the Texaco ETL 7045E (BMW part# 83 22 0 026 922)? In the US forums people have to buy the 10liter bottle... I wonder if A.B. or Sapura Auto carries it. Checked with Bavarian Auto, they only carry the ZF ATF oil.

The ZF fully synthetic ATF and ESSO are NOT the right ATF oil for the GM gearbox. Ace99 apparently asked the same question 1 year ago but no response.

9. pujiesss

pujiesss Club Guest

sorry to kacau e46 thread.. :D im a e36er.. oso got lifetime thinging for ATF. bought car from my uncle, and he told me not to change ATF.. now 250,000++ oredi, nothing bad happen. must say my uncle really know how to take care of car.. dis e36 is his 4th UDM.. and now his 5th is e46.. haha~

10. Mouse

Mouse Club Guest

bro, at 250,000 if anything happen also no regreat lar, coz your gearbox can tahan so long very good lar. i think most of the guys here will be very happy if our gearbox can touch 200,000KM without problem.