1. Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

Msport: 320d vs 325i

Discussion in 'E90, E91, E92, E93' started by anxious, Apr 8, 2010.

1. supergripen

supergripen Club Guest

It would be nice tho if u can have the best of both.

Mercedes has done so I believe..in the C250CGI.Its a 1.8 turbocharged petrol engine that has the torque and consumption of a diesel,combined with the convenience and the revvy nature of a petrol.

I think the next 3er will feature such an engine as BMW moves to turbocharging.The next 325i is said to feature a 2.0 4cyl turbo with circa 220-250bhp.Mind,this is just pure speculation from my readings at the e90POST forum.

2. astroboy

astroboy Well-Known Member

C250CGI cannot deactivate stability control right? Making it a boring car on spirited drive or tracking .. :D Not suitable for some1 who is located in "Sepang".. :D

Bear in mind that anxious was anxious about this other issue with the NA E90, the take off sluggishness. Is it better with the 320d variant? and yes, both may hit 100kph within 7.7~8sec but my money is on the 320d for the first 30~50kph, or from a cruising 30kph to 80kph, and that's what u want in Georgetown roads.. :wink:

3. fabianyee

fabianyee Founding Member

BMW is working toward dynamic and efficiency goals.. And turbo does increase power efficiency when tuned correctly. Modern turbo tech has come a long way and turbo lag is a thing of the past now... unless u put in a big big snail aimed at high end horsepower chase..

4. supergripen

supergripen Club Guest

I did consider the C250CGI,even before it was introduced here.But a Merc is a Merc.Mere mortal small engined Mercs are a tad dull I must agree..BUT the mighty AMGs are magnificent machines,only problem is most can't afford one.
    I do live next to the circuit,for real bro!:wink: Only problem is the last time I've driven on track was ages ago..forgot the lines already meh..was there in my ill handling(RIP) supercharged e60 and I was all over the shop la..malu:eek:

Need to ask Fabian for a taxi ride and some recurrent instructions la:D

5. supergripen

supergripen Club Guest

Totally agreed.

I like the direction BMW is moving towards..my next car is going to be an F30:rock:

6. dzuljazz2001

dzuljazz2001 Official Member

:rock:

Euro 1 - 6 = is the (emission) standard of diesel and yes they are already working on Euro 6 (to be made available by the year 2014).
    For passenger cars, the standards are defined in g/km.
    For lorries (trucks) they are defined by engine power, g/kWh :biggrin:

As for the letter "M", it's just a letter to classify the type/category of vehicle and before Euro 5 was introduce, passenger vehicles > 2500 kg were considered as light commercial vehicles.

M = Passenger Car
    N1 -I = Light Commercial Vehicle (< or equal to 1305kg)
    N1 -II= Light Commercial Vehicle (1305 kg - 1760kg)

Different category of vehicle have a different standard of emission permissable within the European Union and to differentiate the standard, the Euro 1 - 6, was devised.

Hope that answer your "curiousity" :biggrin:

:rock::smokin::smokin:

7. anxious

anxious Club Guest

I test drove the X1 2.0d and the 320d this weekend.

The X1 2.0d is a fabulous car if u r looking for a 4WD and it'll certainly take away some sales from the 3 series.

Of course the 320d is much more lighter and nimble.It can touch 180kmph b4 u even realise it. Very rapid.

However the vibration from the floor when the car is stationary is just too much for me. I guess you cant have everything.

As for buying a demo car for under RM200k, I'll pass that oppurtunity even if i could after realising how much people are goin to just "hentam" the car when they "test" it.

Looks like it a 325 for me. I also realised that the sports/bucket seat wasnt really for me as I am a stout 9x kg person. So a pre FC non sport 325i would be it for me. Now I have to sit back and wait for the prices to fall a bit more b4 I pick one up.

Thks again for all ur comments. I really appreciate it. I am sre that the readers of this forum have also benefited.

PS I also sat in a 525i whilst waiting for my test drive car and am convinced tha at 39, I am not ready for the 5 series yet.

8. pswchan

pswchan Club Guest

Not sure about C250, but E200 and E250 can deactivate. Try driving the C250 first and compare with 320D. I tested the C250 and it's almost as quick as a Golf GTI. Not a bad effort by MB really.:top:

9. stanleycck

stanleycck Club Guest

Just my 2 cents

It is true that town driving in Penang with a 6 in-line, 2497cc beast can be cumbersome..........thats why I do not ronda much in Georgetown during my trips home, especially on Sat and Sun......I only bring her out at night........the 320d may be a better choice in this case though have not tested one yet......but when on an open road.........this 6 potter really moves..........might get an upper hand in this case.

10. supergripen

supergripen Club Guest

U can actually deactivate the system but it's not a full deactivation.It'll still come in at the very last minute.

Having said that,I think the new C handles very very well indeed.In Avantgarde trim,sporty handling is pretty good whilst still retaining excellent ride comfort.Not something I can say about the e90 Msport.

The C250CGI is worth having a look at if u're looking the best of both petrol m diesel.

11. Schwepps

Schwepps Senior Member

Bro, just in case you're not aware, the M-seats have adjustable side supports. There's a toggle switch at the corner of the driver's and front passenger's seats that allows you to pump up the side supports fully or deflate them fully. When fully pumped up, they crimp the small of the back, but when fully deflated, they're just like any seats without side supports. Also the front of the seats can be extended to give more thigh support, which is really great for long highway drives. To me, the M-Sports seats are the best thing since sliced bread! :cool:

The Sports versions are really value for money because you get so many extras for so few extra $$. I thought you're a very value for money guy? :)

12. anxious

anxious Club Guest

Thanks, I didnt know that.

13. Schwepps

Schwepps Senior Member

The list price difference back then was RM20k, and for that, you got:
    - iDrive
    - Sat Nav
    - M-steering wheel
    - M-sports seats
    - M-aerodynamics kit
    - M-sports wheels

All that is worth a lot more than RM20k bro...

14. astroboy

astroboy Well-Known Member

Schwepps, u forgot the most important M-Sport feature and that's the stiffer anti roll bar and suspension that give the M-Sport a beautiful drop and sweet handling! :love:

15. Schwepps

Schwepps Senior Member

You're so right, AB. M-Suspension itself would probably cost RM20k if you installed it later. The whole list of goodies added to the 325i Sports is worth many times RM20k. :)

ALIAS likes this.
  16. VKS

VKS Club Guest

Good choice and taste...if you can stretch abit of your budget like the other guys saying..you would never regret the M-Sport model with lotsa goodies :burnout:

17. viewfinder

viewfinder Club Guest

Agree with above on the M-Sport model if diesel is out of your consideration. Especially that you're not in a hurry. Besides the price delta between M-sport vs non-M for used car maybe less than RM20k.

18. anxious

anxious Club Guest

Thanks guys. Based on ur comments, I'll definitely consider the Msport model. Furthermore, my target is to change next year when I hit 40 ( my wife's birthday present to me...but I still got to pay for it), unless I find an irrestible deal sooner.

19. supersonic

supersonic Club Guest

Hi guys, Just want to add that 325 and the 320d are both msport. The only difference other than the engine is that 325 comes with idrive and navigation while the diesel dont. Am I right?

20. Schwepps

Schwepps Senior Member

What they specify for the 'Sports' model of each model variant may not necessarily be the same. BTW, they're called 'Sports' and not 'M-Sports'. It would be interesting to know what is added for each variant. For the 325i, it's:

- iDrive
    - Sat Nav
    - M-Steering Wheel
    - M-Sports Seats
    - M-Suspension
    - M-Aerodynamics kit
    - M-Sports wheels (193M)