1. Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

Msport: 320d vs 325i

Discussion in 'E90, E91, E92, E93' started by anxious, Apr 8, 2010.

1. anxious

anxious Club Guest

Anyone test drove both recently? Any thoughts?

Philitessy likes this.
  2. bmw7833

bmw7833 Club Guest

No more e39 bro?

3. hakeemi

hakeemi Club Guest

hi,

i tested the 320d a month back. the torque is damn good, BUT once u're u got the speed u wanted then u realized... its a 320 afterall.... i prefer my 325i. :)

considering the fuel consumption and for urban driving, 320d would make a GREAT car, i would say.

regards

p/s: if i have the money, i dont mind having 320d in my garage. :rock:

4. anxious

anxious Club Guest

Well, the owner of the 528 loves his car too much to part with it. My thoughts are back with the E90....for now:wink:

5. anxious

anxious Club Guest

Got this from MITI's website:-

V. Clear Roadmap for the Implementation of Fuel Standards
    Since September 2009, EURO 2M specification for petrol and diesel has been implemented. The Government has now set a clear target of implementing EURO 4M specification for petrol and diesel by 2011. The Ministry of Natural Resources and Environment will establish a roadmap for fuel standards and quality.

So Euro 4 diesel in Msia by next year?...provided Najib's still around and no more flip flop.

What does 4M stand for?

6. anxious

anxious Club Guest

I spend 80% of my time in Penang urban driving, so I dont really get to rev my car that much. The diesel's torque sounds interesting.

7. supergripen

supergripen Club Guest

I test drove the 320d three times,the third time was just for the hell of it.Almost bought one if not for the deletion of the iDrive.With 4M diesel,200bhp and 420Nm is just an ECU tweak away,which got me interested.In the end tho,I went for a 335i.The other choice I was considering was the mk6 Golf GTi and the Audi A4 2.0t.Says a lot about the 320d,doesn't it?

It was such a fun car to drive due to the humungous wad of torque available from such low engine speeds.You get excellent fuel economy with terrific 'scootability'..just a fab car.

The 325i is a totally different animal..its all about the silky smooth all singing inline-6.Its equally as fast(I think) as the 320d but in a totally different way.One is a torque monster with great low/med end pull and the other is a high revving masterpiece.

Take ur pick.

ideoteque85 likes this.
  8. anxious

anxious Club Guest

A 2006 325i is still well above RM150k. In fact I think the asking price is about RM170k....thats a 4 yaer old car. If I can get a pre reg 320d for under RM200k, then it just might be worth bitting the bullet.

9. gameover

gameover Club Guest

If you can get a pre-reg 320d for under 200k please let me know too :D I've checked around but can't seem to find any 320d under 235k...

10. achtung

achtung Club Guest

driven both...

The 325i is a 218bhp 2.5 litre straight six which gets to 0-100 in under 8 seconds and at the same time sounds sweet and it revs to 7000rpm to 240+km/h ( haven't tested :burnout:) less torque than the 320d...

:fight:

320d, 4 cyl 177bhp 2.0 diesel that sounds like a bag of spanners :107:(no offence :42:), gets 0 to 100 in 8 seconds, loads of torque and tops out at 228 km/h and has probably a decent rev range from 2000-4000rpm when u tekan. wish we had better diesel quality here.. soon in 2011

this is from nst and i quote

"Five reasons for going diesel:

1 Diesel burns less fuel because it has more energy.

2 No high-tension electrical ignition systems to attend to. Therefore diesel cars can go through flood water without any misfiring.

3 Diesel engines last longer. The life of a diesel engine is generally twice that of a petrol engine due to increased strength of parts used and because diesel fuel has better lubrication properties than petrol.

4 Diesel fuel is considered safer than petrol as it will not explode.

5 The carbon monoxide content of the exhaust is minimal, which is why diesel engines are used in underground mines.

Diesel as compared to petrol:

● 20 per cent more power
    ● 75 per cent more torque
    ● 30 per cent less fuel consumption
    ● 20 per cent less carbon dioxide emission
    ● 30 sen per litre cheaper "

IMO, i'll take the diesel only if the world ran out of petrol...:playingball:

11. astroboy

astroboy Well-Known Member

320d is designed for Georgetown driving! Tekan, Go! Tekan, Go! No engine straining to get it up to speed and u'll forget when was the last time u refill, was it last week? was it the week before?! :D full waranty, BSRI, new car smell, low new car interest, u dun like virgin!? :eek:

12. wc9922

wc9922 Club Guest

This 320d is an amazing car......Torque-unlimited, don't sound like diesel on the move, sports package excellent, handling excellent. Go get it.

13. anxious

anxious Club Guest

I had a brief test a few months back when it was launched. It was a fantastic drive from AB Pg to Jelutong Expressway and back.

However when the car was stationary, whilst I was in the drivers seat, I felt vibrations through my feet from the floorpan. Engine mounts?

14. astroboy

That's the only set back thus far.. at stationary, the engine vibrates a little and make u worry about the durability of the engine mount.. :smokin: I won't say the 6-potter is a perfect car anyway.. :cool:

15. supergripen

supergripen Club Guest

Haha..I like the way u put it:21:

16. Schwepps

Schwepps Senior Member

Diesel's the way to go from now on.

Don't forget, fuel subsidies start rolling back after 1 May. RM1.80/l is unsustainable and the real price is RM2.10-2.20 right now. There are no reminders about it because there's an important by-election coming. ;)

Expect to see more diesel variant launches in the 2nd half after the fuel increases, and in advance of 4M diesel and more pumps next year. Small diesels from the French for sure, and the Japs and Koreans too. And Merc, now that they've linked up with Renault. Ford has already launched their Focus diesel. I'm sure BMW will intro a bigger-engined diesel 3-er, possibly with iDrive and such enhancements, after launching the new 5-er.

17. viewfinder

viewfinder Club Guest

. . . . . .

18. VKS

VKS Club Guest

For Penang driving i suggest 320d as u can only enjoy sprinting over there... i can hardly tekan my 325 at Jelutong Expressway and that road is found to be dangerous in many way as well...so sometimes out of frustration i will simply go out from Penang till wherever makes me happy then come back home shivering hehe..

One is turbocharged and another is NA so its still up to the person what he actually wanted..for me i always wanted a 325 for its revvy engine and never bother much about consumption or reliability issue as i know im commiting to a BMW...

But if have a chance to own both, then i will certainly go for 325 and VW Gti :rock: hehe

19. Schwepps

Schwepps Senior Member

Is there really a smell from the modern diesels though? I was standing next to an idling 320d recently and didn't detect a smell.

99% of the time we're only urban driving or highway cruising. I think for both, a modern diesel is probably a better drive than a petrol. The high torque will take over from the high revving as the driver turn on. ;)

20. astroboy

Haha... driving characteristic would be summarised by:

"Tekan, GO! Tekan, GO!" versus "Tekan, Kick down.. Tariiiikkkkkkkkkk.." :D :D

Sounds like a Toyota VVTi versus Honda VTEC comparison.. :p :D I prefer Toyota :top: old man liao.. :p