1. Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

Would you pick an E39 or E46?

Discussion in 'BMW Talk' started by silverwave, Jul 22, 2017.

1. silverwave

silverwave Club Guest

Hi, I'm looking for a weekend car to satisfy my BMW craving. I've set a budget of RM20k or a little more than that for this. I've already got a Camry for my daily use now.

Based on my research, many forums recommended to get an E39 since it's an all rounder car and has a balance between comfort and power.

I'm still pondering if I should get another D segment or go for an E46. The 2 doors E46 caught my attention but it's a little more than Rm30k.

Just to add, I'm usually driving alone and I'll be 30 years this year.

Feel free to share your opinion.

hottPoeks and silverwave like this.
  2. d4ngerz0ne

d4ngerz0ne New Member

20k is going to get you a lemon . Or a 318/520 thats underpowered and not something you might enjoy.

though if it's just a weekend car , probably an e46. You'd need to budget another 10-15k to refresh most wear and tear items.

3. EL118

EL118 Club Guest

I have had both, E39 won by a miles in terms of handling, if that is what you are looking for.

4. beemerback

beemerback Official Member

E39. Mine was a 523i. Household had an E46 320i. I enjoyed driving the E39 more. The registration no was WKQ7228. Saw it on Mudah last year. Going for abt 20k

5. silverwave

silverwave Club Guest

For E39, the max i've seen is around 25k.

For E46, i've seen up to 40k and it's definitely more expensive than an E39.

I've seen some really tip top condition being sold but then again i need to bring the car for a check before confirming.

I've always thought it was the other way around, since E46 is smaller and seems more agile. Comfort and space, no doubt it's E39.

What other plus points does E39 have besides handling and comfort over E46? How about reliability?

6. beemerback

beemerback Official Member

I tend to agree that the e46 handles better. Its nippy and more precise at corners. But I prefers comfort and space and that's why I chose the 5'er. In terms of reliability, I believe it depends on the condition of the vehicle. At this age, both can be a pain If it has not been well taken cared off.
    Whichever model you choose and if you are willing to spend, change all those parts (preventive maintenance) and both machines can still give you some good years of spirited driving

7. d4ngerz0ne

d4ngerz0ne New Member

When it comes to a car of this age , "tip-top" as describe by the stealer is a complete farce.Their definition of "tip-top" is like "bro, still can drive ma" . Tampered warning lights , mileage , shoddy paint work etc. Ask me how i know. lol

if you can get a e46 for 40k with complete service records , i'd go for that instead of a 25k e39 that needs another 15k in preventive/remedial work. .

Unless you're buying from an enthusiast, be prepared .

Still depends on what your aim is for the car ? some canyon craving or just leisurely cruise?

8. silverwave

silverwave Club Guest

Noted, thanks!

9. silverwave

silverwave Club Guest

You must have been a victim :64:

A lot of research to be done before getting one, I'm not in a rush so i will take my sweet time.

The BMW will be mainly to feed my itchiness of the sporty driving, i can't do that with the Camry.

The whole thing started with me wanting to get an E28 from a relative but the mechanic told me not to go for that unit. He said it will cost at least Rm40k-Rm50k to do up the car. That's when i've narrowed it down to E39 and E46 including the coupe version. Based on my latest browsing, E90 and E60 are also below Rm50k now.

10. ay39

ay39 President Staff Member Club Committee

I once owned both the E39 530i and the E46 328i together. E39 wins hands down, the E46 was good for my wife in town use because steering is lighter than the E39, but on the highways, nothing will come close to an E39.

11. silverwave

silverwave Club Guest

I read about the heaviness of the E39 steering, is it really the heavy? Perhaps that is why it is very stable for high speeds? How about town use?

12. d4ngerz0ne

d4ngerz0ne New Member

e90s are fairly affordable now . I've actually moved on to the e90 platform. :D

In comparison to current cars, yes it is heavy and might take some getting use to is coming from a camry. But quite sure you'll come to love it over the japanese steering . Its very precise and accurate for such a heavy car , but can feel a bit muted (which can be a good thing given our roads) . Never had an issue in town .

13. warrenvick

warrenvick New Member

An E46 is good enough ... there are a few on sale and even mine is as I will be upgrading to a bmw as well.... Go for it man.. all good.. its still a beemer