1. Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

Water "Disappearing" From Tank

Discussion in 'E46' started by terry8, Jul 11, 2010.

1. boys toy auto

boys toy auto Club Guest

never say that the most important to cool the engine need the water, like human need the water bro.:love:

2. masCh

masCh Club Guest

I meant.. =P the problem with water disappearing is not as sakit as the problem with the new engine giving out white smoke and oil leaking.. of course it is also important but now even more headache..

3. boys toy auto

boys toy auto Club Guest

:eek::eek:
    bro jangan marah ye........... salah dapat info . i setuju 89% sahaja baki must ask my sifu.:eek::love::top::sleep:

4. jarance

jarance Founding Member

OK a small update....

The water level in the radiator seem to be OK after 500 KM traveling. However, I notice that there are some white stain like a burst of water splashing on the passenger side of the engine bay. It was found on hood (insulation), some on the hoses, some on the air filter, some on the power steering reservoir. Wonder where the water come from. I did notice that there are water condensation on the radiator fin when the engine is cold.

mmmmmm............... puzzled..... at least now not losing water like last time...

5. jarance

jarance Founding Member

Just an Update.

It been more than a month have passed. I did not have to top up any water.. I am happy now.

6. SeanWoos

SeanWoos Club Guest

It been a year passes by seem like NO water leaking problem to everyone..!! Congratulation....

Now my 530D has some water disappear problem..!! i been topping up water every 2 days (1.5liter)....!! Will sent it Foreman to check tomorrow...!!

7. initialM

initialM Official Member

For newly bought used car it is advisable to replace the cooling system unless you got the maintenance record from previous owner

8. beemerback

beemerback Official Member

I have been having my X5 for 4 months now. During the first week of ownership, I have replaced the expansion tank and cap (on advise) and have not top-up any water since then.

Suddenly last week...."ting" Check Coolant Level" and about 600ml water was added in. Is it normal to top-up water after some time? I am monitoring the water level on a 2-day basis now and has been using the car everyday. Yesterday I went up to a farm and did hill climbing and exploring (see my comment in X series - are u proud of your X). I will check the water level tomorrow morning. No warning came on so far.

Do you guys do topping up every month or so?

9. initialM

initialM Official Member

No topping required every month. But it is good to check water level regularly. If there is reduction. There should be a leak somwhere in cooling system. If ur unlucky if the head gasket leak then top overhaul required. Best thing is to do preventive maintenance.

10. beemerback

Agree with you that there should not be any topping ups. Having owned many cars before, none has required any scheduled water/coolant topping ups. There must be a leak somewhere but it may not be serious yet, so yes, preventive is better than cure.

11. beemerback

I meant prevention is better than cure.

12. SeanWoos

SeanWoos Club Guest

Today i sent my ride to touch up after yesterday sent my car to change all the leather seat in Carbi Deco.......still not enough time to sent to M-World......

After reaching home...i pop up the bonnet & remove the engine cover...!!
    To my surprise....all the coolant green stain are everywhere :stupid::stupid:......!! damn ....now tomorrow..early morning must sent to workshop already.....!!

13. initialM

initialM Official Member

This is common mistake by most owner. Always do cosmetics than maintenance. U r buying used car not brand new.
    BMW is very delicate car I've seen enuff people can buy BMW but cant maintain. U have to pray hard it will cause major problem.

14. SeanWoos

SeanWoos Club Guest

Today sent to BM World for health check & found the culprit......Its the Plastic hose attach to the thermostat that has a fine hairline crack....and as well change the some rubber hose next to it.....!! Now healthy again............:wink::wink:

15. terry8

terry8 Club Guest

Well my first mechanic destroyed the thread of my engine when he overhauled it and did not tell me. I went to another mechanic and replaced with 2nd hand engine. everything is running fine now. Also there was a slight leak in the water tank cap. Changed that as well.

Terry

16. B33mEr

B33mEr Club Guest

Ok now it's my turn huhuhu ... Water is disappearing every 2 weeks. I suspect my radiator is leaking and possibly my thermostat too. Will send car to workshop on wednesday to confirm.

P/s: This is a great thread ... lots of valuable info :top:

Edit: Went to the car and check the expansion tank there's traces water deposit on the lower half of the expansion tank. Aiya ... this will be my 2nd expansion tank. Last changed at July 2010 summore with ori parts ... lasted 1yr 6 month only if true :( Still have to confirm with my mech.

17. jarance

jarance Founding Member

picture please of the white stain.

18. initialM

initialM Official Member

Expansion tank is not durable. Need to change every 1 to 2 yrs depend on usage.

19. initialM

initialM Official Member

White stain sometimes can see on your pants if damn horny...... cabutssssssss

20. B33mEr

B33mEr Club Guest

Ok will take pic tomorrow morning

Yup but i would have thought it would last at least two years or more with ori parts. Still it could be something else. We'll find out this wednesday.

Hahahahaha ... that happens when 'bil air dah lama tak bayar' ...... cabutsssssss