1. Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

E36 328I - many units on sale

Discussion in 'E36' started by boonster, Dec 20, 2005.

1. boonster

boonster Club Guest

been looking at the classified and motortrader and there seems to be lots of 328 for sale..... interesting especially only 50k plus for 8-9 year old model.... may be something to think about....

2. supergripen

supergripen Club Guest

i'd prefer the 325i e36 with steel block'd engines..engine is so tunable with stroker kits and superchargers.better with manual box..great power potential with so little outlay(relatively speaking la..) :D

..so unlike my wimpy m52b28tu

3. dvng

dvng Club Guest

gettin a e36 328i is requires a major decision since the maintenance cost is slightly higher than the 318i or 325i. The main damage comes from the road tax at a hefty RM1.6k++. Be warned..it is cheaper to run a 318i or 325i, even the depriaciation value of a 318i holds better than the 328i....

4. boonster

boonster Club Guest

318's have traditionally held its second hand value very well, and some say one of the best together with merc and toyotas...... i think it is the image thing plus a UDM is a pretty amazing creature....

the 328 is truely powerful and off course expensive.... the 325 just seems to miss the power band a little bit unless you mod the engine....

single vanos is available in some of the overseas 328 but sadly not here as i understand it.... that would be something....

5. Slide

Slide Club Guest

I was under the impression that all 328s came with singel vanos, and the e46 got the double vanos.

IMHO, a 328 with a lighter aluminium block and more torque will be a better buy than a 325.

6. Vanquish

Vanquish Club Guest

Boon,

The E36 328i is equipped with the M52B28 engine and it's already a single VANOS design. The M52B28TU that came with the E46 328i is a dual VANOS design. Either way, get a well sorted and looked after E36 328i and you'll know what sorta difference the additional 30NM of torque (over the 325i) makes. Of course a nice 5 or 6 speed manual tranny or a 5 speed auto tranny still wud have completed the whole package .... too bad you can't have it all at times.

Cheers,

7. boonster

boonster Club Guest

thanks for the info... this would mean the e36 328 has the same engine as the e38 728? have driven that and it was nice, not as nice as the 740 v8... what a beast.....

have a old e32 735 as a spare car who is aging and time for changing too many things.... the 328 will be nice

8. ALBundy

ALBundy Founding Member

I think the M52 engine block issue/weakness has been greatly exaggerated. The M52 engine is more advanced than the M50tu in many aspects. Not only is the engine 30 kg lighter (aluminium also dissipates heat faster than cast iron), but there are other enhancements like shorter piston (and hence lighter with less friction), lighter valve springs and smaller hydraulic lifters, extra cooling fins on the cylinder head and etc. Yeah, you cant stroke and bore an aluminium block, but for heavens sake, how many have actually stroked and bored their engines?? Maybe some of us know better than the BMW engineers?? :rolleyes:

I think the problem with all these folks is mainly due to their unwillingness to fork out RM1,600 a year for road tax. If, you can afford it get the 2.8 engine, the extra 30NM torque goes a loonnnnnngggg wayyyyy :D :)

9. Crymson

Crymson Club Guest

Right on Bundy :eek:k:

10. Donald

Donald Club Guest

Road tax is only once a year, but you going to feel the power everyday.
    There is different when you driving 325 & 328 especially when going uphill.
    and overtakes car.

Lets pain once a year and enjoy everyday. :D

11. flash

flash Club Guest

:D Not to mention having to eat Maggi mee everyday.... :D

12. dvng

dvng Club Guest

i dont think it works that if u have to pay insurance and car loan at the same instant..easily..RM3k++on that month alone. If u earn RM3k..u cant even afford maggi mee..

13. supergripen

supergripen Club Guest

yeah..it can be a pain if u are not ready to fork out that amount of money once a year.but if u plan ur finances carefully,its not all that bad.i mean,u know WHEN u need to fork out the money for it every year right?? so if u plan and save accordingly it shudn't be too much of a hassle.
    no doubt the 28 makes more torque than the 25 and its alu-block is lighter etc etc but from a tuning point of view it has its limitations..kinda limits ur options doesn't it??
    and we haven't even touched about the magnesium alloy block yet...

14. 535i

535i Club Guest

ish .. ish .. ish ...

wait until u get 3.5 under the hood with 300 nm+ torque ... :hmmph:

15. Vanquish

Vanquish Club Guest

Bang oi !!!

These days, a well sorted 3 litre like the M54B30 can gip you 300NM of torque also. Why contribute so much taxes back to the gomen ??? :p

16. 535i

535i Club Guest

17. 535i

535i Club Guest