1. Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

'06 120i or '08 116i?

Discussion in '1 Series' started by godfather, Jun 26, 2011.

1. godfather

godfather Club Guest

Good day to all 1ers, would like some advices:A) 2008, 1.16i, 25k - 30k mileage.B) 2006, 1.20i, 50k - 60k mileage.Both are second hand, price more or less the same. Which one is a better pick?If I'm not mistaken, the '08 116i should be facelifted whereby the '06 120i is not. However, I understand that the 120i is more powerful but due to the year (2006), 5 years car, I am worry that I need to take more extra care/repair compare to the '08 1er.Your advices/opinions from you are much appreicated. Thanks in advance.Cheers.

2. seewai

seewai S62B50

Hello godfather, first of all, welcome to the forum! You reached the right place for advice.

Is this going to be your first UDM? Anyway, my advice is you could get a foreman to take a look and/or evaluate both cars before judging which one is more worthy of buying.

What is the price anyway? I'm guessing around RM120k?

Cheers.
    seewai

3. godfather

godfather Club Guest

Yeah, will have a check on the condition. But assuming both have the same condition, no major problems, which one is better pick?

Correct me if I'm wrong, 2006 and 2008 one is pre-facelift and another one is post-facelift and the engine is different from 2007 onwards as I have read some in the posts. I would like to know more what are the changes between these 2006 and 2008 in the 1 series.

The price is around there :)

Cheers.

4. seewai

seewai S62B50

Found something in wikipedia, may be you could refer to this link -> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_1_Series_(E81)

But I still prefer to get a mechanic to connect to OBDII to get the full details, while doing a full diagnostics on the car.

Reg year and car specs in Malaysia sometimes could be confusing.

Like my 2003 E39, "latest batch" but had amber colour tail, fender, front signals lamps instead of clear ones.

5. bukanmain

bukanmain Club Guest

if i were you i wouldve took the earliest year..due to wear and tear chances are lesser..if youre saying engine conditions are almost the same..theres so many parts to take a look at like bushes,mounting,brake pumps,oil seals..

get a trusty foreman to help you see the cars in details..

6. seewai

seewai S62B50

7. tehyw

tehyw Club Guest

buy mine! i go 118i... selling!!!

my guess is the 116i is a manual? more fun!

8. seewai

seewai S62B50

Bro you're gonna have PM...

9. godfather

godfather Club Guest

Btw 1ers who is driving 120i, what is the fuel consumption? I test drive the one that day it was stated 11.5l/100km. Isn't it too much? Btw, I was driving slow at the town area. Perhaps it is normal?

10. ahb

ahb Club Guest

im getting about 12l/100 km ... its pretty high actually ... not to mention im on 18inch rims. if you driving on highway ... you probably getting about 9l/100

11. Histlers

Histlers Club Guest

i think 116i is better :)

12. ahb

ahb Club Guest

you be surprise that in germany their 1ers are 112i and 114i.

but anyway, just go with the car with lower miledge. you dont want to know the bill for full service when you hit 100k.

13. azlanyeng

azlanyeng Club Guest

Go for 120i bro, at end of day you will want the power!!

Otherwise sure regret buying!

Just my 2cents

Cheers

14. azlanyeng

azlanyeng Club Guest

See my reply on 118i a good buy? For futher review of 1 series bro!

15. astroboy

astroboy Well-Known Member

It'll be nice if there's a 113i and make it a 7-seater so I can replace my Avanza.. :4:

16. Nazreen

Nazreen Club Guest

Hi there,

I'm new to this forum and would like to know more in buying a pre-owned 120i msport. The mileage for this car is ard 75k and it is a 2007 model. Is it wise to consider to buy a 5 year old car with such mileage? Will there be problems with after 5 years and what sort of wear and tear parts that's usually due after 5 years?

Dont want to be making a hasty decision in buying a car that's gonna give me more problems.

Hope you can help out.

Thanks!

17. MFLooi

MFLooi Club Guest

Hi all,
    This is to share my experience of owning a pre-loved 116i, manual transmission, pre-facelift, 5 year old car. I own a pre-loved 116i for 6 months now. It has chalked 129,500km now.
    When I took over the vehicle, it has a leaking oil sump. The gasket has gave way. So did the gasket for the oil filter head. I had it changed. I also changed the all brake pads & brake sensors, rear windows' power window system.

Suspension was not up to par and the 3rd party mechanic says that the absorber needs to be changed. I felt it was alright, back then. Never the less, I had the dampner, absorber(changed to BOGE), any many other components except for the spring, changed. The behaviour of the car changed dramatically. Driving at highway, especially at the Karak - Bentong stretch was a JOY! Driving at 120kmph around corners was never an issue as the car sticks like a glue onto the tarmac. What scares me is Hilux(s) driving faster than me.

Today, I did preventive maintenance to the car by changing the air cond belt, pulleys, cabin filter, coolant & fuel filter. I intend to change the transmission oil even though it is said that its needs not be changed. I will change it because it intend to ride it for a long time and wants the car to be in tip top condition.

Almost all of my component parts are obtained from Singapore.

Fuel Consumption: A full tank normally lets me run 550km range with 100+km to spare. On my recent trip up north, I managed 720km distance with 100km to spare. However, I had to drive 90kmph on the PLUS to get this. Was just trying things out.

Does anyone of you knows what are the other components(major) that have to be changed as part of major service interval (100,000+km)?

I certainly look forward to your feedbacks.

18. seewai

seewai S62B50

Nice write-up there MFLooi.

However I haven't got much to share with you on major service yet as she is just about to reach 40k km.

Cheers.

19. phas3r

phas3r Club Guest

get 106i la.. can fight kancil 660 :D

20. tehyw

tehyw Club Guest