1. Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

Z3 2.2 experience

Discussion in 'Z Series' started by KT_wolves, Feb 13, 2008.

1. KT_wolves

KT_wolves Club Guest

Does anyone have the same scary experience?Bought this 2001 Silver Z3....took delievery ..10 minutes later, negotiated a sharp bend beautifully, kicked-down hard coming on straight road...THEN this Z3 veered sharply, almost 90degree to left, went up curb and crashed . Saved by the seat-belt (driver side air-bag did not fully inflate) to tell.And what do you think might be the problems?KT

2. Iqlima

Iqlima Club Guest

not enough driving skill

3. KT_wolves

KT_wolves Club Guest

What driving skill?

What driving skill? Idiot can keep a steering wheel straight. I am not heading straight, I am already on straight!
    The pull left was so hard, so quick, it was unbelievable.

By the way, I used to run Honda CRX for years, 90 degree corner turn at 110km/h.

This time I am on straight -- DAMNED straight --straight steering position, my friend.

Experience wise, the only different is this is a back-driven car as comapred to my own experience of CRX which was a front-wheel-drive.

Currently driving Mercedes C230, kick down all the time -

Bought car for wife, was doing a test run. supposed luckily that I did.

Still can't believe a kick-down on Z3 2.2 can cause such a violent reaction. Car was travelling at about 50 km/h when kicked-down. Dry day too.

4. astroboy

astroboy Well-Known Member

Maybe a flat tyre at the front?

What happen to all the electrical stability gadgets? Dun have meh? Off? or mulfunction?

5. KT_wolves

KT_wolves Club Guest

Hard to tell now, all front tyres flattened and one back tyre damaged - due to Car hit curb at 90 degree angle.

Could be the only explanation.

6. Jeffroom

Jeffroom Club Guest

Maybe one of ur front disc brake is spoilt and jam the whole brake thts y ur car go 1sided..Possible!!!!

7. KT_wolves

KT_wolves Club Guest

Disc brake jammed - Unfortunately that is a technical impossibility -

8. pussy

pussy Club Guest

could be anything....

i believe you made a mistake by taking the car after delivery and whacking it without :

1. making sure the wheel alinement's was done..

2. making sure that the tyres and pressure was right..

3. checking for any fault codes that was hidden( covered by the used car)..

4. brakes jamming up.. cars that age surely must have seized calipers..

what i see it was a left rear wheel lock up... the gearbox might have lock up, hence the veered to the left.. i dun think so that your car has LSD...the manuals comes with LSD...

regards.

9. KT_wolves

KT_wolves Club Guest

Could be anything - quote

HUH !

10. pussy

pussy Club Guest

Hmmnn... from your comments, you sound quite pissed off....

First time buying a BMW ?

by the way, you are lucky to be alive, some people go side ways and end up in the front of a truck ....

11. shaifulo

shaifulo Club Guest

pussy, u sounded like my mech few years back

i think the tires just prolly hit a bad spot when u stepped on the gas...maybe on gravel or oil patch

12. pussy

pussy Club Guest

bro... he sounds damn pissed off when Iglima mentioned that it was bad driving skill...

must ask Tuan Jyazid, he quite professional in this...

13. chaiks

chaiks Club Guest

It could be the cornering momentum, plus your kick-down acceleration = oversteer! Front and back-driven car behaved a whole lot different when cornering at high speed. I guess thats why Iglima said that.

I would've send the car to the mechanic for diagnostic and suspension checking and alignment, first, before going on a spirited drive. I will certainly replace most of the oils, as the car may have been stationed for a long time. Don't think the dealer will do all this prep for you on delivery. I did all that for an e39, & will certainly do more if its an FR 2 seater roadster.

Cheers mate.

14. KT_wolves

KT_wolves Club Guest

Everyone should be aware it could be happen to them!
    A car as powerful as the 2.2 could be lethal, the problems there are many much more powerful ones as well . No more kick-down for them ever ??

Someone here may know the answer.
    on lighter side, Puss NOT YOU, with due respect.

Seriously, to put things in perspective - I have owned and driven, Datsun SSS, Mini Clubman, Alfa Sprint Veloce, BMW 520, Audi A6, Honda CRX, Volvo 850, Merc C240 in that order - Currently own Merc 230, BMW 3.18 and the ill-fated Z3.
    BMW 520 was like a truck and Z3 felt like CRX.

May be a mistake to drive it like a CRX???

15. KT_wolves

KT_wolves Club Guest

Chaiks,

Took delivery direct from owner. Welcomeyour input.

KT

16. QD250

QD250 Founding Member

My opinion:

goes back to driving....... perhaps you drove it like you drove your previous car...... and btw, you are yet to be familiar with the car....

even a 318 could be lethal if driven wrongly.....

17. anaksarawak

anaksarawak Official Member

Sorry to hear about your accident .. Glad you are alright. Hope you can bring back your Z3 back on superb condition.

18. Ramoura

Ramoura Club Guest

Agree as captioned listed.
    Just got myself same machine Z3 2.2i recently. But have done necessary check up in fact before bought it. Check under carriage, change brake pad etc. This is the last batch production c/w M54 engine Double Vanos 170hp. So pretty quick for the size.
    So sorry to hear this especially when you just about to enjoy the excitement of a roadster. Most Importantly you are safe. But personally, i have driven my car at really high speed on one of our regular early sunday morning drive. Chasing some frens in Carrera in front. I must say its realy a well balance safe car to drive especially after i've change a wider 18" wheels/wider rear tyres. But again, safety of us and others road user is primarily important thing that kept me thinking to be a little more extra careful.
    Nway thks for sharing your experience to us.
    I'm goin to see my mechanic now.....

19. KT_wolves

KT_wolves Club Guest

Initial inspection suggested that there was nothing wrong mechanically with the car. It is not possible to ascertain if the left tyre damaged was before or after it hit the curb.
    I had a look at the tyres tracks (skid marks) at site, both left and right tracks looked similar.

The power to weight ratio possibly explains the violent reaction to throttle input. 170 hp is quite a lot for a little car.

Other than back bumper which was damaged by the road curb (6" tall), tyres, alloy rims and expensive air bags, the car is in pretty good condition but still it will cost a fair bit.

I experienced a few minor wet slide or skids in my years of driving but this is the first veer ( and violent one as well) I encountered on dry road driving straight, which should never happen. It must be pebbles or somehing like that as I do see them on the road side(the road is quite new, recently opened).

20. Vincent Hor

Vincent Hor Club Guest