1. Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

Truth about using Michelin PS2 vs Change to What?

Discussion in '5 Series' started by xxxx, Jan 31, 2008.

1. xxxx

xxxx Club Guest

Sorry Im not in mood to ask some pple here abt tire choices in their own thread. But hopefully my first hand experience using PS2 on my own car will help others in their decision.After nearly 2 yrs of using CSC2 (continental), I went hunting a new set. I was too tied up working long hours. So I decided to go to a cnr shop near monash campus in sunway and ask them for the best grip tires to put on my car. I paid rm3660 for 4 (michelin PS2)tires which inc balancing and free alignment. Today it is abt 4 mths since I bought them. My wife hates it. The ride is just too firm and slightly noisier than Continental CSC2. I thot the CSC2 was already firm when I had them but the PS2 is more firmer. Driving frm Sierramas nearly everday to KL is a tiring chore. I don feel like using this tire anymore. I had my E60 checked for suspension problems if any by AB and turned out that my car is still in excellent original cond. It is pointed at the tires as the culprit. What tires to use next? When I tink back, the old CSC2 was not really that bad. I don do ridiculous dangerous cornering and I don drive dangerously fast. I do appreciate safe grip esp when it is raining. But my wife and I want some reasonable comfort and quietness in our car.Can anybody help us? Mr HoMenara KL

2. AlexNg

AlexNg Club Guest

the name PS2 is ppilot SPORT hence the hardness... go for PP2 is my recommendation

3. TTang

TTang Club Guest

you gotta check your tyre pressure or not ah that very important for comfort also too high no good too low no good must check every the 2 weeks performance tire sure hard one if not where got shiok if wet weather you want good use the one tier down tyre not high performance one that mean no PS2 no CSC3

4. astroboy

astroboy Well-Known Member

Hai..ya.. don't play play with tyre ooo.. when lening the road wet wet time ar, PS2 and CSC3 also no good ooo.. 2 also not design for waterly lod ah... if wan good water tyre, go try Goodyear F1 looo... veli shiok in the water one... can control like motor bot ah!

5. berserkdroid

berserkdroid Founding Member

If that was an impersonation, it was pretty close! LOL! :D

Ok, back to the topic...

6. JoeYazid

JoeYazid Founding Member

This mean you need to use a 'passenger tyre' not 'performance tyre' ... try Michelin Energy. or Good Year NCT 5 for comfort and quietness.
    And these tyre is much more cheaper .... but don't use it and run above 200.

7. ah lian

ah lian Club Guest

hi. how about introducing yourself in the newbies section??

8. irsnudd

irsnudd Club Guest

Try Toyo CT01

9. Spaceman

Spaceman Club Guest

if you want comfort, go change to 16" rims and fat tyres. those monsters will definitely give you lots of comfort since you are not into fast driving and cornering.

E60 520i, 523i are fitted with these 16" rims & tyres from factory, they gives you the most comfortable ride.

10. xxxx

xxxx Club Guest

I think......YJYAZID is...

:listen:
    This is what Hin Leong towkay said also! His wife on Saturday told me she uses the humble T1R Toyo on her mercedes. No ultra performance tyre.

On the left side of their 2 shoplots is a pile of used ultra performance tires.
    Michelin PS-2, Falken452,Brigestone 050, Continental CSC2 and Dunlop9000. She told me it is hard to sell and do not want even my good cond PS2 for trade in.

Maybe that explains why many manufacturers choose to use NCT5, Mich Energy, etc

11. E46Fanatic

E46Fanatic Club Guest

Interesting feedback. Between CSC2 and PS2, the PS2 would not have given you such a drastic reduction in comfort. In fact the CSC2 is the more noisy tyre esp when about 50% worn unlike the PS2. Did you change your wheels to lower profile tyres and bigger wheels when u did the tyre swap? Else if anything the PS2 is on par in terms of comfort vs. the CSC2, in some ratings even beating the CSC2 in this area. CSC2 is very soft and comfy when new only, then starts to drone and complain when old heh unlike the PS2.

For ultra high perf tyre, the PS2 is still king when it comes to a balance of comfort and noise vs. performance. Ratings and reviews aside, your experience will still be your experience I guess.

12. AlexNg

AlexNg Club Guest

i always thought the T1Rs were UHP tires

13. E46Fanatic

E46Fanatic Club Guest

Yes they are. Known to have the softest and thinnest sidewalls as well among the rest of the tyres of the same class. If you have rubbing issues with agressive offsets, and fender has been rolled and camber negative, the last resort is the T1R cos of the thinner sidewalls hehe.

Back to the original poster, the price you paid for the PS2 is also quite good. U sure its the PS2 and not PP2 u got there? PS2 is made in France and only limited qtys come into Malaysia and Singapore and there is a shortage of them around. PP2 are tom yam made, and is just not the same class as the PS2 in suppleness and comfort. Also for PS2, min size is 17' onwards, meaning it wont be fitting to the stock E60 520i and 523i wheels heh.

14. AlexNg

AlexNg Club Guest

i think there are Land of the Rising Sun made PP2s as well right?

from hearsay T1Rs wear out like pencil erasers, true or myth?

15. Jeffroom

Jeffroom Club Guest

Why not try Falken ZE912..Im using it right now,so far so good..anyway for 225/40/18 how many kpi air i need 2 pump?...Thx..

16. clint

clint Club Guest

bro jeffroom, how much you paid for the falkens ?

17. Jeffroom

Jeffroom Club Guest

Rm 415 at hin leong klang...

18. koksiew

koksiew Club Guest

Klang's HIN Leong is not so great lah

I been there and know how busy sometimes they get. But you know something, there are better and more knowledgeable places than them.

Anything you buy from them, they dunt wanna it back even the next day!!!!!!!
    My neighbour went there and got RM100 (trade-in value) each tyre the next day after pestering the boss about 5 times the whole morning. He paid RM450 for each tyre when buying it. Total loss of 75 % !:stupid:
    The alignment and balancing was way off and he went back twice!!

19. ALBundy

ALBundy Founding Member

I have used PS (225/55/16) on my e34 before, and never had any issue with comfort and performance. In fact its was the best set of tires I even had. :)

20. danc

danc Club Guest

Yes Alex,
    Some PP2 r from Japan. As for thread wear, it is usually spec. If you can find the UTQG it usually tells your the wear. I believe T1R are rated at 280. As compared to say Pirelli Euforia RFT are 180 which lasted me about 23,000km. Save to say 280 rating should be able to take us to about 35,000km at least. PS2 are 220.