1. Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

Service according to Meter or Mechanic?

Discussion in 'Engine Tech' started by JMW, Feb 1, 2005.

1. JMW

JMW Club Guest

Guys,Just was wondering if we are to service according to the service meter when it goes yellow or according to the mileage my mechanic put on the service sticker from the last service?I drive 1991 525i.Maybe the car old so the mechanic put about service every 5,000km. But the service meter really not reach 3 bars yet??!!I takut the workshop take advantage the company account we have there.Which one to trust? Btw, how does the service meter work... milage? impurities of engine oil?

2. OSFlanker

OSFlanker Club Guest

The service counter will usually lasts around 12k to 15k km, depending on driving styles and usage. But normally I do an oil service every 8,000km and replace major items every other oil service.

3. bimmerman

bimmerman Club Guest

I currently use Magnetec and change every 5K but will reset the meter myself after 3 oil changes. (15K)

4. Jipster

Jipster Club Guest

in my case my service light thingy all dun work anymore so i estimate (odometer osso dead) every 2 months - based on mileage to and from work as car dun go anywhere else :)....I service every 5-7k using good quality semi-syn

5. flash

flash Club Guest

I service my babe every 10,000 kms irrespective of what my service meter tells me...

6. JMW

JMW Club Guest

cool, i think i'm quite safe doing it round 7-8k.

thanks guys!

7. vladd_tappish

vladd_tappish Club Guest

Hi there. For me I drive a lot. I always change my oil every two months with the original BMW engine oils and change my ATF every 45000KM with original BMW Dexron. I am from JB and I always do my servicing in Top Auto Service in TMN Iskandar because they have the original BMW oils.

8. c-square

c-square Club Guest

IMHO, a bimmer does not need to be serviced at such short interval (eg 5000km) except for the instance where you put the car in duress very often. The only thing that needs to be serviced every 5000km would probably be the engine oil, and also that is if you're using mineral oil.