1. Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

pda gps; which one?

Discussion in 'GPS and Car Navigation - New!' started by selespeed, May 28, 2007.

1. dvng

dvng Club Guest

absolutely true about the battery..but you will get over it once the novelty runs out..i only use the gps only when necessary..besides my road knowledge in KL is sometimes better than the autorouting of the gps..but it is very useful in Singapore, Malacca, Penang etc. yes i agree garmin rocks..malsing maps rocks as well...

2. selespeed

selespeed Club Guest

yes agreed. have seen the garmin nuvi with malsingmaps and i am truly impressed even with details in small town like kulai. it's absolutely nice. no stock here!

but asus pda gps uses battery conserving chip or so they called low powered chip. since i also need pocketpc functions, this thing is just nice. it has no phone function.

3. masCh

masCh Club Guest

damn, i got on this forum a bit late.

if you need any info about GPS with PDA just ask me.

Btw, I can build microchips that you can use to charge your PDA and the BT receiver in the car. That way, you enter your car, place your PDA on the PDA holder and plug in the charge cable. The GPS receiver you just leave it in your car plugged in, no need to take it anywhere unless you're going fishing or outdoors, and even then you just take the receiver out and always be sure that its 100% charged. I dont make these to sell, just to solve problems.

I do sell bluetooth SiRF3 receivers however.

4. skinhead

skinhead Club Guest

y all the hassle when u cud buy the same car charger in carhfoo for 6.90:smokin:

im using pda with internal gps for almost 9 mths oledi. running on wm6+garmin mobile XT+free maps ( latest ver) i repeat, im using GMXT with internal gps :cool:

5. eau-rouge

eau-rouge Club Guest

go for HTC TYTNII

easy to handle without using a stylus
    can use several softwares too..mapking,tomtom n even garmin..haha

6. dvng

dvng Club Guest

agreed...i have switched to TyTynII after my Holux GPSlim 240 was stolen from my car...and the TyTynII rocks..i am using Garmin Que with GPSproxy 2.2c from malsingmaps..i hardly use the Mapking as i am used the detail maps of garminQue..

7. doramon

doramon Club Guest

Gps

Hi guys

I am also currently Tytn II and have to agree this phone is good :) just wondering wats the difference in the garmin software as compared with mapking 2007? (I am currently using that with malsingmaps) :rolleyes:

any comments? thanks

8. rexmail

rexmail Club Guest

looking at the asus 750 of HTC touch cruize...any comments on these two pdas....cheers

9. ivanng

ivanng Club Guest

i am using samsung I780...
    work greats...
    fast log in .. because it have assisted-gps..
    use ur phone network to search for gps satellite

10. CleanWorldPeace

CleanWorldPeace Club Guest

My GPS came with the car, an 07/08 Z4. So, it is an original from BMW. It has DVD formatted maps of MY and SG. Hopeless is the word to describe it. So many times I tried to use it, it does not allow you to enter the desired street names and without that, the steps that follow cannot be input. Anyone out there can advise on how this format can be upgraded? Thanks so much.

11. steve_tbb

steve_tbb Club Guest

Garmin and Pda Seller

HI bro...i have selling full set Garmin Nuvi and PDA with built in GPS free install latest GARMIN using Malsing maps, now is the Best and most recommeded GPS map for Malaysia and singapore. Interested can cal me 012-6352018 Tan

12. 525i

525i Official Member

Nokia N85

I am using a Nokia N85 fitted with a Garmin mini SD card. It uses the malsing map and it is the best of both worlds. You get a fully functional Garmin GPS c/w maps of many countries and a cool handphone. And the GPS service is free. Not much PDA functions though.

Anyone wanting to change their handphone now have such an option. Believe me, once you start using a GPS unit, you'll wonder how you ever drove around without it.

13. anaksarawak

anaksarawak Official Member

steve.. when you will pass the garmin cd to me ya??? awaiting heheehe

14. saat

saat Club Guest

I have a Garmin 200W running malsing maps, a Navman F120 running Garmin UK/Europe map and an HTC HD running Garmin Mobile, Mapking and Google Maps. My misus has a HTC Diamond running Mapking then Garmin mobile. I had an HTC Cruise again running both Garmin Mobile and Mapking. My son has a Nokia N95 with GPS.

I think the first issue to be dealth with is whether a dedicated Sat Nav unit or a multi-purpose device like a Phone/PDA with a built-in GPS.

My view is that if you drive whilst searching for an unfimiliar location, use a Sat Nav. It is purpose built, it reacts faster and the controls are made simpler. Your navigation will not be disturbed by an incoming call like a phone. The screen is larger.

I find that the Phone/PDA screens are generally too small, the verbal instructions have to go thru the phone speaker which is usually too weak and I find them all too slow i.e. the instruction only comes out when you have already reached the turn. I use my PDA GPS when I am a little familiar with the area and only need the detailed location. Sorry but the N95 is the worst of all three devices and my son gave up with it and always takes my Garmin Sat Nav instead. The nav functions are interrupted when there's an in-coming call. Using the Sat Nav function on a PDA/Mobile phone is a sure way of draining your battery real quick. It is even faster than activating the wireless network function.

I have always believed that you dont buy a swiss army knife to cut vegetables. The convergence device without compromises is still not here.

The second issue to consider is the software. I removed Mapking from my PDA because it is too complicated to use. I find the simplicity of Garmin the best. Garmin voice instructions are very good and I recommend it for driving.

I'm a regular world traveller, if I just wanted to find location or I'm on foot in a part of the world where I dont have a map, I use google maps. It is great. But I will not use use it whilts driving.

The third issue is maps. Maps sold by the GPS maker are just too expensive. Some have more details than others and some are updated more often than others. For me the free malsing map for Malaysia is excellent until they locked it and I just dont bother contributing just to get the unlock keys.

Any of my old friend who are going on a driving holiday in UK/Europe are welcome to "rent" my Navman.

Cheers

15. dalcross

dalcross Club Guest

im using HTC touch hd with garmin mobile xt. maps arent really THAT up to date though... the new flyovers in subang still not there..