1. Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

monitor the engine

Discussion in 'Engine Tech' started by willie, Dec 28, 2004.

1. willie

willie Club Guest

Guys, i wonder what parameters are important which affects the engine life span??? recently, i got high water temperature, and now suspect a blown gasket :ph34r: ....... what else should we monitor ah???? and how should we monitor it????? is there anything that can be used as alarm(beeps when u go to red zone, because i don't think i can keep on looking at the water temp gauge all the time when i drive), when u engine's parameter in critical status, like water temp, oil pressure??????

2. jarance

jarance Founding Member

Originally posted by willie@Dec 27 2004, 07:50 PM Guys, i wonder what parameters are important which affects the engine life span??? recently, i got high water temperature, and now suspect a blown gasket :ph34r: ....... what else should we monitor ah???? and how should we monitor it????? is there anything that can be used as alarm(beeps when u go to red zone, because i don't think i can keep on looking at the water temp gauge all the time when i drive), when u engine's parameter in critical status, like water temp, oil pressure??????
    Most of the alarm are not critical. i.e do not required immediate action. The only indication that required immediate action is of course the "high water temperature" However high water temperature can occured gradually or suddenly. "Gradually" will occured when the car is stationary and ambient tempearture is very high as in afternoon. Due to induced air, the water temperature will aries."Suddenly" will occured when there is rapid loss of coolant. This could occurred at any time. Having a audio alarm therefore don't not serve much purposes because when a high temperature occured, you would most probably see steam or smoke coming from the engine compartment. Furthermore, you would most probably experience the engine stalling due to over temperature.If you really want to have audio alarm, you can easily wired a buzzer in parallel with the bulb for high temperature. Just open the instrument panel (speedometer etc) to access to the bulb point. trace the wiring to the connector and wire the buzzer. :blink: :ph34r:

3. affan66

affan66 Founding Member

check for depleting radiator coolant.
    Also check for white/blue smoke coming out from your exhaust.
    check for leaks from radiator/cooling parts (greenish spots)

if the water temp ever moves higher from its normal point (usually slightly less than half), you better get the car checked immediately before further damage happens.

sometimes the sensor doesn't work very well. Last time, I had almost total coolant loss from the coolant expansion tank. The tank was dry so the temp sensor was detecting 'air' temperature and not 'coolant' temperature.

4. 535i

535i Club Guest

My method; other than the above is to smell the engine (?).

Yup, if u are familiar with the smell u can detect;

1) burn engine oil
    2) burn coolant
    3) burn clutch
    3) burn metal

It works for me ....

5. mrhartge

mrhartge demonic entity

bionic nose aarr??? :lol:

6. 535i

535i Club Guest

Alaaa .. just getting intimate with my 'wifes' laaaa ...
    Hard to explain, but so far quite accurate ..

7. mrhartge

mrhartge demonic entity

dats it...u gettin a WOMAN :blink: ...jeez...been dat long huh???

8. 535i

535i Club Guest

hang recommend laaa .... dah tak larat nak cari dah ...

9. adliz

adliz Club Guest

i got both engine oil and coolant level warning lights both at the same time a couple of weeks back.. bought 1 ltr fully synthetic and top up.. then add some air paip for radiator.. problem solved.. i hope..

worried if gasket koyak or something cos i thought they are only supposed to be changed/top up during interval services..? anyhow, sent to AB (well, the car was not due for another 3k km). requested to do pressure test, in case any leaks.. nothing.. no explanation also on the warning lights..

so far so good.. any advise on this? thanks!

10. Lee36328

Lee36328 Club Guest

Just remember, AB does not stand for Automatically Bagus; i prefer to send outside la, cheaper, and i get more interaction w the sifu, so i learn more abt the car.

if i may ask what year is ur car? if quite new, gasket shud be ok.

if like mine, year 97 or older, then, regular maintenance shud detect/prevent any pbm b4 occur...

11. 2cents

2cents Club Guest

Ah! few more items 2 add 2 our Beamer owners wish list - after market bionic noses with sonic alarms 4 our engine management sustems.
    M'sia Boleh - some local inventor shd try. :lol:

12. adliz

adliz Club Guest

yup.. i know about AB not being the best, not to mention the cheapest.. hehe.. the warranty just expired 2 months back.. but my power window kong, so i wanted to get it replaced under their 'courtesy' warranty..

can suggest where should go for service / check up? i live around cheras.. thanks!!

p/s: mine is smg/ssg 2002. i was and still am concerned due to free/high revving engine.. over-revved? cannot be..

13. erica34

erica34 Club Guest

oh, like that. no wonder la go AB... MEMANG PATUT!

buy car from them, pay good money, it's their responsibility... cilakak they think bcos their service lousy, price expensive, got skill make people tension, owners should take their car to some bmw workshop somewhere? fark them lah!! take the car back to them, fark them, force them to fix, they don't get it right, fark them somemore... jot down history of events get ready sent to newspaper or lawyer if they continue to fark around with u... what the fark man...

14. OSFlanker

OSFlanker Club Guest

Take it to the highway everyweek and if you feel the car is sluggish to your desired speed (can be 160, 180, 200, 220 or more) then there is something wrong :p

You can also monitor the petrol consumption. If under normal driving conditions (not pedal happy), then you should achieve your average FC. If over a certain period your FC is constantly deteriorating, then it's a warning sign.