1. Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

Getrag 240

Discussion in 'Engine Tech' started by z00z, Jan 11, 2005.

1. z00z

z00z Club Guest

I am curiously to know what the heck are these code for...?It must mean something...ratio maybe?Anyone want to share?[​IMG][​IMG]All I know for now is that...1. It's GETRAG 240 manual gearbox.:D 2. It's make a loud noise in my car.. :angry: 3.4.

2. fabianyee

fabianyee Founding Member

Getrag 240 is used in the 318i, 320i

Getrag 260 is used in the 325i....

3. Bmmad318i

Bmmad318i Club Guest

Most probally those are part no.....

4. MeanStreak

MeanStreak Club Guest

Mine too. My ride is an E30 M40 318i 1990.

When i got the car 2.5 years ago, found that the gearbox was leaking and it was almost empty. Got it refilled and was OK. After about 2 mths i cant engage 1st and 2nd gear. Got the gearbox repaired where some gears had to be changed. Was OK all the while until recently. Slight knocking noise but reduces when clutch is pressed.

Now the noise is louder. My guess its the clutch bearing. Could it be that the gearbox have gone kaput due to the poor maintenance earlier? Or could it be solved by changing the clutch bearing?

The last time i checked, used gearbox costs about RM900. Also, thinking of converting to M50b20 24V engine. What you'll think.

Anyone experienced this before or any gearbox sifus out there who can help. All feedbacks are appreciated.
    Thanks

5. 535i

535i Club Guest

Yup, M40 manual trans if prone to that. Hit the clutch and noise goes away. Clutch bearing is the culprit. Very very malu is stopping at traffic lite. Bunyi macam diesel ...

Had mine overhauled twice ... Lasted only 2 yrs (each). But some cars .. no noise even after 10 yrs .. cehhhh ... maybe they drive slow ..

I guess either u overhauled the gearbox or live with it.

And changing the oil to Redline MTL wun help ... :D

6. fabianyee

fabianyee Founding Member

me got the same problem... got opinion saying it's the freeplay inside the gearbox...

7. Zoggee

Zoggee Club Guest

wha...my clutch is even noisier then all of you guys la...kluk..kluk..kluk..kluk!!!..

as for the knocking sound of ur car...go ask ur mech to check the flywheel bearing,the clutch fork...and the bearing too. cheh..!!! always like that wan...even my Big Yellow Die-sel Coupe, can't event rest my foot on clutch while driving...result..??? burned clutch!!!! grrr..!!

8. flash

flash Club Guest

Woi zog, remember that you eat gearboxes for breakfast, lunch and dinner...

Also, one of the advise of driving a manual car... never rest your left foot on the clutch (that is if you are not changing gears). * wagging md finger * You will end up with worn clutch very very fast.

9. MeanStreak

MeanStreak Club Guest

Looks like alot of us have the same problem. Does this mean that overhauling or replacing with same type of gearbox is not gonna help :( ??.. sei.. lorrrr.

Thinking of conversion to M50B20 24V manual. Heard that manual ones are hard to find. Could i use a 12V manual gearbox instead to match the 24V engine?

Anyone done this before? How much should it cost me? :unsure:

10. elwine30

elwine30 Guest

mine also have the same noise. Just live with it. It's a classic car anyway. Else, go buy a new gearbox or overhaul.

MTEk,

That is a good approach of getting a new engine. Yes, manual is pretty rare but patiently go search for it would be help.

I think there are mech's who are able to transplant such engines to E30.
    Check with Al, he can point you to the right direction

11. Chris Cab

Chris Cab Club Guest

The Getrag 240 (318i, 320i gearbox) is a weak gearbox, that typically has problems with upshifting to 3rd.

The Getrag 260 (325i) is rock solid, and arguably the best E30 Gearbox. It can handle massive power from the likes of turbo'd M20's, M30's & S50, S52 power (blown or N/A).

The below link is to Metric Mechanic and under the "transmission" section it covers, at great lengths, the various BMW gearboxes, incl all E30 variants.

Metric Mechanic

If you change your gearbox, you will have to also change your driveshaft & rear differential.

12. z00z

z00z Club Guest

WoW!!!!!!!!!
    That's Load of info from you guys.....
    Thanks for sharing