1. Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

Gearbox overhaul

Discussion in 'E36' started by GasWombat II, Jul 11, 2013.

1. GasWombat II

GasWombat II Club Guest

My E36, 1994, 325i has over 213,000km on the odometer and it's around this time that an overhal is pending.The gearbox is showing signs of wear and tear, intermittently (once in a blue moon) jerking when downshifting and to a lesser extent when upshifting.Benson Auto Care of SS2, Petaling Jaya, suggested overhauling the transmission (I believe a GM box), which requires changing clutch plates, oils, etc......He quoted RM5,000++ for the job. Kinda expensive cuzz typical overhauls for such old cars is in the region of RM2,500 to RM3,000.This is the first time I'm going to Benson Auto Care. Benson, the owner, looks like a veteran in the business and after talking to him, gut feeling says he will do a good job.My usual haunt is Naidu of Jalan Gasing but his service quality level seems to have dropped lately due to having to cope with the demand from other BMW owners. I often have to leave my car at his place for a few days even for simple jobs that should only take a few hours.So am looking for alternatives, and Benson comes recommended.Is Benson like Heritage ie charge more than usual but satisfaction guaranteed?If you have been a Benson customer, do share your experiences.

2. mizhan

mizhan Member

Optimum overhauls auto transmissions too. Go check out their price.

3. Shahrezan

Shahrezan Official Member

Did mine at sunway batu caves last year. I believed the price is reasonable. Paid rm5k to overhaul my gb (e46)

4. slyder

slyder Official Member

E46 and e36 different cost of the parts i believe. do check around first. Like mizhan said, check out optimum. a number of the members here go to optimum

5. ALIAS

ALIAS Club Guest

Bro, how sure are you that the gearbox needs to be overhauled? I changed a gearbox not very long ago as it was taking forever to engage when putting to D. Then it sometimes could not find the 4th gear so left dragging 3rd gear. But recently found our that those are symptoms of failed gearbox solenoid(s). If I had to do it all over again, I'll have the solenoid changed first. If it works, presto !!! If it doesn't, then proceed with gearbox overhauled/changed. Solenoids only cost a few hundred. Can anybody confirm the exact price?

6. ICEMAN 68

ICEMAN 68 Founding Member

check BG out as you never know they may have a ZF 5sp box lying around there ...