Cars from UK using student AP

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
Nmr Nik Soh;614301 said:
Thank you for that but I think this is not the issue but what I know is that the AP students learn outside the country is much cheaper and if u do not mind I would like to know how much tax should be paid to the Kastam?

I dont know where you heard these fairy stories, I have lived in the UK for 7 years and I have seen, helped and experienced the process of bringing car back from there. I have brought back my own car and been through the process recently in November, so I think the experience is still valid.

Rule of thumb is this:

1. If you own the car for 9-12 months in the UK, you get 20% off from the tax valuation.

2. If you own the car for 12-24 months in the UK, you get 25% off from the tax valuation.

3. If you own the car for over 24 months in the UK, you get 35% off from the tax valuation.

4. In any case of the above, generally you will save around RM50k compared to buying one in Malaysia. Some exceptions apply, but as a rough estimate you will save RM50k.

5. Car 2000-2499 CC estimate for tax is 171%

6. Car 2500-2999 CC estimate for tax is 193%

7.Please be specific when you are asking questions. What car did you want to bring back?

8. Based on your previous posting, I have already given the estimated tax. Why are you asking again. I am giving you the student AP calculation if you insist they are different.

If you buy a GBP15,000 (RM75,000) 2009 325i, tax for 2000-2500cc is ~~171%, Kastam given a price of RM60,197 so

RM60,197x 1.71 = RM102.9k

After a bit discount I can safely say the tax is around RM80k~90k mark.

9. I am no customs officer. If you want exact figure go ask customs lar. I am only giving estimates based on my experience.

Thank you very..very..very much haywire, sorry if I made trouble on you ... I think u are a kind and patient person! Thank you once again ..i hope i will be able to see u one day!!

just for your information..i want to buy bmw e90 320i...year made depend on my budget n car price

Nmr Nik Soh;614397 said:
just for your information..i want to buy bmw e90 320i...year made depend on my budget n car price

320i year 2008 (36-48months old car), CIF (Cost Insurance Freight) given by customs is RM44,185.

Dont know what is the tax percentage for car below 2,000cc. (320i should be 1995cc so below 2000cc)

If I say (guess only) tax is 160% then it would be RM70,696.

After less discount would be somewhere around RM52-55k. Guess only. Could be more.

haywire;614418 said:
320i year 2008 (36-48months old car), CIF (Cost Insurance Freight) given by customs is RM44,185.

Dont know what is the tax percentage for car below 2,000cc. (320i should be 1995cc so below 2000cc)

If I say (guess only) tax is 160% then it would be RM70,696.

After less discount would be somewhere around RM52-55k. Guess only. Could be more.

Hi Haywire,

Thanks for the information. Just to find out more, as you have helped others... Is this only applicable to students in UK or also valid for NZ and AUS? Also, if you do not know the student personally, how safe is the process. I am assuming I will pay the insurance cost under the students name as well for 9 months, and upon the car coming here, wont the car have to be registered under the students name for 5 years? Also as far as insurance is concerned here, will it also need to be under the student. Does not sound very safe unless the buyer knows the student personally.

Thanks for the explanation!

Rgds

msian;614866 said:
Hi Haywire,

Thanks for the information. Just to find out more, as you have helped others... Is this only applicable to students in UK or also valid for NZ and AUS? Also, if you do not know the student personally, how safe is the process. I am assuming I will pay the insurance cost under the students name as well for 9 months, and upon the car coming here, wont the car have to be registered under the students name for 5 years? Also as far as insurance is concerned here, will it also need to be under the student. Does not sound very safe unless the buyer knows the student personally.

Thanks for the explanation!

Rgds

1. Dont need to buy early. only buy a week or two before the student comes back for good. Paperwork can kow tim. This way no cost for insurance which will cost a bomb especially in UK.

2. Only need to keep under his name for 2 years now.

3. This is based on trust. Your summons also go to him.

4. Not sure about the insurance here though? That I need to find out.

5. Same process la UK NZ or OZ.

Comprehensive Insurance - Car can be covered under all riders or nominated drivers. NCD benefit only the owner.

haywire;614910 said:
1. Dont need to buy early. only buy a week or two before the student comes back for good. Paperwork can kow tim. This way no cost for insurance which will cost a bomb especially in UK.

2. Only need to keep under his name for 2 years now.

3. This is based on trust. Your summons also go to him.

4. Not sure about the insurance here though? That I need to find out.

5. Same process la UK NZ or OZ.

Thanks for that. Not all people are trustworthy. Perhaps have to sign a contract with the student stating that you have paid and find some way to cover yourself. How to kau tim UK insurance? Kautim here or there ?

Wow, i didnt know that this thread is growing lol.

For the critics, yes there is some glitches in the procedure but it is the way it is. I understand the concerns about the name and the risk, i have done this for quite some years now and there is no massive issue apart from the buyer didnt pay the summons but its all have been settled. If you want a bargain this is spot on to own a continental car with less the current price in Malaysia. But if you dont want to, you can buy the Commercial AP that cost you a hand plus it is not value for money due to the regulations.

All of the AP seller are my friends, i know who wants to really sell it and just want to make use of the AP somehow. Couples of thousand quid is a lot for students and thats why they want to sell it. About the after sales i will personally settle it if you cant get a hold of them(AP holder) for example you want to change the name on the car to yourself after 2 years. I have thought through this many times and its the normal response that i get. For whom who are willing to buy more power to you. And who doesn't, no comment.

Maybe on April i will come back for holiday and we can meet somehow.

msian;614942 said:
Thanks for that. Not all people are trustworthy. Perhaps have to sign a contract with the student stating that you have paid and find some way to cover yourself. How to kau tim UK insurance? Kautim here or there ?

Kau tim here la. Paperwork only.

Is this practice of buying the car 2-3 weeks before the student went back for good is still a good idea? There's this rumour going around recently that there are a lot of cars currently "sangkut" at the port due to not meeting the minimum-9-months-ownership rule, and the usual backdated trick no longer works unless you can persuade the seller to backdate it for you (which is very rare).

starlet4e_turbo >> do u know anything about this? car to comment?

Haywire..do tell me which usedcar dealers in the UK easy to deal and offer the cheapest price, if u know some dealers laaa

Most of the time we dont go to dealers la, its Autotrader.co.uk or pistonheads.com.

Dealers is also on Autotrader. I bought my car from a dealer which was on Autotrader.

A lot of people got a good deal from private sales too.

ciklee;616276 said:
Is this practice of buying the car 2-3 weeks before the student went back for good is still a good idea? There's this rumour going around recently that there are a lot of cars currently "sangkut" at the port due to not meeting the minimum-9-months-ownership rule, and the usual backdated trick no longer works unless you can persuade the seller to backdate it for you (which is very rare).

starlet4e_turbo >> do u know anything about this? car to comment?

ciklee, not really a rumours anymore, I called MITI last week and they confirmed that there are currently quite a number of cases caught due to not meeting the min 9 months ownership....and they are well aware about the backdate tactic. Even though u can get the seller to backdate the buying date, MITI will only look at the "processing date" by DVLA (UK). Hence, u can ask the seller to backdate for months but what matters is the duration from DVLA's processing date to our boarding pass date.

I'm planning to bring back my e60 in september, have to defer my flight by 4 days to exactly meet the 9 months requirement. This is bcoz of the long christmas break and new year in UK last year which affect the processing turnaround time. Dun want to go up and down MITI building for appeal.

cheers..

Squarewheel;617368 said:
ciklee, not really a rumours anymore, I called MITI last week and they confirmed that there are currently quite a number of cases caught due to not meeting the min 9 months ownership....and they are well aware about the backdate tactic. Even though u can get the seller to backdate the buying date, MITI will only look at the "processing date" by DVLA (UK). Hence, u can ask the seller to backdate for months but what matters is the duration from DVLA's processing date to our boarding pass date.

I'm planning to bring back my e60 in september, have to defer my flight by 4 days to exactly meet the 9 months requirement. This is bcoz of the long christmas break and new year in UK last year which affect the processing turnaround time. Dun want to go up and down MITI building for appeal.

cheers..

I think the ownership period include the transportation time. So if you own it for 6 months and it take 3 months to ship the car here then there should be no problem.
Sometimes you can stored the car in a warehouse until the ownership period have reached.

Jarance is right. Shipping from UK is only one month though. I'm applying for another AP (my wife) on Monday. We'll see how it goes.

Top Bottom