1. Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

BMW Fuel Pump Dying Characteristic

Discussion in 'Engine Tech' started by wan520i, Jul 31, 2007.

1. jarance

jarance Founding Member

mmmm.... I am curious to know the outcome..

Can you try the following:-

1. Fill to full with the engine running and see whether the engine stall or not while fillng with petrol.
    2. If engine did not stall, OFF the engine and wait 30 seconds before trying to restart again.

3. With the engine OFF but the ignition at position "2" (just before crank), fill the tank to full or 3/4 full. After filling, crank the engine and see whether it will start.

I suspect it might be something to do with the crankshaft sensor. Engine hot, metal expand and sensor did not detect too well due to clearance out of tolerance. Please check the clearance of the cranshaft sensor and crank teeth.

2. wiramod11

wiramod11 Club Guest

well geoffreylee it haven't resolved. I haven't got the time to go see my mechanic and discuss this with him. Haven;t change the fuel filter nor the fuel pump. But 8 years old car.. i think it's time to change that 2 part already.

I will try that jarance. Now thinking of it.. it might due to the crankshaft sensor but than if it was crankshaft sensor doesn't everytime i crank the car it will have the problem.. irregardless of filling petrol or not?

Anyway last weekend while filling petrol i left my car key at at position "0" after filling petrol.. i just crank the car up and it doesn't have any problem at all.. hmm.. i will test again this weekend to identified if i left the car key at the position "0" or "2" or "1" what are the different.

3. beemercsc

beemercsc Club Guest

dear members and sifus,

i have a problem with my indicator which shows the milage remain with the fuel in tank. It shows about 70 km to but suddenly the car stopped coz of fuel. Fell a bit shy starnded beside teh road, with the help of my friend i manage to overcome. But the problem now i feel teh car is underpower lack of pickup... need to do any calibration.. Kindly advise.. i am driving 325 2001. Thank you

4. wan520i

wan520i Club Guest

wow.., you rely that much on the indicator ke..??

For me, i go with my feeling...., you have to feel the car maa, but before that, you have to put lots of love first...hehe.

Check your fuel delivery line pressure, your mechanic should have the gauge which will be connected to your fuel delivery line somewhere in your engine's compartment. The pressure should be around 3.5 bar. Your fuel pump may became very sick due to dry run in the tank.

Good luck.

5. beemercsc

beemercsc Club Guest

Thanks Wan,
    will look into it..

6. wiramod11

wiramod11 Club Guest

well for my issue.. after few weeks monitoring it.. i still can hear sound from when ever my fuel light comes out to show im low in fuel. And the most important thing is... the issue i had everytime pump in petrol and i had hard time crank the engine up.. seems to be resolved.. not sure is this the correct way.

I was trying on few scenario with half tank left / quater left / when the fuel gauge light on... i stop the car.. but i didn't pull out the key.. left the key at "0" but the engine already stop. (Position at "0" means when you got into the car and just put the key into the crank point but you didn't crank it or turn it to position "1 or 2") Than start pumping petrol. After that i just crank the engine and it crank up in 1 try. Thats really - really weird case. Anyway no chance to see mechanic.. nor change the fuel filter or fuel pump cause now i had to fork out money to buy new fog light, some banana skin and repair 1 side of my front bumper.. because i hit a motorcycle helmet while driving in NS highway in 160km/h... i can see a rolling helmet/ DAMN!

7. jarance

jarance Founding Member

wiramod,

please check the transponder in the key.. it might be slightly moved from it original position or the detector of the transponder might have dislocated
    at the ignition key.

8. wiramod11

wiramod11 Club Guest

okie.. thanks jarance.. i will open up the things and check it out this weekend.

9. jarance

jarance Founding Member

here is a pic of the key

10. wiramod11

wiramod11 Club Guest

thanks,.. today i got time to checks with the mechanic... basically.. nothing wrong with the transponder after hooking up the machine to diagnostics the whole car as well. So the mechanic told me just stick with putting in the key while i'm pumping petrol... :D anyway change my fuel filter, change 1 side of the fog light, re-alligned my side bumper, change one side of the headlight wiring set. Next thing will be flush my rear tranx oil, plus doing my rear window..(might be motor die on me). After this will be checking the gearbox as well. Looks like my wallet will be getting thinner in couple of mths.

11. jarance

jarance Founding Member

It the ECU adjusting to your driving characteristic.. Slow and economy mode.

Tekan a b it here and there and it will come back.