1. Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

Ac auto start ?

Discussion in 'F10, F11, F07' started by fastnfurious, Nov 25, 2011.

1. fastnfurious

fastnfurious Club Guest

I just got the reverse camera installed. Now when I push the start button, the ac(fan) turns on automatically? This happens even though I had switched it(ac fan) off before shutting down the car.Anyone has this problem?

2. ck318ci

ck318ci Club Guest

hmn... is that abnormal?
    Mine switch on each time I start the car...

3. DJH

DJH Club Guest

When it is switched off, it should not turn on by itself so pls get your car checked.
    Was advised by SC not to turn on the AC immediately when you drive. Let the engine run about 15-30 sec before you turn it on. AC must be shut off everytime. They advised, i adhered. Claimed to prolong the lifespan of the AC which i have no tangible proof to it but just a habit I learnt after SC advised me. It's up to u to decide whether to follow.

4. wobbles

wobbles Rarely active

Sheeyit. Then I've gotten it all wrong. I never switch air-con on, and I have it set on "Auto" to super-fast-super-cool the car (trust me, parked under the scorching sun, it gets hot) and I just switch off the car & watch everything go blank at the end of the drive. From what your Sales Exec told you, then I'm headed for air-con meltdown soon :(

5. DJH

DJH Club Guest

well, the after sales ppl told me so better be safe than sorry. Something i failed to get my wife to adhere...&*@$%

6. DJH

DJH Club Guest

oh, proper way is turn off AC is to press fan speed all the way till it shut off before your turn off your engine. When you started the car, after the few eternity seconds (ya 15-30 secs in hot weather seems like more than an hour), just press the A button to turn the AC (make sure the light is on the right side for internal circulation only mode). I simply shared how i did it to SC and he said i did it correctly. Not too bad, time to buy lottery

7. ck318ci

ck318ci Club Guest

ok ok... i go and check

Thanks DJH, will try to adhere to that

8. fastnfurious

fastnfurious Club Guest

Update here. Apparently after installation of the reverse camera they updated my software?
    Info from SC is that all F10's AC starts automatically when the car is switched on (i.e even though you off the fan/ac before you switch off the car at night) next morning when you pust the start button the ac/fan comes on automatically....new technology......

Anyone has different experience?

9. paultantk

paultantk Club Guest

how does this air cond on-off timing voodoo make any technical sense?

10. wutty

wutty Club Guest

I got the same advice from the first day i got my driving license, and that was many many years ago. So it is not a BMW specific thing.

Never bother about it and in due course my air con failed and my battery also failed, so did those who abide to it. There is no real difference in MTBF

11. haywire

haywire Official Member

That was old belief with the old cars. If BMW intended for us to actually turn on and off the AC everytime we turn on/off the car, would BMW just made an 'ON/OFF' button instead of pushing the fan speed button repeatedly?

Do that enough times and you'll find the fan speed buttons cracking soon.

12. manjohari

manjohari Club Guest

if i'm not mistaken, most continental car, the aircond compressor always set to on
    the temperature is controlled by mixing blowing cold air to some fin/plate of hot water from the radiator
    that's where we get the heater...
    for japanese/proton, it works a bit different...
    err... i may be wrong, but i don't see a point turning of the aircond too, where u turning on/off the fan.

13. dark1234

dark1234 Club Guest

personally with my experience with bmw , which i never brother to turn the air-cond down at stop , instead one of my e60 Jap version has this function when start engine its turn to "MAX" mode for 1 ~ 2 min before automatically turn to normal mode.

no failure or some sort. but even fail , vs our hot sun better on. so conclusion get better tint !