Track Day Tips

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
aiseh...turn the aircond off and enjoy the strong wind from the track at sepang....

Hi AL, long time no see. When you gonna come my house with Felix ? I waiting-lah for the PerformanceBMW UK mag April issue ... featuring my E34.

Anyway, hypothetically speaking, you may be right about the advancement in compressor design, but really, advancement does not equal to durability/reliability. Personally, I've heard numerous a/c compressor related problems on the newer designs than the older ones.

One of the world's best compressor designs are the ARA or Fridgeaire and now the Nippon or Denso compressors as you call it. These are still the typical cutin -cutout type and is noted for their longevity.

The ARA can last at least 15 to 20 years, and the sad thing is that not many local guys have the tools to repair them, so they just died a natural death. The Denso continues to prove itself though.

Just thought I share my opinion.

HM

Originally posted by ALBundy@Mar 22 2005, 10:14 AM
The E46 and E39 have a more advanced system. Well, if you are familiar with the term variable speed compressor. What traditional compressor does is, when the interior temperature reaches, say the temperature set by you, the magnetic clutch will disengage and hence the compressor won't be running, and when the temperature increases, the clutch would be re-engaged, in layman's term cut in - cut out. Plenty of wear and tear!! That's why I always set my temperature pretty cold so the compressor doesnt cut in/out often.

As mentioned earlier, the system in the E39/E46 is more advanced. The compressor actually runs all the time but the rotation speed varies depending on the load, once the interior is cooled, the compressor will run at low speed and vice versa. This actually prolongs their lifespan.

Hope this helps!

Al
sorry , but thats not correct.

there has never been anything like a 'variable speed compressor'.

what there is on most conti cars is a compressor that is 'on' all the
time , ie , it does not cut in/out depending on temperature , like most
Jap aircon systems.

How the system modulates temperature (and by definition , how hard
the compressor works) is by having an 'expansion valve' that has an
adjustable aperture. The aperture is controlled by the thermostat that
you set by the temp that you want in the cabin. The expansion valve
enable the freon (or whatever gas is in there) to 'expand' thus cooling
itself in the process. This 'cooling' works to pick up heat in the cooling-
coil and 'exchanges' the heat vide the medium of the gas to the outside
air.

so , the cooler you want it , the smaller the aperture , the more
pressure in the high pressure circuit , the harder the compressor
works and more load.

the warmer you want it , the bigger the aperture , the less pressure
on the high pressure circuit , the less load on the compressor.

Umm, instead of RedBull, i recommend Power Boost Tongkat Ali drink! I'm serious, that stuff really gets you going. Not horny or anything, but your blood flows alot better. Good stuff for pulling all-nighter at work too (just don't drink too many if you're working late with a girl in the office, sleepy makes horny :D).

jason1229;453823 said:
I think u just missed it bro.. there was one held in Sepang last month. :1:

.. and concluded with an announcement of the slowest car for the day was the NA N52B25.. :p

Tyre Management :

1) Avoid using less than 20% tread depth on track.
2) For air pressure difference, its about 5psi once you get the tyres up to temperature after 2 laps. Come in the pits to release/adjust the air pressure. Then go out again.
3) For Nitrogen its about 2 - 3 psi. My personal preference is to maintain 28 to 29 psi at optimum temperature. Its really up to your car set up/behaviour.
4) For those with deep pockets, use semi-slicks. It would mean up to 3 to 5 sec per lap difference.
5) To improve corner speed further, open up front camber as much as your car allows -2 deg or more. Open front toe slightly for better turn in respond.
6) Camber at the rear should be opened up slight too -1.5 deg and slight toe-in for stability especially existing out of corners.
7) High temp front brake pads are a must for threshold braking. Eg, Ferodo DS2500 or better still DS3000.

UPDATE: Merged my thread with an old thread to ensure all information is kept

Decided to open a track day thread for anyone here who likes participating in track days. I am a complete newbie when it comes to driving on track at Sepang, can't figure out how to drive a manual and probably post not so great times at Sepang with my E90 320d.

But in the course of learning, I picked up some helpful tips which I hope can be shared with everyone here and I hope the more experienced and sifu's can also contribute to this thread so we can make track days to be fun and helpful for one another.

Car Preparation:
As usual, all track days will require your car to be checked prior to you driving on the track, make sure you don't have anything leaking otherwise it might endanger you and other drivers.
  1. Engine oil is at the right level
  2. Brake fluid has been changed within the service time
  3. Brake pads are ok
  4. Enough coolant or water to ensure engine doesn't overheat
  5. Tyres have enough thread (you can opt for semi slicks, high performance road tyres or your current existing tyres)
Additional car tools useful to have:
  1. Car jack (in case of a flat tyre)
  2. Spare tyre (in case of a flat tyre)
  3. Portable pump
  4. Tyre pressure gauge
  5. Dirty cloth
  6. Masking tape/Black Tape
  7. A tool set (screwdrivers, wrench, etc..)
  8. Power supply extension
  9. Industrial fan blower
Personal stuff handy to have:
  1. Helmet (compulsory)
  2. Shoes (compulsory)
  3. Long Pants
  4. Driving Gloves (optional)
  5. Tracksuit (optional)
  6. A change of clothes
  7. A face towel
  8. Bottle of water
  9. Power bars / chocolate / RedBull
  10. Portable stools
Useful tools to have prepare:
Because not all track days have the option to get a transponder from Sepang, there are a few apps which you can find on your smartphone which uses GPS to track. I have personally seen these apps in action and the time recorded by the app and the ones by the transponder are very close and quite accurate.

1. iOS - Harry's Lap Timer (app is not free but it is easy to use) - http://www.gps-laptimer.de/Home.html
  2. Android - RaceChrono (app is free) - http://www.racechrono.com/
  3. Handphone holder in the car (useful to display the time or used to record video while driving)
  4. GoPro Camera
  5. Bluetooth / WIFI OBD2 reader - Some apps on your phone can read the transmitted data and show it on your video
  6. OBD2 Display Gauge
Things you can leave behind:
  1. Your ego

Other tips to add which is usually forgotten for 1st time trekkies.

Remove all loose items in your car

1) Coinbox
2) Coins
3) All items in your glove compartment and centre console items
4) Dangling stuff ie: incar perfume,
5) Wife/gf/mistress shoes, eyeliners,
6) Anything that will bound to fly off during an unwanted incident.

Do we have to tape our head lights to avoid them being shattered due to accident/stones flying?

Fadhlan said:
Do we have to tape our head lights to avoid them being shattered due to accident/stones flying?
Not compulsory but if you love your headlights you can *ahem e34_lover*
Get some 3M blue painters tape. No residue when you need to remove it.

Fadhlan said:
I actually had a film protecting the headlamps. But a tape would definitely help as well

Top Bottom