Time to change my tyre!

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
Not sure what happened. Probably I hit a nail or something sharp and lost pressure quickly and I continue to drive with a flat tyre for about 30km to the tyre shop. The act of driving on a flat RFT has damaged the tyre beyond repair. This goes to proof that although RFTs improve your mobility and give you peace of mind but this is at the expense of your tyre. With the price of RFT tyres almost double the price of equivalent conventional tyre, it's a really expensive price to pay for the convenience we get.

57000km pretty much already a bonus, mate. I can't remember if I ever clock this much on any pair of my donut. Replacement made with rft or regular?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pchan1 said:
57000km pretty much already a bonus, mate. I can't remember if I ever clock this much on any pair of my donut. Replacement made with rft or regular?

I reckon my tyre could go further if not for the puncture and me not stopping soon enough to repair it. Decided to change all four tyre together for better balance. Stick with RFTs for convenience and safety but pay almost double the price of conventional rubber.

Which brand of rft donut you end up with? How much was the damage?

pchan1 said:
Which brand of rft donut you end up with? How much was the damage?

Pirelli P7. Damage $4k plus another $40 for 4 steel valves. Am not sure if this is a good deal. No option to survey prices or go other shop as tyre has lost all air pressure and was in bad shape.

225/45/18? Safety and assurance to continue the journey to the next available tire shop probably far out weigh the slight premium on RFT.

pchan1 said:
225/45/18? Safety and assurance to continue the journey to the next available tire shop probably far out weigh the slight premium on RFT.

Yes 225/45/18 all round. Is the price alright?

Not too sure about Pirelli. Local , siam or EU mfg? The last conversation w my usual tire shop owner in Penang couple months back I think PS3 is slightly less than 1k per donut.

pchan1 said:
Not too sure about Pirelli. Local , siam or EU mfg? The last conversation w my usual tire shop owner in Penang couple months back I think PS3 is slightly less than 1k per donut.

No idea bro. I can't seem to find the country of manufacture printed on the tyre. The shop told me it's imported but did not say which country it came from.

Correct me if I'm wrong but u are unable to repair RFT once it got a hole in it? Also our tyre pressure monitor system reads from the ABS system rather than having an actual sensor inside the tyre at the valve rite? I know BMW has two systems just dunno which one we using here.

We are not getting the tpms for sure. Was told our system merely sense delta in rolling diameter.

For fixing a small hole on rft, yes you can do so. I fixed mine for rm5 from a nail 2 months back. The tire pressure indicator did light up in my idrive.

splee said:
Finally replace my GY RFTs after 57k km on the road. I did not expect this to happen to one of my GY RFTs. Was driving along Kesas this morning and suddenly the iDrive prompt Low Tyre Pressure, Stop Carefully. I continue to drive as I have to send my kids to school in Subang. After one to two km, the iDrive prompt that left rear tyre loss pressure. I continue to drive to Subang and drop my kids to school before heading back to Klang tyre shop. On the way to Klang along Federal Highway, rear side of my car started vibrating but still drivable and controllable. By the time I reach the Klang tyre shop, this is the condition of my left rear RFT tyre.
01fe1c93a71a36c3b40ce4948bd49fe7.jpg
d2478fa0da41d5e6f7e6d35f9b6a92bb.jpg
6508db8883266feae58712795e9c10eb.jpg
Erm, judging from the Thread wear of the pictures, your car's camber angle might be too much on the negative side. It causes the threads on the inside to wear out much faster that outside because the insides are more in contact with the ground...

I can see the ribs on inside edge have worn out considerably compared to the outside edge; this was the same on my car that I just bought. I just inspected the outer threads which was fine, but was shocked when the car was lifted and I discovered the inner threads almost gone. Sorry should have taken a pic of it :s: .

In any case, the same thing might happen again if you didn't correct the camber alignment, have you checked the alignments at a tyre shop? My car's rear end has been lowered too much by the previous owner that the camber screw has been adjusted to max, yet it is still on -2 ++ :106: . Gotta switch out the suspensions and raise the height soon.

pchan1 said:
We are not getting the tpms for sure. Was told our system merely sense delta in rolling diameter.

I see, so even if you were to change the diameter of the tyres and rims, the system will sense the new measurements then I reckon?

seancorr said:
I see, so even if you were to change the diameter of the tyres and rims, the system will sense the new measurements then I reckon?
Yes I would think so. It is merely measuring difference between the diameter. That's where the reset for each air refill is required to level out the intrinsic offset.

Ken Ng said:
Erm, judging from the Thread wear of the pictures, your car's camber angle might be too much on the negative side. It causes the threads on the inside to wear out much faster that outside because the insides are more in contact with the ground...

I can see the ribs on inside edge have worn out considerably compared to the outside edge; this was the same on my car that I just bought. I just inspected the outer threads which was fine, but was shocked when the car was lifted and I discovered the inner threads almost gone. Sorry should have taken a pic of it :s: .

In any case, the same thing might happen again if you didn't correct the camber alignment, have you checked the alignments at a tyre shop? My car's rear end has been lowered too much by the previous owner that the camber screw has been adjusted to max, yet it is still on -2 ++ :106: . Gotta switch out the suspensions and raise the height soon.
My wheel alignment is done at MPS Sunway and I have no idea what camber settings they did on my car. I hope the same problem don't happen again on my new set of P7 RFT.

splee said:
My wheel alignment is done at MPS Sunway and I have no idea what camber settings they did on my car. I hope the same problem don't happen again on my new set of P7 RFT.
They are a reputable shop and when I did mine one of the boss was personally handling my car and I do look at my tyres every now and then to see if there is any fault but so far still okay even after going into some bloody big potholes.

same happened to me last night. after 57000km. not because of puncture but i think the limit of the tyre itself.
:66:

Top Bottom