Tempered Odometer

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

Simon Low

Dear All,

Need advice. Just found out that the odometer of my car that I got from used car dealer was tempered.
Was cheated when they sold to me claiming its low mileage and under warranty. A 2016 F30 320i, which is still under warranty but mileage was 100k difference.
Lodged complain to KPDNHEP. They contacted the dealer now they are asking how can they resolve this matter.
Anyone encountered such case and what would be a fair compensation?

Thanks

Thats shitty bro.

Good that you have made the complaint to KPDNHEP. When does the BMW warranty ends? Compensation? Not sure, as most of the time these kind of cases are settled out of court. Would it be fair to say 10% off purchase price? Or, what u can do, is get the dealer to purchase a 3rd party warranty (the most expensive package) for an extra 2 years, or extend the current BMW warranty for another year or 2?

let us know.

Thats shitty bro.

Good that you have made the complaint to KPDNHEP. When does the BMW warranty ends? Compensation? Not sure, as most of the time these kind of cases are settled out of court. Would it be fair to say 10% off purchase price? Or, what u can do, is get the dealer to purchase a 3rd party warranty (the most expensive package) for an extra 2 years, or extend the current BMW warranty for another year or 2?

let us know.
Just spoke to KPDNHEP, they now referred me to the Consumer Tribunal. I will need to file my case there. My warranty ends in Sept 2021. I did check with BMW, but they told me extended warranty cannot be purchased.

Just spoke to KPDNHEP, they now referred me to the Consumer Tribunal. I will need to file my case there. My warranty ends in Sept 2021. I did check with BMW, but they told me extended warranty cannot be purchased.
If BMW will not extend that, might as well go for 3rd party warranty bro. Yes its now a consumer tribunal case.

another thing u can look at is by asking the dealer to foot ur bill for a major service at a mechanic of ur preference. change all oil, fluid, wear n tear parts where applicable. 100k km mileage difference is like night n day when it comes to maintenance.

quite fast once u file a complaint. btw, which dealer u bought from?

If BMW will not extend that, might as well go for 3rd party warranty bro. Yes its now a consumer tribunal case.

another thing u can look at is by asking the dealer to foot ur bill for a major service at a mechanic of ur preference. change all oil, fluid, wear n tear parts where applicable. 100k km mileage difference is like night n day when it comes to maintenance.

quite fast once u file a complaint. btw, which dealer u bought from?
Thanks. Last they called me after KPDNHEP approached them, they offered their warranty. I said its a joke.
Buyer beware, the dealer is SINCERE AUTO TRADING / SINCERE AUTOMOTIVE SDN BHD (1227496-U) Mudah ID: 84857326

Thanks. Last they called me after KPDNHEP approached them, they offered their warranty. I said its a joke.
Buyer beware, the dealer is SINCERE AUTO TRADING / SINCERE AUTOMOTIVE SDN BHD (1227496-U) Mudah ID: 84857326
Insist for a 3rd party warranty bro with minimum 2 years coverage. it will cost them less than rm3k/year, depending on the package, with the most expensive package covers almost all parts.

Some of the warranty providers are like Warranty Smart, EzCare Waranty etc.

i got my dealer to include the warranty for 2 years, cost them approx rm4k. successfully claimed an rm8k+ job.

Thank you. Warranty Smart only covers mileage below 150k KM. EzCare didn't mentioned on their website

Sorry to hear hope you will get fair compensation. The dealer name really dont reflect them at all huh!

Wah! I almost bought a car from Sincere last month. Went to view and test drive the car. But the mileage of the car was too low for a 2010, 60k km. Too good to be true. Hence I decided not to buy. Dodged a bullet there. Phew

Bro, sorry to hear thing like that.
But it is very common for this kind of case ...
Hope you get fair compensation and pls update us the story so we know our right when purchase a car from second car dealer.

how did u find out that the odometer was tempered with? Plugged it in the OBD?
There's a few way of knowing this.

1. temper dot on the odometer.
2. service records from authorized SC (assuming thats where the car was serviced)
3. reading of data from modules/ECU - any error that occurs wld have a record in the ECU. with the right diagnostic tools, the actual mileage can be revealed.

If we replace the odometer will the mileage be different? Or the ECU will show ori mileage? . Best to buy from direct owner, dealers always find ways to maximise their profit.

If we replace the odometer will the mileage be different? Or the ECU will show ori mileage? . Best to buy from direct owner, dealers always find ways to maximise their profit.

If you replace the odometer with a used odometer, you will have problem as the VIN number would not match.
You have to recode it (It is not easy to do)

T
Bro, sorry to hear thing like that.
But it is very common for this kind of case ...
Hope you get fair compensation and pls update us the story so we know our right when purchase a car from second car dealer.
They purchased me a third party warranty cost only RM1.4k and wanted me to remove my comment on Goggle Map review. I didn't and wanted to put my comment on their facebook too

There's a few way of knowing this.

1. temper dot on the odometer.
2. service records from authorized SC (assuming thats where the car was serviced)
3. reading of data from modules/ECU - any error that occurs wld have a record in the ECU. with the right diagnostic tools, the actual mileage can be revealed.

Not sure how they did it, but no error code. The gave away was there was an emergency call from previous owner using the car SOS and Auto Bavaria pick up the mileage reading. That was the last reading Auto Bavaria has before the car was sold to this dealer.

I just did a full service i.e. engine oil change and transmission oil change too so that I can start tracing again properly.

Top Bottom