My new e46 318i

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
rsdn26 said:
Jarance,

What is the crazy cheap solution? Mind if u can share with us?

Sent from my ASUS_Z010D using Tapatalk
I was having some 1 inch free play on my steering wheel. I change the bottom joint (Item No.4) as advise by some people.
The problem improved but the free play was still there.

So in order to resolve the problem, I did the test above and find there were some free play for the joint (item 3).
Even though it is small but it is magnified by the steering wheel diameter.

Instead of changing item 3, I put a lot of silicon and inject it between the gap of the joint to "stiffen" it.

The result is quite good. Now my steering feel stiffen and the wheel is also tracking properly.
The silicon is only temporary solution. Now I know what to change in my next visit to the workshop.

Note: Dont try this at home. I am not responsible for any mishap.

Why is it that a K & N filter system works better that BMW's own air-flow system ?

And after using this K & N system, where do we fix the MAF sensor ?

Regarding the steering column system, can we actually rebuilt it by changing the coupling or shaft like how my mech rebuilt my longshaft cause we have custom shafts rebuilder nowadays.........

digilife said:
Why is it that a K & N filter system works better that BMW's own air-flow system ?

And after using this K & N system, where do we fix the MAF sensor ?

Regarding the steering column system, can we actually rebuilt it by changing the coupling or shaft like how my mech rebuilt my longshaft cause we have custom shafts rebuilder nowadays.........
http://www.knfilters.com/mobile/filter_facts.aspx

rsdn26 said:
Well, it seems that K & N filter is a good investment afterall

Any suggestion where to buy a good buy price set ?

Can DIY ourselves to fix or need expert to install into our beemer system ?

On another unrelated matter,

One thing that have been going in my mind is this ~ whenever we start out car, during the first turn of the ignition key, I see the word "Inspection" on the meter display for 2 secs then a "mileage like" figures like 13,000 , wat actually is this ?

On the next time I start my car, the figure will be reduced like 12,900 & keep reducing every time, I hope some sifu can help to understand this.

Thanks guys

digilife said:

One thing that have been going in my mind is this ~ whenever we start out car, during the first turn of the ignition key, I see the word "Inspection" on the meter display for 2 secs then a "mileage like" figures like 13,000 , wat actually is this ?

On the next time I start my car, the figure will be reduced like 12,900 & keep reducing every time, I hope some sifu can help to understand this.

Thanks guys
U can go to the k&n website, get the p/n and start looking for parts prob at mudah, lelong or lazada..alternatively at accessories shop. M43 is the flat type and cheaper.. n42 is rm600. If u have someone in usa, u can through amazon.. cheaper..

Drop in is pretty simple can check some videos in youtube. But i strongly suggest to get the crc maf cleaner and clean the maf sensor before installing the filter..

digilife said:

Thanks guys
Thats is your inspection reminder.. by default is set to 25000km and counts down.. and most of the bmw outlets follow that milage to change your black oil which caused so many bmw's to suffer due to gasket leak, vanos seal leak and end up going for expensive top and full overhaul.. the ideal milage for black oil change is 10k for fully synthetic and 5k for mineral.. what was bmw engineers thinking??

You can choose to ignore it or you can reset it yourself after your oil change. There is a bunch of videos in youtube. Just type e46 service reminder reset..

rsdn26 said:
Thats is your inspection reminder.. by default is set to 25000km and counts down.. and most of the bmw outlets follow that milage to change your black oil which caused so many bmw's to suffer due to gasket leak, vanos seal leak and end up going for expensive top and full overhaul.. the ideal milage for black oil change is 10k for fully synthetic and 5k for mineral.. what was bmw engineers thinking??

You can choose to ignore it or you can reset it yourself after your oil change. There is a bunch of videos in youtube. Just type e46 service reminder reset..

Currently I am using semi syn , so meaning I just need to do an oil change when its 8k km & just ignore that reminder ?

Thanks

Semi syn i used to change at 5k km as well, just to be in safe side. U can choose to ignore if u wish.

rsdn26 said:
Semi syn i used to change at 5k km as well, just to be in safe side. U can choose to ignore if u wish.

The service reminder i mean.

rsdn26 said:

rsdn26 said:

So rule of thumb for UDM is 5k for semi syn & 10k for syn oil ?

Mineral oil how ?

I was told by my mech that if my car were to use full syn oil sure makan minyak , true ?

Mineral is also 5k. U can use synthetic if u have perform vanos seal change.. if u have makan minyak problem.. mineral oil also will makan but at low rate because the thicker oil compare to syn

rsdn26 said:
Mineral is also 5k. U can use synthetic if u have perform vanos seal change.. if u have makan minyak problem.. mineral oil also will makan but at low rate because the thicker oil compare to syn

oh okay, btw do you think its a good idea that we create a Whatsapp E46 User Group to share info & tips ?

If yes, pls count me in cause as a "new" owner I would like to learn more abt this great car.

rsdn26 said:

Sorry, have to correct you on this abit. All oil have the same viscosity if they are mark as SAE 10-40 whether they are Fully Synthetic, Semi-synthetic or mineral oil.

The only different is the type of additive, they way they are manufactured/blend and the temperature that they break down.
Fully synthetic have higer temperature breakdown and hence they last longer.

BTW, you can recode the oil change from 25000KM to 8000KM with the BMW Scanner 1.40.

jarance said:
Sorry, have to correct you on this abit. All oil have the same viscosity if they are mark as SAE 10-40 whether they are Fully Synthetic, Semi-synthetic or mineral oil.

The only different is the type of additive, they way they are manufactured/blend and the temperature that they break down.
Fully synthetic have higer temperature breakdown and hence they last longer.

BTW, you can recode the oil change from 25000KM to 8000KM with the BMW Scanner 1.40.
Jarance,

Agreed. Bottom line is if the car is having makan minyak problem, it is a definitely a problem to address. Dun listen to mechanic who tells that using mineral oil can prevent from black oil consumption.

Gush, I m still procastinating the purchase of this great scanner.. I m gona place an order tonight, by hook ot by crook.

Jarance,

Just wondering if its possible for you to give us a tutorial on how to use the BMW Scanner 1.40,

I am thinking of buying one too.

Rsdn26,

which best price site have you identify to buy that Scanner 1.40 ?

63fa3a39cecf517a1418da8c1e8f8872.jpg

digilife said:
Jarance,

Just wondering if its possible for you to give us a tutorial on how to use the BMW Scanner 1.40,

I am thinking of buying one too.

Rsdn26,

which best price site have you identify to buy that Scanner 1.40 ?
Easiest is to google lar.

or click here.
http://www.bmwclubmalaysia.com/newforums/index.php?/topic/37973-how-to-do-bmw-coding-with-bmw-scanner-140/?hl=bmw+scanner

http://www.bmwclubmalaysia.com/newforums/index.php?/topic/36861-problems-with-pa-soft-v140-scanner-installation/?hl=bmw+scanner#entry712832

or here is the one when we got some guides from people who got the scanner in a group buy around 2011
http://www.bmwclubmalaysia.com/newforums/index.php?/topic/23997-feedback-on-bmw-scanner-140/?hl=bmw%20scanner

Hi,

Got my used huanligan from mudah..installed and works perfectly..now my udm needs a reverse camera.

d04e515c0909bc4ee1467a79ead0dc32.jpg

Top Bottom