Go karting

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
Ecc0;757363 said:
..dumb question..how you changing gears on kart or its auto ??

There is a lever next to the steering. Pretty much like racing car. Sequential manual gearbox and clutch. Clutch is used only in 1st gear.

Shah alam track nice but abit more dangerous
1) most of their karts dont have side rail guard to prevent tyres touching ( this can cause the karts to flip when touching and going at high speed)
2) their speed breaker are actually bumps so another cause of karts flipping if not careful.

Both these happened to my friend who is 5'11 90kg. he actually flip and flew above my head.

USJ plus highway track is nice but sometimes their karts are not balanced. fun part is there is up hill and downhill. you could drift thru the turns. it was popularly used last time for saturday night drift event as well.
Mardi Serdang track. there are two operators there. both also use large carparks with tyre walls. not that well maintained machines for one of them. and the other is the same owner as the usj plus highway.

Sepang track is the exact replica of the full sepang track. on the straights you can max out the kart for 80cc and 100cc kart before breaking point for the turn. only 125cc karts wont max out yet.

cheers.

Ha ha seems we have many kart lovers here.....

Auto,

I have been karting since 2000 and took a 2 years break since my 125 ROK engine went kaboom end 2010......I used to race in club races and that peaked in 2006 - 2008 time when I was racing in the Asian Karting OPEN Championship ( AKOC ) in a Max Senior and also Malaysian Challenge Rotax Max Championship in the 2 geared DD2 class. In 2006 also i was racing in the ROK Cup on the Malaysian series, all at the Elite track. After 2008, the racing went underground where we took part on more friendly ( read unsanctioned races ) held by the shah alam owner at the shah alam track.....and my last race was in end 2010 at Langkawi Circuit with them.

Yes, I had driven 6 speed shifters ( TM engine ) at both Shah Alam and Sepang. Shah Alam would be the faster of the 2 tracks due to the 2 straights where you can hit in excess of 130kph ( data logged ). I had the pleasure of also driving the 50bhp rotary engine at Shah Alam which was scary......due to the no engine braking effect. You can get down to 51 seconds easily at Shah Alam with the rotary and I doubt the shifter will be faster as its "busier/technical" to drive the shifter.

As a karter, i am in total agreement that NOTHING ( no super car ) will come close to the adrenaline you will get when you RACE a kart. I still have a Haase chassis and another forumer here has 2 karts - one a Swiss Hutless with Rotax Senior. ( his other was an old PDB )

PM me if you need more info, contacts of ppl who can run your kart and perhaps one day we can practise together. Another tip to know is Sepang, Shah Alam and Langkawi run by same Ng family...

Btw, Tyres would be the most expensive here.......Mojos cost RM750 a set and they last 150laps tops. ( shifter will be less......due to the power ) Do bring some engine spares too when you bring in the kart back. ( spare pistons, clutch plates, springs, brake pads, sprockets, pinions and chains....cheaper lar there )

Anyway have fun!

Went to City Kart today ... played with the 80cc and 100cc ... malu la the lap times compared with the best ones for the month!!! LOL!!!!!

Thank you jules for the info. It would be nice to practice together. I hold on to the words :eek: Looking forward already.

The kart is up-to-date never been into a race before (as well as the previous owner). Only for practice and hobby purpose.

My plan is to major service the engine before ship the kart back. And yes, after some research on the internet, the parts in Malaysia is expensive.

I also drove a rotary before (courtesy of my fellow garage member) Rotary is sick! No wonder Mazda 787b was banned from Le Mans.

tIANcI;757836 said:
Went to City Kart today ... played with the 80cc and 100cc ... malu la the lap times compared with the best ones for the month!!! LOL!!!!!

They installed a lap time sensor on the track? Last time I went there's no such thing.

Yes they do now on all the karts. Darn malu. Almost 10 secs off the best time! Bearing times are based on the rented karts.

tIANcI;757851 said:
Yes they do now on all the karts. Darn malu. Almost 10 secs off the best time! Bearing times are based on the rented karts.

10 secs is a lot! Maybe they tuned down the karts knowing you will be there. Can't you see the conspiracy? LOL :eek:

autobotross;757883 said:
10 secs is a lot! Maybe they tuned down the karts knowing you will be there. Can't you see the conspiracy? LOL :eek:

Oh yeah ... that is true! I want my money back!!!

Auto,

I just saw your pix.....cannot see earlier.

I note you have a rotary valve type engine which is very rare in Malaysia. I drove a direct drive 100cc once with a rotary valve......it was frighteningly fast but ... I was a total newbie then! Tuning the carburetor is not easy especially with the chain zipping nearby....on the 100cc!

For shifters, I have only seen and driven reed valve engines..... Which are easier to re-build and tune. So do be forewarned when you bring your rotary disc engine home.....

I woul say that the track at Shah Alam will be best place for you......the track is longer, giving you some chance to rest.....plus the workshop is better prepared for your kart! If you need intro to the owners, just pm me...

Cheers! Btw, I like your tennis ball protector......we dun see that here! :)

Jules,

thank you for the tips. Yes, the kart has a rotary valve. The last of its kind (KV-series)

As for the carburetor, I have a really hard time finding the best setting. It is like the optimal point varies every time I start the engine. Worst are during springs and autumns.
During springs and autumns the air pressure and density are relatively low compared to summer and rich setting is required to save the motor (learned that from local karters) And my current setting stays at rich since the piston is due for a change. Better safe than sorry.

The tennis ball is kinda cool right? Found the ball in a trash can. Finally it comes to sense what recycling really means.

p/s: Maybe you could help me tuning the carburetor. You know tonnes of knowledge in karting world.

Auto,

I replied your PM.....

Tuning a kart is not difficult but you need to know the carby well. I am more familiar with the fixed jet carby like the Dellortho slide carby......which is used on the Rotax Max and also my ROK. I even had a weather station and software once to help me fine tune my engine but I think reading the plug is always a good knowledge to have. ( plus looking at the amount of exhaust smoke )

So for a carby like yours - reading the plug is a must and frankly I would caution on the safe side......rich than to risk a seized engine! Of course, I had siezed them before too. Anyhow, the senior mechanics at Shah Alam like Ah Boon and Ah Miao will be of good help to your carby issues. Btw, you may need a cooler plug here so get some before you come home. They are RM75-RM80 ( Nippondenso ) a pop here....few years ago. We also used to warm up on cheap Bosch car plugs at start of the day......those were the days :)

When you get your kart home......call me and I will meet you at Shah Alam.

Top Bottom