E92 M3 crash in the rain

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

astroboy

[video=youtube;GnKE-f7y_Ao]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnKE-f7y_Ao[/video]Is that something fell out from the windscreen when the car airborne upside down? :13:

halfcuts of it will be arriving here soon.. body panels won't be much use tho.

If he/she steer to right and accelerate instead of braking, he/she would have saved the car.. Drive slow guys especially if its raining

The right lane is wetter than the left lane, can compare the reflection on the road surface. A sudden turn of the steering which takes the car from right lane to left lane spell disaster. Left wheel no problem with traction while right wheel struggling for traction. Moreover, the staggered wheel setup in such situation makes matter worst. To add on, the driver applied brake.. alamak..

Looks like the setting is in China. The M3 overtook from the wrong lane

Looks like Taiwan from the road signs.

From what I see, the fella lifted off the gas too fast. The weight balance fly instantly towards the front along with the heavy V8 and nothing was weighing down the rear and it insta-aquaplaned. No hope of recovery, even if the DSC was on, because there was absolutely no grip on the rear tires. He was already counter-steering, but the rear was still sliding faster than his front, hence why it looked like he was deliberately turning into the concrete barrier.

Just maybe, he could have saved the car if he let go off the brakes and let the car's weight balance on the rear, but highly unlikely.

the driver tried to pass this car with camera and gave signal to join the left lane so it is not natural that the driver lifted off...he/she lost traction right at the moment the indicator went off...it is just a basic no-traction due to aqua-planning...at that angle pointing to the barrier, please do not tell me most ppl can overcome their natural instinct to brake coz that is the only thing you can do to try to reduce the speed into the barrier...even if you dont brake, there is no traction that can be regain at that speed to steer the car away...you are just a passenger at that point of time...

Did anyone notice the driver fell out from the windscreen at 0:13 and 0:51 ?! :13:

.. I think it's the left side mirror snapped and flew off.

I can't see anyone fly out from the car and the windscreen looks intact and still in place at the last frame before the camera car turned away. I'm actually shocked that the door of the car can actually fly open at impact. Wouldn't that already mark the car as a failure in Euro-NCAP crash safety requirements?
Makes me wonder if that is a "China" M3

Rain, fat tyres, inexperience driver and a lack of respect for the conditions........

I think at the end of the day, the moral of the story is to drive safely during rainy days and wet condition.

Petrus;763532 said:
I think at the end of the day, the moral of the story is to drive safely during rainy days and wet condition.

And.. ///M cars cannot defy the laws of physics all the time.. only most of the time :rock:

thanks for sharing, AB.

never speed in the rain....period.

IMO, i think that it was the driver airbag that flew out the window. the window pane itself ripped off at impact.
the main body shell appears to be intact, hope the driver and any passengers were not seriously scathed.

Game-R;763407 said:
Looks like Taiwan from the road signs.

From what I see, the fella lifted off the gas too fast. The weight balance fly instantly towards the front along with the heavy V8 and nothing was weighing down the rear and it insta-aquaplaned. No hope of recovery, even if the DSC was on, because there was absolutely no grip on the rear tires. He was already counter-steering, but the rear was still sliding faster than his front, hence why it looked like he was deliberately turning into the concrete barrier.

Just maybe, he could have saved the car if he let go off the brakes and let the car's weight balance on the rear, but highly unlikely.

Have nothing to add to what happened in the video but would like to highlight that the S65 V8 is lighter than the S54 inline 6. There is a lot of misconception that the V8 is too front heavy when it is actually lighter and shorter than the inline 6 but it is wider.

Accidents like these are not uncommon given that cars are made to go faster and more powerful. and anyone with money can buy them with or without the necessary skills to handle them...

can tell the driver wasn't doing the countersteering manouver to attempt to recover control... Anyway, if the driver is smart driver, probably won't arrive at this point of no return... Wet road + wide tyres + speed = disaster waiting to happen.

MRsamdol;763736 said:
There is a lot of misconception that the V8 is too front heavy when it is actually lighter and shorter than the inline 6 but it is wider.
Point noted, and I should rephrase that sentence. Unless you're having a 0.25l motorcycle engine at the front, any engine is heavy and contains mass that you have to keep in mind when you're tossing it around. Even worse in the wet. Once you start sliding, that's the end.

Top Bottom