e60 2nd hand gearbox

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
Can anyone know what happen to my gear box? the problem is when i start my car, i hear "trok" sound from gear box. sometimes no sound.... i do online search, some said is due to software problem...send to auto bavaria sg besi ask me change gear box and quote 50k.. crazy@@

Please help~~~~

he he...typical response from AB....bro go to first page and see the response from bro Herbert on PKL motorsports...

Twll said:
Hi dear sifu,

Anyone can enlighten me on how to solve my gearbox showing symptom of breaking down. When car slow down back to 1st gear it knocks. Could it be gearbox oil need to change? I read before somewhere 1 year need to change.

Asked my mechanic, he told me with labour overhaul it also need cost about rm12k. That is really expensive. Perhaps any good solutions towards it? Thanks
What car are you using le? there are three types of Auto transmission for E60's minus the M5 and Alpina. 6hp19/6hp21 and 6hp26 like my 545i . Complete overhaul should cost from 6-8k.Cheaper way is change the valvebody and solenoid for a third of the price but my gearbox was shot badly so i just send for rebuild hope it comes out fine :p

Hi bro Ravin,

My gearbox i think is the early generation of E60. So i guess it is not the advance gearbox. As my model is basic 520i. I think ill bring to pkl motorsport as per refer by bro Herbert and diagnosed what is happening. The knocking came back again and it seems to get worse now. Huhuhu.

All e60 & e90 whether 1st batch or LCI model share the same auto-gearbox i.e. ZF6HP19.

Ooo thanks bro Herbert. Went to PKL for diagnose. Will go ahead with replacing solenoid which im glad no need rebuilt whole gearbox. Huhuhu

Done change solenoid at PKL Motorsports. Now the gearbox no more knocking and smooth transmissions now. Very happy now.

Twll said:
Done change solenoid at PKL Motorsports. Now the gearbox no more knocking and smooth transmissions now. Very happy now.
Good to hear that.

Twll said:
Actually, I managed to solve the same issue by just upgrading the firmware of the Transmission Control Unit.
Got to a shop with AutoLogic - Upgraded the Firmware (Actually I upgraded all the ECU in the car) - RM500 solve all issue and everything seems to work better.

seanswn said:
Actually, I managed to solve the same issue by just upgrading the firmware of the Transmission Control Unit.
Got to a shop with AutoLogic - Upgraded the Firmware (Actually I upgraded all the ECU in the car) - RM500 solve all issue and everything seems to work better.
Sorry to burst your bubble but the firmware fix is only temporary fix. Been there, done that.

Meanwhile either your solenoids or worse clutch plates is still wearing down, now faster.

Depending on the values read from the autologic, it's usually one of the two parts eventually needs to be replaced. Oops maybe three if u add in the valve body.

Changing the solenoids is the cheapest, with the clutch plates at the other end of the repair $ scale (aka gearbox overhaul).

BMW issued as SIB (Service Information Bulletin) in December 2008, as follows:
SI B 24 08 08
Automatic Transmission December 2008
Technical Service
This Service Information bulletin supersedes SI B24 08 08 dated October 2008.
SUBJECT
E62, E70 with 6HP19TU - Transmission Clunks after Engine Start
MODEL
E60, E61 with N52K or N54 and 6HP19TU produced from 03/07 up to 09/08
E70 (X5 3.0) with N52K and 6HP19TU produced from 12/06 up to 10/08
SITUATION
The customer may complain about a clunking noise heard from the transmission, sometimes accompanied by a "bang", felt in the rear of the vehicle after engine start-up. This complaint can be intermittently reproduced when the transmission is in the P position (the noise and/or jolt does not occur when the selector gear is placed in N).
CAUSE
EGS software calibration in regards to the transmission self-check test on the engine start
SOLUTION
On a customer complaint basis only, check the vehicle's integration level.
If the integration level is:
On E60, E61 vehicles - E060-08-03-550 or lower
On E70 vehicles � E070-08-05-525 or lower
Reprogram and recode the complete vehicle with a current Progman version (V31.1 or higher). The target integration levels are E060-08-09-520 or E070-08-09-520, respectively, for E60, E61 and E70 vehicles.

Hi Bro, if i start my car have "tak tak" sound, but sometimes dun have.. is this what u guys mean knocking sound? please advise...

Hi
I having the same issue on this
Mr Herbert, I'm looking for you urgently
Kindly pm me soonest, thanks

Twll said:
bro mind to share how much it cause you , with workmanship.

unstopables_7 said:
bro mind to share how much it cause you , with workmanship.
Let me give you some figures as I was the first one who did the solenoids replacement at PKL in 2013.

1. A set of new ZF solenoids (7 pieces) from Bomin Auto - RM1.5k
2. ATF oil pan cum filter from Bomin - RM280
3. 7 litres ZF ATF fluid from Bomin @rm 65.00/litre = RM 455
4. Labor charges including reset of solenoids values - RM 700

Hi bro unstopables,

I remember i paid a total of rm2500 like that. Cant remember it in total of workmanship and also top up on gear oil and resetting again.

Changed 2nd sets of solenoid, problem also appear, no jerk, but during shifting from 2nd to 3rd gear, move abit, gearbox error appear. Kinda soft of gear slipped. It happen only early in the morning, after the error, restart the car then error gone. Then afternoon time, driving smooth, but middle of speeding, you can feel a little resistance during gear changed. I tried these for about 2-3 weeks. Finally, until the error can't disappear, then, i have no choice, so overhaul the whole gearbox at RM 6.5K, i left car about 1 month to fully test it. After collecting back, it's smooth like a new car....i think still can drive for another 5-6 years....hmm.. mileage of the car is 195K during car collection (I'm not sure is this the genuine mileage or being tampered by previous seller) :68:

Hi all,

Just want to share something with e60 owners. Especially those who are driving LCI which having the newer gear stick. Our GB solenoid is not 7 pieces. It is 8 pieces. It caught me and Lai - PKL off guard. I bought the 7 pieces version from BA with chassis no provided. But wrong package provided. I asked BA why? It said in the system it is only showing the solenoid but didn't specify 7 or 8 pieces.

Since the GB had been dismantled, die die need to fix it up. The 8 pieces is 2.1k for the part alone compare to the 7 pieces which is 1.4k.
But BA/Sun Huat/Bomin all do not have stock with the 8 pieces version. Luckily Lai managed to secure me 1 set from his friend. While BA allow me to returned since the package is not open yet.

Hopefully this solenoid will fix the famous "kick back" issue when car stopping.

Attachments

• GB.jpeg
    GB.jpeg
    56.3 KB · Views: 15
  • GB2.jpeg
    GB2.jpeg
    82.9 KB · Views: 12
Top Bottom