E46 transmission problem

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

dancch

Club Guest
Hi all sifus,My ride e46 320i when slowing down it jerks, plugged in scanner it showed torque converter clutch too much slip went to mech. to comfirm, result same, mech. advice to rebuilt the converter. is it necessary to rebuilt? since the dashboard not showing the gear fault mark, can continue driving if not rectify? will it be better if upgrade the gearbox software? or live with it?any sifus experience before? please advice many thanks.

I don't think you can upgrade the software to compensate for what is an impending mechanical failure.
If the converter clutch is slipping, the only means of permanently fixing it is a rebuild.

I had same symptom for my 325. When changing down from 3rd to 2nd, would jerk. Not always though, usually when car has been driven some distance/time. Then problem started becoming worse, jerks came even when car traveled only short distances. Finally one day, everything just went south..... step on gas, all the VROOOM VROOM noise associated with revving to 6000rpm but car goes inch by inch only. Luckily was close to home and just managed to limp home. Had to call tow truck to take car to mech. DIagnosis? GB failure. Overhaul/rebuild the entire thing, including changing torque converter. Cost? OOOOUUUUCHHHHH!!!!! :)

If it's any consoltation to you, I had the jerk symptom for almost 2 years before GB gave up on me. So you might still have time..... or you might not! If this is your daily ride which takes you far away from home, then better get it done. Last thing you want is to be stuck far away from home when you're rushing to go somewhere.

Had the converter rebuild today, the car is more responsive when step lightly on the gas pedal as compare before, yet have to full test car. will update later.

Please share how much is the cost to rebuild and which shop did it.

interesting....i gather now that issues concerning with downshirt jerking could mean two things...

1. valve soleniod not working...remedy: change gear valve body...damage: RM2k plus gear oil RM2500 approx
2. torque converter not working...remedy: rebuild torque converter (at pix no. 2 above)....camage: ????

Bro, According to the mech. he cut the converter sideways, replace the component inside and weld back with special machine
is this the way to rebuilt? Please advise. Tested the car few days still feel some minor jerk but not as bad as before, scanned with
pasoft scanner show same error code, using the mech. scanner it shows no error, wonder if my / his scanner is inaccurate. anyway the cost for converter rebuilt rm1350, labour rm270, 2 pcs manifold gasket flut rm78, gear oil-up 2 1/2 litres rm120

need advice on this issue, i replace second unit of torque converter after getting the same error code on the scanner which excessive torque converter lock-up - too much slip, mechanic advice my to overhaul gearbox, he is suspecting the oil pressure pump, any sifus here have experinced this before? need advice before
the mechanic take ride as his experiment test lab.

Bro dancch, are you saying that after you got your torque converter rebuilt, you still have the jerking problem? If you scanned it with the scanner and it still shows error code, you should not accept the car. I hope your mech gives you warranty for his work. How much did he quote you to overhaul the GB?

I'm disappointed with mechanic, he ask me to bare with it till the gaer box develope further problems than overhauled it. never bother to ask how much the price. Any idea how much it cost? i'm suspecting the one of the seleniod valve, valve body maybe?
any good mechanic to recommed for the gearbox checking be spending blindly. Thank in advance

hi dancch

just got my g/box change to a GM5 2nd hand japan spec. i must say its feels more like a car now. anyway... dont think u can overhaul the torque converter. (Don't Bother) makes no sense and all my entire experience no one ever rebuild 1 at all. either the mech is really insane or taking you far a ride and milk you dry.

u may need to diagnose via de computer and if the list (u mentioned) is faulty trust me it will show the faults. anyhow go to a trusted mech or workshop so u dont need to pay or waste unnecessary $$. i have changed 3 rounds of ATF (cost me RM 1200) and hoping it was the oil but after trying hard to save $$ in the end i had to spend more and change the g/box.... problem solved. all wear & tear parts has a life line. if you are ard sunway area u should pop by Motoren onwer is George. cool dude and he will advise you the options available. price is reasonable. no harm is asking 2nd opinion....

cheers...

Hi, just want to share my experience. Diagnostic my e46 showed P0741 fault code Torque converter clutch circuit performance or stuck off all the time, some foreman asked either to rebuild torque converter or change another unit which easily cost you RM2-4k. After spent quite some time to research the fault code & checked related item 1 by 1, finally solved it without touching GB after replaced the alternator. Alternator & damage battery will caused torque converter error. Hope will help. Tq.

^check alternator and battery have good charge. Maybe hook up to a trickle charger overnight and see if that makes a difference. Check ATF level at working temp. Only way to do this is via the fill plug. Oil level should be tight upto it when in working temp.

btw, im guessing you cleared the code and it reappeared? If not, you might be looking at the codes that got logged before you did the repairs.

Yes, Fault code keep reappeared whenever I checked. Luckily settled without touch GB & GB temperature back to normal degree :)

Hi guys. Im driving e46 325i.have same problem with jerking. The problem happen when it shift from 3 to 2. But when i used sports mode, there is no jerking. Do diagnosis today and found out something on solenoid valve. Check the battery and found out that battery already weak. Will change the battery tomorrow.

Guys. Any idea why it is jerking and what could be the cause of that jerking. Please advise.

dancch;663141 said:
need advice on this issue, i replace second unit of torque converter after getting the same error code on the scanner which excessive torque converter lock-up - too much slip, mechanic advice my to overhaul gearbox, he is suspecting the oil pressure pump, any sifus here have experinced this before? need advice before
the mechanic take ride as his experiment test lab.

if u do some survey, the only solution is to change the brand new torque instead of rebuilt or used unit. . .

Its nothing to do wit d gearbox cos d torque converter is the favourite failure for 5hp19 gearbox. . .

Pls Google bmw fault code p0741or p0740. . . U can find all information that u need. . .

i have replaced my gearbox with 2nd hand GB. it costs a lot. but sadly, my new gb also have the same problem. jerking when downshift 3 to 2. and sometimes, jerking like hell everytime shifting to any gear. its very strong jerk, feels like my differential going to explode. except from zf 5hp 19, is it any option of gearbox for m54 engine?
or anybody experience gearbox overhaul and how long it can lasts without problem?
ive scanned using scanner 1.4.0 it shows error on output rev signal and gb sump oil temp sensor. but those 2 error can be cleared. are those error is the cause of gb jerk?
im getting fed up with this transmission problem. plz help me, if anybody knows how to cure.

Top Bottom