E46 Radio Volume Knob Repair

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

sauce

Hi All,

Does anyone know where or how can i fix my Radio Volume Knob in KL? im not able to adjust the volume anymore but still able to turn on and off.

im having the Basic E46 Radio Cassette.

Thanks~

No need to repair coz you can use the volume control on the MF steering wheel.

Hi Jarance,

My steering Wheel is the basic one which does not have any buttons there. is there any alternative ways?

sauce said:
Hi Jarance,

My steering Wheel is the basic one which does not have any buttons there. is there any alternative ways?
There are some people who upgrade their steering to MF.

BTW, the on/off and the volume are 2 switches.

ON/OF is a toggle switch whereas the volume is like a rotary switch. That means you can turn it forever.
I think the locking nut for the volume is loose. Just open it and check.

Thanks Jarance,

im not a technical guy. im scared that i broke something else when i open it. haha..
is there any workshop to go to?

sauce said:
Thanks Jarance,

im not a technical guy. im scared that i broke something else when i open it. haha..
is there any workshop to go to?
No idea coz I usually DIY this type of thing. Maybe can try some accesories shop?

hmm.. accessories shop nowadays is mostly plug and play. hardly find those that willing to repair

sauce said:
hmm.. accessories shop nowadays is mostly plug and play. hardly find those that willing to repair
bro, do you have some basic tool. It is really not that hard to remove the HU.

just make sure you have a jack hammer and a chain saw.. (just joking)

Hi Bro, try to just press slightly harder and turn...it will work.. mine is same as yours..

arun5976 said:
Hi Bro, try to just press slightly harder and turn...it will work.. mine is same as yours..
hmm.. it used to be that way where i need to apply some pressure. but now its like completely lose.. press slightly harder and turn does not help :( anymore

jarance said:
bro, do you have some basic tool. It is really not that hard to remove the HU.

just make sure you have a jack hammer and a chain saw.. (just joking)
haha maybe i will try DIY on one fine day.. last thing i want is to make it completely not functioning.. haha

It just happen to me. The knob cannot adjust the volume.

Open it up and found that the rotary switch is broken. The plastic part inside the switch is broken.

Getting the part from China to try out. BTW the switch is EC11 rotary with momentary switch.
Cost about USD0.90 to order.

http://g02.a.alicdn.com/kf/HTB1WNwOHVXXXXa3XXXXq6xXFXXX7/Wholesale-12mm-ALPS-EC11-Rotary-Encoder-Switch-W-Keyswitch-HQ-new-free-shipping.jpg_640x640.jpg

Wholesale-12mm-ALPS-EC11-Rotary-Encoder-Switch-W-Keyswitch-HQ-new-free-shipping.jpg_640x640.jpg

kw930 said:
But in some cases the broken knob also can be caused by this white plastic holder :
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-BMW-E46-BUSINESS-CD-CD53-RADIO-VOLUME-BUTTON-KNOB-MOUNTING-PLATE-DIY-REPAIR-/151788111513?hash=item235746c699:g:VKAAAOSwGvhUGzsS&vxp=mtr

The cost of repair will be expensive.
yes, this usually apply for the BMW Business CD version. Happen to a lot of people. Mine is cassette version btw.

To confirm is to rotate the knob of the volume. if there is no 'clicking' movement, the rotary encoder is broken.

jarance said:
yes, this usually apply for the BMW Business CD version. Happen to a lot of people. Mine is cassette version btw.

To confirm is to rotate the knob of the volume. if there is no 'clicking' movement, the rotary encoder is broken.
I see, think I don't have this broken plastic problem too since mine is also cassette version.
Currently also facing the same issue, i.e. knob volume turn malfunction since few months ago, but luckily still got the steering control.
However, am thinking of trying to get a double DIN player instead of repairing the knob.
Anyway, too many player type out there and ranging from few hundred to few thousand, don't know which to choose.

It just happen to me. The knob cannot adjust the volume.

Open it up and found that the rotary switch is broken. The plastic part inside the switch is broken.

Getting the part from China to try out. BTW the switch is EC11 rotary with momentary switch.
Cost about USD0.90 to order.

http://g02.a.alicdn.com/kf/HTB1WNwO...eyswitch-HQ-new-free-shipping.jpg_640x640.jpg

Wholesale-12mm-ALPS-EC11-Rotary-Encoder-Switch-W-Keyswitch-HQ-new-free-shipping.jpg_640x640.jpg

Hello Sir. Did you ever get this part listed in this thread? If so I'm unable to find a vendor. Could you please help. My knob is broken exactly as yours did. Thanks

Hello Sir. Did you ever get this part listed in this thread? If so I'm unable to find a vendor. Could you please help. My knob is broken exactly as yours did. Thanks

hai. the vendor that I order is no longer available. You try to google "EC11" instead.

Top Bottom