E30/E32/E34/E36/E39/E46 Automatic Transmission Fluid Reference & Procedures (ZF/GM)

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

bimmerholic

Club Guest
I realized there were some questions in regards to the type of ATF oil which is the recommended or suitable to use to the types of slush-boxes that is fitted to your car.Well, here's a quick summary of the types of ATF oil that you are to use when you're due for a change. This should be handy to many.ZF Transmission (1991-1999)
ZF1999Chart.jpg
ZF Transmission (2000-2003)
ZF2000Chart.jpg
GM Transmission (1991-1999)
GM1999Chart.jpg
GM Transmission (2000-2003)
GM2000Chart.jpg
Some information on carrying out the ATF oil change.
e46-auto-trans1.gif
e46-auto-trans2.gif
e46-auto-trans3.gif
zf-procedures1.jpg
zf-procedures2.jpg

Dont quite understand the chart. I'm using e46 318 model but I can't find it in the chart. Can anyone pls advise?
Having transmission problem lately. Gear not shifting, transmission indicator lighted up, car no power (speed does not increase but rpm meter increases when I press the accelerator). I'm not sure if its bcos I might have use the wrong ATF or something more major.

Actually, I am wondering the same thing. My car is the E46 318i M43, and I want to know if the transmission is the ZF or the GM type?

Hope the knowledgeable sifus out there can help ....

mushaini;799996 said:
Actually, I am wondering the same thing. My car is the E46 318i M43, and I want to know if the transmission is the ZF or the GM type?

Hope the knowledgeable sifus out there can help ....
Bro, go to

http://realoem.com/bmw/

Type in your vin no, your gearbox type should be there.

Guys, if you do send car to change oil for transmission make sure they change the pan gasket. Mine first time kena con they charge but tak tukar. Leaked and then every time drive can smell oil burn. Went to diff workshop only managed to rectify the problem.. Okay already.. But, need some guidance on how to do preventive maintenance for gearbox.. Any previous thread i can have a look or useful websites? I am also looking at e46 fanatics forum just to gather more info.. Thank you..

AmoiSky;800091 said:
Guys, if you do send car to change oil for transmission make sure they change the pan gasket. Mine first time kena con they charge but tak tukar. Leaked and then every time drive can smell oil burn. Went to diff workshop only managed to rectify the problem.. Okay already.. But, need some guidance on how to do preventive maintenance for gearbox.. Any previous thread i can have a look or useful websites? I am also looking at e46 fanatics forum just to gather more info.. Thank you..

Just do fluid change every 30k km or so for maintenance bro. And of course to jaga the GB, do not always rempit kawkaw. Once in a while okay. :)

Strider74, thank you for the link.

To the best that I could figure, the auto transmission is A4S 200R - XH part no. 24007510958

I still don't know if this is ZF or GM transmission.

Anybody can advise?

Bro send your car to workshop to jack up and check, i remember last time when i bring down my gear box to change my Auto Shaft Seal there was a Tag as pic below;
6968978967_ed97a3fb05.jpg

6968980451_55219d69d3.jpg

Take note on the auto oil filter, if i am not mistaken the ZF & GM are different.

I believe your GB-A4S200R having the same shape auto oil filter with mine which your auto oil filter prt no: 24117557071 & mine was 24117557070. So your GB should be GM same as mine too..

AmoiSky;800091 said:
i think people normally change both filter & pan gasket when do gb oil replacement. mine is now stranded at workshop because the screw thread that hold up the pan are all kaput. looks like previous owner never changed the oil before. plus mine is uk spec, so bolts & screws underneath the car are all rusty. need to wait shop open to buy the same torx screw. has anybody here changed into other type of screws?

Bro huskar when you get the screws let me know as I will be needing them too, my all rusted too along with the pan. Got a new rust free pan from chop shop, waiting to replace the GB oil.

274,000 kms and no GB oil change since new :p

haywire;803929 said:
Bro huskar when you get the screws let me know as I will be needing them too, my all rusted too along with the pan. Got a new rust free pan from chop shop, waiting to replace the GB oil.

274,000 kms and no GB oil change since new :p
will do bro. yesterday my mech called BA but they said do not sell. my mech then called a gb shop and get quoted rm13 per piece. if 20 pcs than rm260! cannot tahan.

Well I guess thats ok since the plastic rivets that goes on the wheel arch liner is already RM4-5 each for such a small piece of plastic.

go to a nut and bolt shops they have all type for sale... there is a lot at loke yew road and one in sunway.. bring your old one to compare.. even you can upgrade to stainless steel... no need for high grade as the screws is just to hold the pan...

just because BMW, very high price...

pussy;804082 said:
go to a nut and bolt shops they have all type for sale... there is a lot at loke yew road and one in sunway.. bring your old one to compare.. even you can upgrade to stainless steel... no need for high grade as the screws is just to hold the pan...

I heard from Ramsing your screw it the most powderful. please advice how to make our screw as powderful as u.

pussy;804082 said:

i think it's better to use hexagon head type compared to philips or the original torx. will hardly loose its thread unlike the other two. my mech charged me rm5 per pc. forgot what type he told me just now. but not the original one.

initialM;804083 said:
I heard from Ramsing your screw it the most powderful. please advice how to make our screw as powderful as u.
lol i like it when u start to comment.

Top Bottom