Difficult to renew insurance for cars > 20years?

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
Thanks Fabian,

what about our othr e30 friends in the forum? is everyone on third party as well...

Yes it's tough to find insurer, slim chance but may be possible. Mine is '84e30, still comprehensive cover -thru insurance broker, not agent.

Many insurers are unwilling to offer 3rd party due to high claim but small premium, especially if you're a new customer for them. I just renewed my 21 yrs old clunker with Etiqa but need comprehensive cover and RM8k sum insured. Don't think that besi buruk is worth that much but no choice.

MMIP would be the last resort.

Latest update:

Just renewed my insurance for the E30. Again I went to the Post Office. This time round, instead of getting the MMIP 3rd Party insurance, I was offered the UniAsia 3rd party Fire and Theft insurance. Took this instead for extra protection for theft. For RM10k insured sum, it worked out to be RM220. (MMIP was RM130)

http://www.uniasiageneral.com.my/uniasia_general/products/motor_fire_theft.php

I just renewed my rtax and insurance for my red baby e30 1983 coupe. Allianz fire and theft- sum insured 100k. Premium RM 1898.00 after 25% NCD.pheww...the agent kept asking...your car worth so much ahh....30 years old lohh...hehehe

I thought insurance will only pay out the current market price for the car in the event of a claim, no matter how much you insure it for?

how to determine the current market price for a 30 year old fully restored classic?

haywire;825399 said:
I thought insurance will only pay out the current market price for the car in the event of a claim, no matter how much you insure it for?

Yup bro, i agree with you:)...normally insurance company will based on current market price or amount of insured, whichever is lower....Example if you car market value is RM 40,000 and amount insured RM 48,000, the claim amount will be based on the market value:)

the agent told me that the company will pay the sum insured minus some percentage in the event of theft or fire..

Mine just renew with Kurnia sum insured rm43k...
Full NCD 55% so around rm1110 inclusive windshield,floods & break down...
Kurnia Kompleks PKNS Shah Alam...

renewed one E30 insurance in March, just received quote for the other expiring next week. no issues.

Volvos525i;825405 said:
Mine just renew with Kurnia sum insured rm43k...
Full NCD 55% so around rm1110 inclusive windshield,floods & break down...
Kurnia Kompleks PKNS Shah Alam...
The thread about renewing insurance and roadtax for cars more than 20 years old... Which car you renewed your insurance for?

johnj;825392 said:
I just renewed my rtax and insurance for my red baby e30 1983 coupe. Allianz fire and theft- sum insured 100k. Premium RM 1898.00 after 25% NCD.pheww...the agent kept asking...your car worth so much ahh....30 years old lohh...hehehe

Wah... so high insurance kah???

johnj;825414 said:
hehehe fabian...dowan to take risks...
but I think it's way too much... when it really comes to claiming (touch wood), i doubt they will really pay out that much. but now they will happily pocket all the premium.

will value it and work it out with my lawyer friend....there are ways to claim....

fabianyee;825412 said:
The thread about renewing insurance and roadtax for cars more than 20 years old... Which car you renewed your insurance for?

oh sorry miss out the year bro...
Mine 1999...

Johnj, usually there is procedure on it. This way u done wont work. They take it without you telling them its a classic which you will have to produce the pictures, documentation, blah-blah for them to agree. Then there is a loading for it say 50% max.

The way you took from them under 100k, they will base it on market value if and if your car gets caught for fire or go missing. if accident, kiss all goodbye.
If need to, got to be comprehensive, just like what i did. but they paid me half of the 40k i insured.

want help, i can put you to the right parties..:eek:

pussy;825427 said:
. if accident, kiss all goodbye.

Why is that so ..don't they pay off the sum as agreed ...like that susah lorrr..johnj ..pass me ya car and you have rm100k to spend all over again ..ke ke ke

hehehe..I know pussy that's why I checked with my "friend" and it can be done with some procedures which is being done as I speak.....btw I valuated the car at 110

Top Bottom