Contemplating non run flats.

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

Proxyserv

Hi guys,

It is almost due for tire replacement. I'm currently running CSC5 225/50R18 on all fours. I've been thinking of switching over to non run flats for a more comfortable and quieter ride. Is it a good idea to trade off this safety net? Throughout the 8 years of ownership of this car, I've only experienced one flat tire incident and and having run flats was such a life saver. I'd like to hear your experiences and get some advice from you all.
What non run flat tire model would you recommend that best match the CSC5 performance?

I'm not a believer in run-flats, I cannot even remember the last puncture that I had it was so long ago (and several different cars ago). I carry a can of instant repair - although I really can't vouch for their effectiveness as I've never had to use it but you do need to catch a deflating tyre before it gets shredded. (I do get a new one every couple of years as the gas leaks a bit and I imagine that the compound get less effective) Thankfully most BM's that are less than about 15 years old have a warning that will let you know if a tyre is going soft so you can pump the instant repair into it.
I also figure that even if I had to call a tow truck once in five or eight years I still save money and have a much nicer driving experience. A BM is after all a Drivers Car :)

Thanks for the reply ducatiman.
I have made up my mind to go for non fun flats. Am now deciding between Michelin Pilot Sport 4 and Primacy 4. After doing some reading online, here are some key points that I have managed to pick up:

Pilot Sport 4:
1) Softer rubber compound which results in better contact on the road. Stickier = Better precise handling.
2) Because of point (1), it should perform better in the wet.
3) Because of point (1), fuel economy is somewhat not as good when compared to the Primacy 4.
4) You can hoon the car around a bit when the situation requires.
5) Because of point (1), these wear out faster when compared to the Primacy 4.

Primacy 4:
1) Slightly harder rubber compound. Less sticky. Some drivers feedback of floaty handling. I do not like floaty cars.
2) Because of point (1), it is not as effective in the wets when compared to the the Pilot Sport but does not mean that it is bad.
3) Because of point (1) fuel economy is slightly better than the Pilot Sport 4.
4) These *should be quieter BUT some users feedback that the new Primacy 4 are not as quiet as the previous generation.
5) They last longer when compared to the Pilot Sport 4.

I am more inclined towards the Pilot Sport 4 because I tend to drive fast and do not like to waste time on the road. Moreover, the 3GT is a heavy boy and it makes sense to keep it better grounded on the road. However, I am drawn to the positives of the latter but it seems to compromise on the safety a tad bit.
It would be great if any BMW drivers who have used the Primacy 4 over here in Malaysia can share your experiences using the Primacy 4. Are they good? I've always stuck to the OEM tire specs.

Normally, PS4PS4s being applied if you love or frequently engage in spirited driving. Primacy is very much comfort biased. Used to have Primacy 3 on my other ride. Last quite long (5 yrs, weekend driven car). With right tyre pressure, it is comfortable and quiet.

Normally, PS4PS4s being applied if you love or frequently engage in spirited driving. Primacy is very much comfort biased. Used to have Primacy 3 on my other ride. Last quite long (5 yrs, weekend driven car). With right tyre pressure, it is comfortable and quiet.

Thanks for your input, gendong.

Well, I've finally fitted non run flat Michelin Primacy 4's and I must say that the comfort has improved but by a negliable margin. It's not a night and day difference. Maybe I am not that sensitive to this sort of thing, hehe.
However, I do not like how these tyres look on the car. They seem somewhat sunken in even though it is the exact same size as my previous OEM conti run flats. The OEM tyre sidewall bulges out more IMO, which gave the car a nicer stance.
I am now comtemplating putting on H&R wheel spacers, 12mm in the front and 13mm for the rear to get the wheel flush with the fenders.

Top Bottom