Central Locking Kaput..

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
Bro Jarance,

What is the sign of door sensor close kaput. If it s not working do you think interior light is not responding to on/off and alarm will be triggered if i lock using remote? In my case the interior light is working as per normal and no alarm triggered.Display on instrument cluster also did not indicate right door open. Maybe it works differnetly. I understand to remove and fix the actuator is rather PITA. I hope I don't have to do that.

Appreciate your advise.

jarance;822552 said:
zidee,

since you have open the door and work on it, check for loose connection or something blocking the actuator.

high possibility is the actuator that is the culprit.

based on error 83 [131], it look like that the door close sensor is not functioning. check that out first.

will try to extract some info on the wiring from the WDS later.

zidee;822644 said:
Bro Jarance,

What is the sign of door sensor close kaput. If it s not working do you think interior light is not responding to on/off and alarm will be triggered if i lock using remote? In my case the interior light is working as per normal and no alarm triggered.Display on instrument cluster also did not indicate right door open. Maybe it works differnetly. I understand to remove and fix the actuator is rather PITA. I hope I don't have to do that.

Appreciate your advise.

can you get hold of the dcan cable and inpa? the inpa program can easily identify the status of the door.

jarance;822723 said:
can you get hold of the dcan cable and inpa? the inpa program can easily identify the status of the door.

Yes i do have DCAN cable and INPA. Which option should I use to check? I'm rather new to INPA. Use PA Soft most of the time.

I already rulled out fuse 53 at the trunk as if i remove that fuse, all the lock will not respond via remote. My problem is only not locking the front driver side.

As per Jarance suspect, I'm now quite certain it is a door lock actuator. Below pic is the spare unit I have.

8753672132_ff8c22b47f.jpg

Below is location of the actuator on top of the door lock mechanism.

8752563723_5bd9acbae1.jpg

I tried to remove the lock mechanism but not able to do so as i'm sure what else is holding it after i remove all the outer screw.

Any idea whats holding it? Was it the outer door handle hook?

Using INPA, you can go to body and check the ZKE or GM5 module.
There is a selection for input status check.

jarance;822749 said:
Using INPA, you can go to body and check the ZKE or GM5 module.
There is a selection for input status check.

Tq bro. I will look into it.

jarance said:
I think I know how to solve the problem. Based on the info from bmwgm5.com, the problem is due one relay taking all the load which cause the contact to wear prematurely. Solution is to distribute the load with another relay located outside the module. In order to prove my theory, I need a volunteer who have GM5 module problem for me to experiment. The job involve cutting 8 nos of wires and wired to the new relay. Cost of relay shall 5 amp rating but shall have 4poles to share the load of the 8 motors (actuator). Previously one contact (20 Amp rated) take the load of 8 actuator. The surge current cause the contact to wear off. if the load are distributed over 4 contacts, the wear is less. Furthermore, if one contact wear off, only one door is affected rather than 4 doors at the same time. IM, so planning to spend RM800 or RM100 for OM or RM200 for non OM (my cost).
Bro Jarance,

This the method(as red words on your posting) my friend help me to save a lot money to change the new GM5 module. The only diff mine was not the door problem and it was my rear right window can't roll down but can roll up. He use 2 pcs of relay and 1 pc of 15 amp fuse for safety purpose. Two wires need to cut and another two wires he just pry off the rubber and tapping the wires of the new relay.

Alex5522 said:
Bro Jarance,

This the method(as red words on your posting) my friend help me to save a lot money to change the new GM5 module. The only diff mine was not the door problem and it was my rear right window can't roll down but can roll up. He use 2 pcs of relay and 1 pc of 15 amp fuse for safety purpose. Two wires need to cut and another two wires he just pry off the rubber and tapping the wires of the new relay.
you mean something like this?

Bro Jarance,

The connection and the soldering part was a bit dif as your pic above.

Sorry for can't really give you the actual conection of the wiring being done from my friend to my GM5 module cause i am away during the connection when he is doing. But i am really happy that he can help me to do the surgery and modificaion on the relays. It's really works and save me quite some money to replaced a used or new GM5 module.

Below some pics i manage to snap while i am around his shop;
This is my GM5 Module and he did make a hole on the casing to fish out two wires after he soldering from the module card
0UJNHiX.png

He modify and using 2 nos of this type of 5 leg relays and the socket and rewired it outside to replace my damage ori relay on the GM5 module.(Pic borrow from website)
2LOOrml.png

He did using a piece of this type of 15 Amps fuse for safety purpose on the connection (Pic borrow from website)
bqOIyDg.jpg

This the Front view of the module card and he told me one of the relays in red circle was damage
Sfd9Sec.png

This the back view of the module card and he did soldering two wires on the leg of the damege relay and fish out this two wires through the hole of the casing of the module as the top pic shown
HgKcpUA.jpg

He did cut off two nos of wires from the red circle (total disconnected) and peel off the rubber of another two wires here too to tapping the two soldering wires which he was done earlier. Sorry that i am not really sure which two wires being cut and which two wires being tapping. (Pic borrow from Jarance posting)
g7jbBXO.jpg

what your friend did was tapped the open/close control signal from the existing relays to energise the two external relays.
then he power the existing motor from the new relay. QED.

As for me, I use 2 miniature relays and all the wiring modification is done inside the module.

Both methods works.

Anybody experience some problem with E46 central locking:-
Just experience a strange problem with my central locking on Saturday.
1. Cannot open the all the doors by the internal "Open Door" push button.
2. Cannot open the driver door by the remote control. However, the windows opens when continuously press the "->" (or unlock button on the remote control).
3. Can lock all doors when the remote "lock" button or "internal push button" is pressed. Can also open the rear boot when the remote "boot" PB is pressed.
4. When press the "internal open door", there was a slight click but the door did not open.
5. When press the lock key on remote, the door cannot be open from inside lever. Got me worried :eek: for a while as could not get out of the car. Luckily can open the window and use key to manually unlock the door.:wink:
6. Try to disconnect the battery supply to recycle the EWS, ECU and whatnot. Did not work.:stupid:
Yesterday on Sunday, the alarm went off for no reason.. Press the "->" and alarm is silenced.
Try to open and close door and found that every thing just work perfectly.. :love:

Note: Found that the driver side only have key lock whereas the passenger side door does not have any lock (similar to the rear door handle)

HI Jarance
My 2004 X5 now experience some of these faults, 1)petrol cover cant open, back seat left right actualtor can lock but cant unlock, but both door acn open manually from inside, i change 2 of the back seat door actuator but still the same, look like the GM module faulty, can you help?

HI Jarance
My 2004 X5 now experience some of these faults, 1)petrol cover cant open, back seat left right actualtor can lock but cant unlock, but both door acn open manually from inside, i change 2 of the back seat door actuator but still the same, look like the GM module faulty, can you help?
Loksim, what type of help do you need?
If you think the GM5 module is faulty, you can borrow a module from a friend who have the same model.
Swap it and resync the key and test it. If it work, you can get a replacement from the second hand shop.
GM5 module do not need re-coding to your car.

Top Bottom