2012 8 Series

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

Hammer278

Official Member
http://www.topspeed.com/cars/bmw/2012-bmw-8-series-ar89780.htmlAnyone know if the story of the 2012 8 Series holds substance? I read this in a mag with official pictures of the concept, the car hasn't been officially badged as yet, but it was unveiled in China and will hit production in 2 years time. The car is summarised as a 'sports version of a 7 series', which will be making its debut in Europe as 4 door petrol and diesel engined cars. To be honest, the car looks freakin awesome as a concept. Wish I could provide links to to the pictures I saw, this one doesn't do much justice.I'm thinking of scrapping my E92/F30 idea and just wait it out for this car which should hit Msian shores...in 5 or 6 years time hopefully? :canabis:

Errr... I thought the car was suppose to end up as a 6er Gran Coupe. The car should compete with the Panamera, A7 and the CLS. The Quattroporte is waaaaay off the league as it's in the state of the 7er. I don't think this car is a sport version of the 7er. This news could be right but check this one out.

I think topspeed.com gives us a bit of wrong info :(

Okay now I'm confused. =S

BMW have been talking for quite some time of reviving the legendary 8 series, and I thought this was the car which would take up the mantle...and now it seems it's coming under the 6 badge?

Time should tell.

well bmw don't have merc CL rival. aka 7 series coupe
but an 8 series is a different car i think

phas3r;530883 said:
well bmw don't have merc CL rival. aka 7 series coupe
but an 8 series is a different car i think

Well 8er should be a competitor to the CL actually..

Wikipedia said:
The 8 Series was designed as a direct competitor to the upcoming Mercedes-Benz SL-Class and S-Class coupes (later renamed the CL-Class). While it has less rear passenger volume than the CL which is considered a two-door sedan, the 8 Series could accommodate two passengers in the rear, while the SL roadster is a two-seater.

To be clear, BMW should not make a car to rival their competitor instead, build cars according to their customer demand. I think current cars line up is enough though...

Unfortunately from a marketing point of view, comparisons are inevitably made. From common sense point of view, how much does it take to satisfy a customer? A car which has a fuel consumption of let's say, 1 liter for 100km, ice cold aircond, comfortable seats and 200bhp from an 'average' car. Then the competitor comes out with a 1 liter for 120km, ice cold aircond, comfortable seats and 220bhp. The first car is officially the 'loser'. Although it suits all the 'basic' comforts.

I agree though, we don't need a new 7-er, this class has evolved completely into luxury millionnaires vehicle today. Reviving the 8 would be a bigger story for me.

True that! Well I didn't thought of marketing point of view the last time around. But I still think no use though. BMW will not be making money if they just build more cars(creating more models). Like the CL, the 6er is already luxury enough thus we don't need to. The E-Class coupe, still we have the 6er to compete. It's all going to waste with a lot of models in the line ups and yet, car quality is also a concern. The R&D also costs a lot...

BMW do need to compete with their competitor in terms of quality in their current existing line ups. What I meant was build another car to compete their competitor like CL - 7er coupe | A-Class - ???| etc... which they don't need to.

Enough with the current line up. 3er - C-Class | 5er - E-Class | 7er - S-Class. Now 1er came across my mind that Mercedes doesn't have a competitor for it...

Hammer278;527604 said:

Yawn. BMW is becoming the old Audi. The Audi A7 look much more desirable than this glob. They shoudn't churn out this 5m length of generic car with the same name. I think only Merc seems to have nailed the 4dr coupe concept.

M5POWER;530974 said:
BMW will not be making money if they just build more cars(creating more models). Like the CL, the 6er is already luxury enough thus we don't need to. The E-Class coupe, still we have the 6er to compete. It's all going to waste with a lot of models in the line ups and yet, car quality is also a concern. The R&D also costs a lot..

These ultra-high end vehicles might be sold in relatively small numbers by their respective manufacturers but the fact they’re based on (in most cases) already existing architecture makes them highly profitable. This 8 Series isn’t BMW’s bread and butter but I’m sure it’d have a much bigger profit margin than their 1 or 3 Series. Still lots of money to be made!

2012 BMW 8-Series car specification concept, technology ans exterior interior design, performance tuning ..

Top Bottom