1. Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

E90 parts & maintenance

Discussion in 'E90, E91, E92, E93' started by Juan Powerblow, Jan 7, 2008.

1. nabilishes

nabilishes New Member

My recent routine maintenance:

1. Engine oil Petronas Synthium 7000 0W-40 (requires 5L): RM274 per 4L bottle
    2. Oil filter element (BMW): RM28
    3. Brake fluid DOT4 (Bosch) (requires 2L to flush): RM25 per bottle
    4. Labour: DIY

2. JasonLoon

JasonLoon New Member

is it hard to do oil change yourself? ive been wasting rm80 for labour just for oil change

3. gendong

gendong Moderator
    Club Committee

Changing oil is a straight forward job. Just that u need the right equipment to make it easier.

4. JasonLoon

JasonLoon New Member

yeah i know. but i just got first service for beemer and the workshop dude seems struggle on the drain plug for oil change and i got charged 80 bucks for labour. previously i use crv even i can do oil change myself. if send workshop also only 30 bucks for labour.

5. yapmy

yapmy Member

Hi guys. My E90 325i LCI is almost due for the Gearbox (GM) periodic oil change. Any idea where would be the most reasonable place to send in for the oil change? Location: KL/PJ

6. tenno

tenno Club Guest

perhaps you can go to Autohaus Ampang or Centroy Kajang(e90 port members). Is up to you.

7. Rahulpreet Singh

Rahulpreet Singh New Member

I bought a BMW E90 325i M-sport over a year ago and the car has been doing good, but recently i noticed there is a valve cover gasket leak and that has made me to get on board into performing some necessary maintenance work on my car.

so far i have replaced:
    1) FRT and REAR brake disk and brake pads
    2) brake fluid flush
    3) rear suspension ( with all the other mounting and assembly parts

This weekend:

1) valve cover gasket ( quote :RM 380 Brand : Victor Reinz )
    2) spark plugs replacement. ( can someone give me roughly how much should this cost ?)

I am curious to know how much does a steering oil change and ATF oil change cost? and is there any other things that i should be looking out to do as the car is at 160k mileage.

8. yapmy

yapmy Member

Gear oil change is about RM700 to 800 inclusive of labour, oil, gasket and filter. I bought the parts from Bavarian Auto and opted for the original BMW gear oil. How much is the valve cover gasket job? Did you replace the Valvetronic gasket together with the valve cover gasket?

9. Rahulpreet Singh

The valve cover gasket the shop quoted me is RM380 and its inclusive with the Valvetronic gasket. What is your recommended workshop for maintaining one of these cars ? Someone reliable with fair pricing?

#509 Rahulpreet Singh, May 5, 2020
    Last edited: May 5, 2020
  10. yapmy

yapmy Member

I went to Centroy bimmer Kajang to get it done. Alternatively you can also go to Bluegreen Motorwerks at PJ and look for Mike but his shop can get very busy at times.

11. Rahulpreet Singh

Thanks for your advice. So I have been reading a couple of forums, and found out that when you do an ATF oil change for the first time there are some risks involved, it this true? What could possibly go wrong and how much should i budget ? My car is currently at 163k KM and read the original oil only lasts for 100K miles which means 160K km and im 3k over. Should i do the oil change if im on a budget or should i wait awhile longer? i can pay for the service but im afraid of any extra additional cost.

12. gendong

gendong Moderator
    Club Committee

There are specific procedures that needs to be adhered to when doing a tranny oil change like the oil temp reading, the cycle it goes thru etc. An experienced mechanic should know what needs to be done, and when it should be done. Also, during the change, the oil pan also needs to be changed, as the filer is on the pan itself. you should look at the goo that has accumulated over the years of driving. from that also, a good mechanic will be able to tell if ur gb is till good or not. Total cost? approx rm700-900 based on the amount of ATF oil used, including the pan.

So far, my ATF oil change made my gb much more smoother each n every time. Risk? Not sure tho. Some argues that, why do u wanna fix something that is not broken, while another wld argue prevention is better than cure. its up to u.

Just make sure the mech know what to do.

13. Rahulpreet Singh

The car has been maintained only by Bmw Glenmarie and then BMW Ara Damansara no one from BMW has told me about the gearbox oil ( it not like they tell you anything anyways ) other than that when i contacted my mech telling him i wanna do some prevention maintenance he mentioned ATF oil change, Diff oil change, valve cover gasket and valvetronic gasket, im also changing the spark plugs. Im okay with the cost but if the ATF oil change ruins my GB then its gonna be a headache.

14. gendong

gendong Moderator
    Club Committee

Officially, BMW will maintain that their GB is good for a lifetime. Lifetime in BMW terms is normally 5years or 100k km, as after that, they expect u to change cars. So if anything happens, they will change the GB totally, in one big job. Changing ATF oil is very much preventive maintenance, and fresher ATF oils means u may prolong the lifetime of the GB.

If ur not having any issues with the GB now, it shld b safe. If u already are having issues, like GB jerking, gear slipping, late in up-shift etc, it wld b something to look at by these independent mechs.

Rahulpreet Singh likes this.
  15. Rahulpreet Singh

Noted. Will take a look on this closely and aim to change the ATF oil if its safe and recommended upon inspection

16. schwarz

schwarz Club Guest

can we DIY replace brake disc+pad+sensor ourselves? do we need to register to OBC?

17. gendong

gendong Moderator
    Club Committee

Yes you can bro. No need to register through OBC. you can reset the reminders from you meter cluster through the hidden menu or idrive.

18. schwarz

schwarz Club Guest

really? i read somewhere need to tell the system new sensor installed so the mileage will be reset to 35k or something, cant forget where i read it.

19. sk0505

sk0505 New Member

Hi, i know its an old thread, but if you are still active here, i would like to ask how much did your suspension replacement cost.

20. yapmy

yapmy Member

Hi all. I would like to change my E90 LCI 325i M Sport engine spark plugs in my coming service. I would like to upgrade them to Iridium plugs but can someone advice me which model to get? I'm fine with either Bosch, NGK or Denso but I'm not so sure which model to buy. The original BMW ones are Platinum plugs sold by Bavarian Auto.