1. Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

TLC for my neglected '81 320/6, - lots of pics, enjoy...

Discussion in 'E21' started by -fm-, Apr 11, 2011.

1. eau-rouge

eau-rouge Club Guest

i have it..but 13" interested?

2. -fm-

-fm- Club Guest

Hi eau-rouge,
    Might be interested. How much?

3. e21manic

e21manic Club Guest

Hi bro,
    cant wait to see the end result. mine is almost done just left the irritating interior parts which are impossible to find! anyone got a speedometer lying around any where? i broke off the needle for my fuel meter like a hero while cleaning it up.. haiz...
    how about the rest of your car? everything running fine? i found a 320 lying down in maluri.. i need some parts from that but the shop owner dont wanna layan. if got group lets buy the damn car for cheap and stock up on parts. Bomin already clearing stock of all e21 parts and ebay also lesser parts popping up.. gonna be a headache to find anything later..
    cant wait for your pics!!

4. e21manic

e21manic Club Guest

Hi bro, was reading thru your thread again. pretty slow day at work here.. you have come a long way. the end result sure gonna be great!! btw as requested a looooong time a go, a pic of my german biatch..
    View attachment 25167

5. -fm-

-fm- Club Guest

e21manic,
    nice car you got there, looks better than mine. meter? i don't know. I'll try to ask around, pretty difficult to find. Mine is ok except for the trip and odometer which is stuck. Sometimes several appears for sale on ebay. Try browsing separately. If you browse in ebay US, and then browse in ebay UK or Germany, different items appears, not altogether. That was how I bought the side window weatherstrip and also the ignition control box.

Don't worry too much, even for example British bikes produced 50-60 years ago, the owners can get parts :) still running today.
    Colour...I've yet to decide, I'm leaning towards inka, but golfgelb as suggested by Tor is also interesting

6. e21manic

e21manic Club Guest

thanks bro, been a long restoration.
    those two colors look awesome. sure to be a looker when its done. very classic colors. mine in the grant it stated its originally green. budget didnt allow me to do a full body paint job so just touched up the blue i bought it with.
    shall search e bay as you said...
    post up pics bro!!

7. -fm-

-fm- Club Guest

Bro, as it's getting rare, don't use it as your daily driver if possible, have other national/japs daily driver. And spray antirust wax treatment in all nooks and crannies. More pictures please :top: jangan malu malu :)

8. Tor

Tor Club Guest

Careful buying off ebay US. They use MPH. And also different year came with different instrument cluster, and they donĀ“t interchange. What year is yours, E21 Manic? You will find it, but try same year as your own.

9. e21manic

e21manic Club Guest

Hi Tor,
    Thanks for the advice... mine is a '81 model. for now the speedo meter and tacho are all good. but while i was being too much in a hurry to finish detailing it, i broke the fuel meter needle. plus it wasnt really working to begin with. now its just a stub.. both the meter and the sender are screwed. the copper connectors for the meter are broken in so many places and the internal float wires for the sender are snapped. tried soldering them all back but no success. i am lost as to how to find a replacement fuel meter. fuel sender ive found, just waiting for the salary to roll in..
    any idea what other models use the same fuel meter or any idea what other meter i could use? the VDO after markets ones look pretty stock but its pretty pricey as well... damn.. one after another.

10. -fm-

-fm- Club Guest

e21manic, try join e21.net forum, they may be able to help on parts sourcing. The forum members themselves may have parts to let go.

11. arifazman

arifazman Club Guest

e21manic..try ask mandonna about the speedometer..he got 2 units of e21 speedometer..maybe it is still available..

12. -fm-

-fm- Club Guest

Abit of an update...

Hi guys, it's been quite a while, here's the car with replacement bonnet and mudguards, it (she) will be painted...yes, at last...

Sent to the paint shop Monday 1 Oct. "new" bonnet and mudguards
    [​IMG][/url] DSCF7899 by fmy77, on Flickr[/IMG]

[​IMG][/url] DSCF7900 by fmy77, on Flickr[/IMG]

[​IMG][/url] DSCF7903 by fmy77, on Flickr[/IMG]

The grey paint is zinc primer, CRC Zinc It, I did the rustproofing myself at home
    [​IMG][/url] DSCF7904 by fmy77, on Flickr[/IMG]

Yesterday 6 oct, on going...
    [​IMG][/url] DSCF7905 by fmy77, on Flickr[/IMG]

[​IMG][/url] DSCF7906 by fmy77, on Flickr[/IMG]

[​IMG][/url] DSCF7907 by fmy77, on Flickr[/IMG]

[​IMG][/url] DSCF7908 by fmy77, on Flickr[/IMG]

The undercoat will be sprayed next week, full completion estimated in 2 weeks. What do you think guys? :)

13. e21manic

e21manic Club Guest

Good job!
    looks superb man. always nice to see an E21 coming back to life. i think i need to send mine to your shop la. the workmanship good? my booth floor is crumbling away.. huhuhu..

whats the plan for the interior?

14. -fm-

-fm- Club Guest

Hi e21manic,
    Sure...the workmanship is good :) The interior is still the original blue pvc, just some minor tear. I am not doing anything, just cleaning it.

15. e21manic

e21manic Club Guest

nice.. where is this place you are doing your body work? not too pricey for rust removal i hope...:eek:

16. -fm-

-fm- Club Guest

in muar bro... to what extent is the rust? bad?

17. johnj

johnj Founding Member

wow..cant wait to see this beauty on the road.

18. e21manic

e21manic Club Guest

whoa thats far.. the rust fixes i din on the floor boards are showing signs of failing and a small hole has popped up on the drivers side. and the booth floor needs work on the rear left.. still not falling apart.. hehe.. now just sorting out the little bits and pieces here and there then its as good as done. less and less time these days to do work on it.. haiz.. :rolleyes:

19. -fm-

-fm- Club Guest

Thanks johnj, I hope it will be road ready in a month

If you're going to redo the welding, make sure the rustproofing is done on both sides. Mine was painted on the outside, but left baremetal on the inside.
    That's why I did the Kurust rust killer, then CRC zinc primer paint on both side of the welded sheet metal. In the pictures, the grey spray paint is zinc primer.
    After you completed this, then only apply the underseal tar on the floorboard.

20. wolverine

wolverine Club Guest

Hi fm, it's really exciting looking at your E21 coming back alive...slow but surely...that's the most important point.
    Just a small advice, do not use the crc zinc primer paint on top of rust killers, the rust will reappear under the zinc primer. Seen it happening in our workshop over the years that we have stop using it for a very long time now.
    The zinc primer was to be sprayed on bare metal surfaces before they are welded together...try getting other sealing paints.

Other than that, wonderful job bro. Keep the photos coming :rock: