1. Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

Mix different RON fuel? Any idea?

Discussion in 'General Tech' started by c-square, Sep 10, 2009.

1. c-square

c-square Club Guest

Thanks, Traveller.... That's exactly what I was asking. I am now using RON95 as a base/primary fuel and was thinking of supplementing it with a higher RON fuel (like the RON97) hopefully to achieve a better result. Granted it will not be as good as pouring in RON97 entirely but if it is as simple mixing the RON95 with RON97 to achieve say RON96 (if there is such thing), then maybe it is worthwhile to consider mixing the two fuel to get a higher RON than the 95 albeit paying an average cost of RM1.92/litre (ie assuming 50% ROM95 at RM1.80 and 50% RON97 at RM2.05).

Maybe some technical persons/experts with some experience in the oil refining business can further comment or share their thoughts on this.

2. miki

miki Club Guest

hi guys i fill up my 325 with with RON95 the next day car start jaking and after a wile i cant start my car at all. RON 95 cost me rm 550 to change my petrol pump. Better think twise before make any experimants

3. etquah

etquah New Member

Miki, yours is a E90, what year ? scary......

4. astroboy

astroboy Well-Known Member

That is a cheap fuel pump.. :p

5. saat

saat Club Guest

I filled up my E90 with Shell RON95 and so far OK. I used to use Petronas and no issues.

6. Guna

Guna Club Guest

Bro,with all this uncertainties,just pour Ron97 and drive with a peace of mind la.What would the difference make?25 cents/liter.Don't you think a peace of mind is worth a lot more than that?I know,I know you are probably calculating the long run difference but even that is not worth the headache la.Maybe we could wait a little longer and see what's the story thru the grapevine.In the meantime just stick to Ron 97 la.Just my thoughts man coz I'm not taking the risk for now though.

7. astroboy

Can anyone explain how RON95 or RON96 campur can kill a fuel pump? Tak masuk akal! :stupid:

8. flash

flash Club Guest

Coincidence????

9. QME7555

QME7555 Club Guest

I filled up $30.00 Ron95 on my bimmer and the car sometime jerk when i accelerates. When I refill back to Ron97, it never jerk again. I even did the same on my Harrier and same problem. My friend used the Ron95 on his Vitara, it jerk everytime he accelerate. Still get the reason why the bimmer cant use Ron95 when the refill cap says can use 91-98.

10. BMW9700

BMW9700 Club Guest

as long as u don't mix and drink it there should be no difference....:)

11. buzzlie

buzzlie Club Guest

Bro QME,

Yes, I faced the same problem last week. Jerking and at last cannot start, shopping complex somemore ... can only start after 20 mins of trying. So change back to 97. So far so good.

Astroboy,

Betul ... tak masuk akal. Maybe coincident maybe not. But for the time being, I will let you guys try it out ... am not taking any chance.

12. bmw7833

bmw7833 Club Guest

So far no problem for my e39..

13. etquah

etquah New Member

it is more like the car down shift and slow in pick - up. So it feels like jerking. I experience that too. Where is the power when you need it !!

14. crug75hid

crug75hid Club Guest

Jerking occur only when improper fuel injection. I feel etquah is right.

15. Guna

Guna Club Guest

I can't see the logic behind a fuel pump failing due to change of RON.Not that RON 95 is as thick as grease or something unless of course if the new fuel has some kind of chemicals that messes up the seals in the pump....I still can't see the possibility...nah,I say it's just mere coincidence.your pump was probably on it's way out.

16. astroboy

Aiyaa, Miri people don't drive their car a lot la, not much roads there, most of the time the petrol only evaporate in the tank and refill just once a month.. ya ka?! :D :D And got to carry passport always because can mistakenly end up in Brunei :p

In fact since RON95 is less stable, there's a possibility of air getting into the fueling system after car park for too long due to evaporation, masuk angin. So jerk jerk loo and fuel pump also masuk angin, need bleeding.. got such thing ka?! I have good imagination ya?! :D

17. turbology

turbology Club Guest

How is RON95 less stable ? no such thing leh....
    Unless you are going 1G in corner with less than half tank of gas, is very unlikely the fuel pump will suck in any air.

18. t2ribena

t2ribena Club guest

i have tried RON 95 on the vios, kelisa, e60 N52B25, e87 N46B20 and e39 S62B50 but no such behaviour as you guys mentioned here on the jerk, cannot start, fuel pump kong...hehe

the only diff is the lost of power during hard driving...for cruising no diff...in fact it is quieter and smoother due to the retarded timing...lol

19. astroboy

A fuel that detonate is obviously less stable la.. :p :D And Miri people park their car for days and drive very little. Normal 1 tank fuel can last them 1 month!!

20. t2ribena

t2ribena Club guest

bro...u really make my kapla pusing la...u say ron 95 less stable coz it detonates...so ron 97 is more stable right? does this means it does not detonates?:eek: so how the engine runs la on ron 97? black magic? [​IMG]