1. Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

E39 523i 1997 model common problems owners faced

Discussion in 'E39' started by jchristanthio, Dec 1, 2012.

1. jchristanthio

jchristanthio Club Guest

Kindly share the top 3 common problems faced. Appreciate it. Thank you.

2. moots

moots Club Guest

nah.....google is your best friend.....

The most common problems to check and/or repair in the E39 appear to be (1) (2):
    1. - COOLING SYSTEM CATASTROPHICALLY FAILS: brittle plastic expansion tank, radiator, & thermostat housings that blow up due to faulty plastic mostly at the upper hose neck and also faulty water pumps, hoses, and fan clutches (1) that send whirling blades through the hood and quarter panels (1) & autopsy here (1)
    2. - I6 VANOS SEALS DETERIORATE: they're made out of the wrong materials so that they harden and leak over time causing degraded performance (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) & how VANOS works (1) (2) (3) & what your options are (1) and vanos application table (1)
    3. - V8 VALLEY PAN GASKETS LEAK: poorly designed V8 valley pan gaskets that leak coolant (1) (2) (3)
    4. - CLUSTER PIXELS FAIL LINE BY LINE: press-fit pink connection tape lifts up over time on the instrument cluster causing dead pixels (1) [cluster removal instructions (1) (2)]
    5. - MID PIXELS SLOWLY DIE: press-fit pink connection tape lifts up over time on MID causing dead pixels (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) [MID removal instructions (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7)] [MID pixel test sequence (1) ]
    6. - HEADLIGHT ADJUSTERS CRUMBLE: brittle PBT plastic headlight adjusters that simply crumble over time causing the lights to point downward (0) (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) & a comprehensive list of all your available options, by price (1)
    7. - FAN CONTROL GOES HAYWIRE: poorly ventilated final stage resistur/final stage unit (FSR/FSU) modules that are practically sure to go haywire due to poor heat-sink design (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) ... Autopsy (1) (2) often causing the battery to drain overnight (1) (2) (3)
    8. - CCV FAILS: crankcase ventilation valve diaphragm tears, freezes (1), &/or clogs (1), necessitating CCV replacement (M54,M54,M54) (M52,M52) (M52TU) (M62,M62) ('99 528i) ('98 528i); raising pressures, often causing the OFH oil filter housing to leak (1) (2) (3); frequently blowing the VCG valve cover gasket (1); and sometimes the head gasket (1) (2); often causing vacuum leaks (1) (2) (3)
    9. - AMBER ABS/DSC/BRAKE LIGHTS: tack-welded steel resistance-welded Bosch 5.x ABS control module power wires that break off their gold contact because of being too close to engine heat and vibration (1) ... Abs control module autopsy (1) (2) (3) (4) ... and explanations by 540iman as to why the fancy diagnostic tools fail (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) & accessing the wheel speed sensor at the wheel (1)
    10. - REAR DOOR VAPOR BARRIER FAILS CAUSING WATER PUDDLES: improper adhesive used on rear door vapor barrier seals that allow rain water to fill the rear footwell (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) & sizes for the adhesive (1)
    11. - FRONT SHOCKS FAIL PREMATURELY VIOLENT SHUDDER WHILE BRAKING: OEM Sachs shocks fail causing violent shudder upon front-wheel braking on bumps (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6)
    12. - POWER WINDOWS SUDDENLY STOP WORKING: low-quality unreliable window regulator mechanisms (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) and a repair kit (1) (2) and for other models (1) (2) (3) (4)
    13. - TRUNK WIRING FRAYS ATROCIOUSLY: a badly designed trunk loom wiring harness certain to chafe causing all sorts of light and fuse blowing and locking problems (1) (2) & opening the trunk with the key when the car battery is dead (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6)
    14. - THRUST-ARM BUSHINGS TEAR: fluid-filled thrust arm bushings that crack and tear causing vibrations at speed (0) (1) (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8)
    15. - IGNITION SWITCH FAILS: ignition switch that fails causing electrical problems (0) (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11)
    16. - AMBIENT TEMPERATURE SENSOR BREAKS OFF: low mounted ambient temperature sensors in the passenger side front wheel well cover is practically designed to be ripped off on a parking curb (1) (2) (3) (4) (5)
    17. - SEAT & STEERING WHEEL CONTROLLER BREAK OFF: seat covers that don't protect switches for both the steering wheel tilt & driver's seat control (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8)
    18. - SEAT CABLES BREAK: seat cables that fall out causing seat twist (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) & accidental airbag light fix (1) (2)
    19. - WINDSHIELD WASHER LEAKS: windshield reservoirs prone to leaking due to an ill-fitting pump o-ring gasket (1) (2) or to hose disintegration (1) (2) or to leaks in the main reservoir (1) (2) (3) or leaks in the intensive wash system (1) (2) or the pump itself goes bad (1) (2) & debugging hints (1) & adjusting nozzles after repair (1) & windshield washer fluid (1) and intensive cleaning system fluid (1)
    20. - POWER STEERING RESERVOIR CAP LEAKS OILY MIST: constantly wet power steering reservoirs due to poor O-ring design (1) (2)
    21. - POWER STEERING HOSE DRIPS ATF ONTO ALTERNATOR: power steering hose clamps practically guaranteed to leak (1) (2)
    22. - ALTERNATOR FAILS PREMATURELY: most say this premature failure is due to power steering leaks just above it so do a rebuild BEFORE your alternator fails catastrophically on you (1) (2) & how to prevent leaves in your alternator air-intake duct (1) (2)
    23. - WINDSHIELD MOLDING CRUMBLES: heat labile rubber windshield & back window molding that crumbles in three years due to poor choice of recycled materials (1) (2)
    24. - JACK PADS FALL OFF: plastic jack pads that fall off the underside of the frame due to poor latch design causing jack failures & wind noise (1) (2) (3) & good jack stands (1)
    25. - AIR CONDITIONING ODORS: poorly designed cabin-filter housing drain hoses to clog which leaves causing gym-sock smells from the AC (1) (2) (3)
    26. - BMW ROUNDEL PAINT CHIPS AWAY: cheaply painted BMW emblem roundels that wash away in the car wash over time (1)
    27. - CUPHOLDERS BREAK EASILY: front and rear (nearly useless) cupholder replacement strategies (1)
    28. - WOOD TRIM CRACKS SPONTANEOUSLY: wood trim whose varnish cracks and whose cd cover doors rattle (1) (2) (3)
    29. - PLASTIC VENT TRIM CRACKS SPONTANEOUSLY: plastic trim around the air vents which invariably crack at the corners (1) (2) (3)
    30. - SAP CLOGS or FREEZES (1): the secondary air pump (SAP) valve (aka diverter valve) clogs, taking out the SAS (1) (2) (3)(4) (5) (6) (7)
    31. - MAF CLOGS: the mass air flow sensor (MAF) and idle control valve (ICV) require periodic cleaning (1) (2)
    32. - DISA VALVE FLAP BREAKS: the DISA valve flap breaks, sometimes with parts sucked into the intake manifold (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) & recommended parts (1) (2) & brand selection (1)
    33. DOOR EDGE PROTECTION MOLDING SEALS neoprene rubber crum

slyder, Volvos525i and siva@e60 like this.
  3. bmw7833

bmw7833 Club Guest

Hahahh..nice one moot. :top:

4. JFT63

JFT63 Well-Known Member

Thanks moot........should be a STICKY thread IMO....

5. wuzzles

wuzzles Club Guest

legandary bluebee's special - thanks moots!

6. tweiboon

tweiboon Club Guest

moots........u suppose to work in BMW !!!!!! U are the man !!!!

7. Andy Yow

Andy Yow Club Guest

I drive a 2001 model. The interior deserves to be refreshed.

If someone may be so kind to recommend a shop. :)

Here are my intentions.

1) Change wood panels to silver / sporty look.
    2) The roof fittings are torn and must be replaced.
    3) The leather strappings on door handles to be changed.
    4) Floor mats.

8. vixxx

vixxx Official Member

9. cyne

cyne Club Guest

Hi, I believe some or most of you guys would have some window "creaks" sounds from your door panels when going uneven roads or going through humps. I found this article quite useful. And I did an experiment to my door. It actually works ! it reduce my creaks almost to almost 80% now ! Those creaks are those that reduce when you pull down your window just a tad bit. maybe 1/16 of an mm.

Here's the link of the solution.

http://www.540i6.com/doorseals.html

And here's what I used.

https://malaysia.rs-online.com/web/p/cloth-tapes/7622180/

Hope this helps some people here that are annoyed with those sounds.

10. alantiong

alantiong Club Guest

I have done almost all in moots list.. And i can assure its not for the faint hearted.. About 25k and lots of grievances. But when all done... E39 remains as one of my most memorable drives..

11. pejai

pejai New Member

hi vixxx....im a newbie here.....is there any e39 tt group that i can join?im from shah alam area..... thank you

12. zulcarn9e

zulcarn9e Club Guest

hi all,i just had fuel gauge problem recently..sometimes its working and sometimes not ..any idea bout it?
    btw mine is 523i year 1997 model...2.5 single vanos.

MikeL likes this.
  13. haywire

haywire Official Member

most likely your fuel sender/float under the rear seats are towards their end of life. There are two of those, get it checked.

14. haywire

haywire Official Member

Hi bro, we mostly spend out time in gombak area, but tomorrow night there will be an Official TT session in A&W in PJ. Check the related thread or see it on the club's FB page.

15. DR78

DR78 Club Guest

Just want to share my version of how to replace the cup holder the correct way. Firstly let the cupholder be in open position. Push it back in a little and u will notice 2 screws there which u need to remove. But wait. At the half open position try to find a way and fit ur little fingers into the cupholder to reach to the back of the asc module and just pop it out from both end. Unplug the ASC module. Now u got good access. Remove that 2 screw u saw earlier. From the space above the cupholder where the asc thingy was, push the upper part of cupholder downwards (inside the console) with 1 hand while pulling the holder it outwards (the outside part) with the other hand. The upper part of the cupholder (the inside part) always gets hooked to the centre metal surround so by doing so u wont break anything.

16. DR78

DR78 Club Guest

Just to share my weekend experience. Basically never take things lightly.

For past week my car had some whistling belt sound especially when accelerating from stop position. One fine day while driving fast, battery light came on and soon followed by total loss of power steering. In view that I was late for golf, I continued. Suddenly saw temperature sky rocketed when reach golf course. stopped my car within 2 minutes. Found out my radiator plastic part cracked and the fan belt that runs the alternator, water pump etc putus. the belt actually snapped and whacked the radiator causing the plastic part of the radiator to crack :(
    End up changing new radiator, new belts, water pump, tensioner and all the puleys.
    Now car running like new.

Lesson to be learn, never ignore funny sounds when it comes to BMW.

antiquer likes this.
  17. moots

moots Club Guest

he he....bro...this applies to ALL cars coz eventually the funny sound doesn't seem funny anymore when the total bill is presented...

the battery light is a direct indication of an alternator failing to charge the batt and the power steering pump loss is a confirmation of a failed belt as one belt turns all 3 components including the water pump.I wud watch the temp indicator and also monitor the coolant level in the following 1 week.These engines hate overtemps.....

Volvos525i and antiquer like this.
  18. DR78

DR78 Club Guest

Thanks moots. I will. The mechanic did a pressure test for me that day and was ok. Touch wood so far car running better than before after changing all the belts, bearings, tensioner and puley.

19. DR78

DR78 Club Guest

BTW bro Moots, how much coolant is recommended to be added in the radiator. I just bought 1 bottle 1.5L ori BMW coolant from stuggart. The rest I put reverse osmosis filtered water. Is it enuf?

20. moots

moots Club Guest

I use 1 botoi only thus far.Me thinks you don't need more as recommended by the manufacturer as they are required more as an anti freeze....
    Reverse osmosis filtered water.....wow...can I have some...he he....i use tap water using the garden hose.