1. Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

E34 M50b25 valve cover gasket replacement

Discussion in 'E34' started by anakin, Oct 7, 2014.

1. anakin

anakin Official Member

I would like to DIY it, one question regarding rtv sealant, how much to put?both side of the gasket?put along the gasket or certain place?
    Hope someone will chime in..thanks!

2. anakin

anakin Official Member

As expected...no one respons.. :) nevermind I'll continue..
    Open the valve cover and found out that the inner side of the valve cover's paint has already peel off..what should I do? will the debris enter the engine? According to Albert, it will not harm the engine as long as we regularly change the engine oil & filter...or should I find a new valve cover?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. anakin

anakin Official Member

The insider...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. moots

moots Club Guest

wah bro....dah tambah e34 pulak.....good lah you.

i would clean the mess by using a scraper and buang the flakes off as much as possible and then rinse them off with water.better if you could get a paint stripper....sumer keluar....can find the paint stripper kat hardware shop.but be sure it is suitable for the valve cover....

5. anakin

anakin Official Member

Aha...the 'flakes' are the correct word....thanks Moots...comes to my mind to do sand blast...but where?Tried using scrapper, but not much coming out...will try the paint stripper and see...

6. moots

moots Club Guest

aisey....dah nengok gambar,lupa plak nak comment yang ni....small dabs of sealant is only required a 6 locations....eh wait a minute.this engine no vanos.so 4 locations...at the rear section at the half moon where the angle is acute.apply sealant on the head,not the gasket.small dabs only plse....

7. anakin

anakin Official Member

4 locations?..half moon 2, the other 2?.."sealant on the head, not the gasket" mean no sealant on the valve cover, right?just put small dabs on the head(half moon), and not along the head?.....
    1- put small dabs of sealant on the head at 4 spot..half moon..
    2- put the gasket on..
    3- put the valve cover on top of the gasket...no sealant right?
    what about the plug hole? no need sealant?...when I opened the valve cover, there are sealant on every plug hole and all along the valve cover...

Thanks again bro..you are my savior! :58: :smile:

8. anakin

anakin Official Member

Seen from the pictures, the previous mechanic put sealant on the gasket, not the head...

9. moots

moots Club Guest

yes bro...sealant only on the areas i mentioned and no where else....

however on my m52 and m54 i offer the gasket onto the valve cover coz there are grooves or longkang on it to put the gasket securely before putting the valve cover onto the head.But your gambar,the gasket look like flat on both sides.maybe the m50 is like that and if that is the case you offer the gasket onto the cylinder head lah...

The mechanics use sealant to postively ensure there are no leaks so customers don't have to come back and they don't have to re-do coz time is money.Especially so for older cars where the valve cover may have distorted over the years and sealing may not be as good by just fitting the gasket alone.

Macam kalau tukar tayar lah.The mechs will hantam the wheel nuts with an air gun to avoid liability so much so that when a roadside puncture happens kita sendiri pon x boleh remove the nuts with the manufacturer supplied wrench. What I do is I tell the mechs that I will tighten the wheel nuts using the cross bar wrench.

These nuts require 70 ft lbs torque ajer.Just tighten criss cross and ketat secukup rasa using the arms.Don't have to put the whole body weight or stand on the wrench.Never had a wheel run away from me while driving yet......

antiquer likes this.
  10. anakin

anakin Official Member

Now I get you...no wonder in the you tube they don't put sealant other than the places you'd mention...even a Taiwanese mech in you tube did'nt put any sealant at all!..
    okey, since this is a DIY, so I don't have to border the mech about having a leakage after replacing new valve cover..I'd like to try your method...If there is a leakage later, can I put a rtv sealant and reuse back the gasket? Or I have to buy a new set?

11. moots

moots Club Guest

boleh re-use bro....

12. anakin

anakin Official Member

Ok...btw, saw your NBQ 9796 yesterday..she should be mine, dah bukan rezeki....how lucky he is to heritage your car, and with the price he paid...

moots likes this.
  13. maxion89

maxion89 Club Guest

hi anakin... do you replace gasket on the spark plug area or also at the valve cover area? since i dont see a new gasket on your picture.. only notice the spark plug area are new gasket.. cheers!

14. anakin

anakin Official Member

Hi Max...long time no update from you..hows life? btw i did replace the spark plugs seal gasket, it comes with the set,but the rubber gasket/bush for the valve cover nuts have to buy separately, 15 of them..
    Anyhow, when I left my car for service, my mechanic put back the sealant all over the gasket, thinking that I've not done it properly....gone case laa.. :)