1. Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

Conversion price for E30

Discussion in 'E30' started by Loki, Nov 17, 2015.

1. Loki

Loki Club Guest

Hi Sifus,

This is my first post in this forum since joining back in 2007. After years of searching for an E30, i finally bought myself a 1984 320i coupe manual without an engine. So now i am currently looking for an engine for my E30. What would be the price difference between putting in a M20b25 and M50b25 or even M52b28? I guess the cheapest would be to put in an M20 since its plug and play but my car is missing a lot of things (engine, gearbox, prop shaft, gear console, handbrake console, etc). If anyone can give me a rough estimation on the conversion price or even point me to a good garage for the conversion would be helpful.

Wralport likes this.
  2. EEEE30

EEEE30 Club Guest

So you have rolling shell. That's great. It is like a blank canvas. Sky is the limit when it comes to motor swaps into e30s. However, it all depends on your budget (like everything else)
    May I ask what is the budget that you have for this project?

3. Loki

Loki Club Guest

For now i do not have a specific budget but i like to go for the cheapest option to get the car running first so i can register the car with JPJ and do a ownership transfer. I am just curious to know the price difference between installing an M20 and M5X.

4. bmw7833

bmw7833 Club Guest

Wah, really cannot believe you keep quiet for 8 years and only first post today. Salute!

unstopables_7 likes this.
  5. Loki

Loki Club Guest

Lol.....i never posted anything before but have been reading people's restoration project which is very inspiring. By the way bmw7833, do you own a garage in TTDI? Saw a seller in mudah with the name 8833 Autoparts and i was wondering if that is you.

6. bmw7833

bmw7833 Club Guest

Definitely not me bro..

7. XXX8315

XXX8315 New Member

keano is selling m50... may asked him

8. EEEE30

EEEE30 Club Guest

[SIZE=8.5pt]Loki,[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=8.5pt]If you want to keep the cost to minimal then take the m50 path. You can consider the non-Vanos m50 so the swap would be even easier. This swap requires the least amount of items compare to other motors.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=8.5pt]Since you can use the Getrag 260 or the ZF , you can source a prop shaft from a m20 manual e30 (this is of course assuming that you want to have a manual car)[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=8.5pt]You can even use e30 diff. Below is the some of the main items that (I can think of ) you will need for this swap.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=8.5pt]1. [/SIZE][SIZE=8.5pt]M50 (non-vanos)[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=8.5pt]2. [/SIZE][SIZE=8.5pt]E34 oil pan[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=8.5pt]3. [/SIZE][SIZE=8.5pt]E34 oil pick up[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=8.5pt]4. [/SIZE][SIZE=8.5pt]E34 throttle cable[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=8.5pt]5. [/SIZE][SIZE=8.5pt]M50 radiator hoses[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=8.5pt]6. [/SIZE][SIZE=8.5pt]OBD1 wire harness[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=8.5pt]7. [/SIZE][SIZE=8.5pt]BOSCH 413 (red label) DME (do not get the silver color)[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=8.5pt]8. [/SIZE][SIZE=8.5pt]E36 motor mounts[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=8.5pt]You said you bought your e30 without a motor in it, does your e30 has other parts such as tranny, diff, wire harness?[/SIZE]

[SIZE=8.5pt]Sorry I can not give you an exact figure or a ball park figure on how much the swap will cost, but I can point you the right direction.[/SIZE]

myezxs and XXX8315 like this.
  9. Loki

Loki Club Guest

Nope. No motor, no transmission or harness. I know the list of parts needed for the m50 conversion but is it easily sourced here? Like the red label 413? I know Jason is selling the e34 pan n pick up

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk

10. EEEE30

EEEE30 Club Guest

Finding the correct ECU is not a issue but getting the wire harness done properly will be a bit difficult task here.
    Good to hear that you have the list of parts.

11. Loki

Loki Club Guest

Found an m20 with manual gearbox to put in my car. Now I need to look for a good installer. Anyone can recommend a good garage with reasonable price.

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Tapatalk

12. anakin

anakin Official Member

Loki...why M20? plonk in M50 la..much newer..good garage..banyak...reasonable price...ermm payah.. :)

13. Loki

Loki Club Guest

Can recommend me some good garage with reasonable price for install? Most of the garage I asked don't do m50. Plus expensive. I just want the car to run for now. I'll probably look into m52 later on.

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Tapatalk

14. anakin

anakin Official Member

Loki..reasonable price is subjective...reasonable for others may not so reasonable for you & me... :) You may try Raymond of Zeurosense Cheras..hes doing a lot of this kind of conversion..(regular mechanic only do p&p conversion)..or you can go to Mazlan of HM motorspot..in Cheras Perdana..
    Go visit and have a talk with them...I think you need to prepare NOT LESS than 10k...

15. EEEE30

EEEE30 Club Guest

I have done my S52--->E30 conversion at Optimum two year ago.I sourced my own parts though.

16. Loki

Loki Club Guest

Did you ship the S52 in yourself from the US? Was it difficult to source all the bits for the build?

17. EEEE30

EEEE30 Club Guest

Yes, I did. I shipped the motor, and tranny before I got into the KL bound flight. The rest of the items like OBD1 wireharness, I sourced through my buddies over there while I am in KL.
    Only part I could not find here in Malaysia was the drive shaft which I had to order from Germany, brand new.