1. Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

E90 320D in 2019?

Discussion in 'E90, E91, E92, E93' started by timmy93, Feb 28, 2019.

Tags:
  1. timmy93

timmy93 New Member

Hi guys, I'm 25 and looking for a car. Been a car geek since I was a young kid and when the E90's came out my dream was to own one in the future. My budget currently allows to comfortably purchase a E90 320d. Read a lot on forums and reviews that say the 320d is quite reliable and maintenance isn't that bad but most of the posts are few years back. Everyone I ask that doesn't own a BMW says its crazy to buy an old BMW, but most people in this forum says otherwise. So my question is, with the current market price below 50k, is the 320d still a reliable option? Let's say a 2011 model to drive for another maybe 5 years. What would the cost of running it yearly be without anything breaking down? Really want to own a BMW, or should I go up a little and look towards the E90 325i, 323i's? Thanks!

2. gendong

gendong Moderator
    Club Committee

As far as i know, and based on some members here, the e90 320d is one reliable ride. Few had issues with their oilburner! But do bear in mind that normal maintenance due apply, and as its been more than 5 yrs, u'd hv some wear n tear replacements to be made.

And yes, it is a reliable option. Opt for the newer N47 engine that produces 184hp (approx, as some say its 181hp). Normal oil service for an e90, approx. rm400-500 (or lesser), dependent on which oil u use. Set aside 20% of ur purchase price for the wear n tear replacements. Be on the look out for pulleys n mountings. Higher torque mean more vibration.

All the best on ur search bro!

timmy93 likes this.
  3. alantiong

alantiong Club Guest

Been a while dibce I contributed... But the diesel version... Is a gem... All my car's now are diesel!!

Chee Huat and JFT63 like this.
  4. Chee Huat

Chee Huat Club Guest

Dear Timmy,
    I wish your dream come true like mine.
    In 2003 I help up my girl friend in her assignment: Industrial Design-Study about BMW 3 series. (E46 3 Series)
    When you know more about the BMW then you will love more about this Bayeriche Motoren Worke.

At that time I have a dream: One day I am going to own a 3 series but I also figure out that maybe I need more then 15 years to make myself comfortly own a 3 er.

But some times the will power really can make the miracle.
    I work extremely hard to fullfill my dream.

In 2012, I've already own a 3 series, and it is the lovely 320d MSport (E90)

2 months ago I just got my X5 40e,

About the 320d?

Its' nick name is Silver Hawk, that mighty lovely beast is still with me for my Sunday blast.

No regret after nearly 7 years of owning the Silver Hawk, in fact I enjoy every moments of sitting behind it's wheel,
    Every time I will widely smile when the Silver Hawk pamper me above 200km/h effortlessly.

About the maintenance?
    Just follow the On Board Computer suggestion for the oil change and don't pandai-pandai add in any engine oil before the interval

About the fuel economy?
    From Klang Valley go to JB and come back just need 1/2 tank of fuel (Full tank is 60 liters)

For every full tank you can easily get more than 700km of mileage.

For you info, I have extremely high mileage, my Silver Hawk now is about to clock 250,000 km.

So If I can use my real world example to show you how good the 320d E90 have been built,

What do you still need to consider before you decided to own it?

IMAG0397 (1024x768).jpg

Ezra Redza, gendong and timmy93 like this.
  5. timmy93

timmy93 New Member

Wow brilliant. Thanks for your reply! Now I am pretty certain I will find one 320d to purchase already seeing that really most people say it is very reliable. Knowing that you have reached 250,000km without issues is really amazing! Only thing I fear is the cost of repairs, and the limited choices of secondhand models actually. Like Carlist and Mudah has so few options makes me wonder why aren't many people selling it. Maybe it's just so good people not willing to let go for the current market price.

6. Chee Huat

Chee Huat Club Guest

You are right,
    the E90 320d is soo good that no body willing to let go.

I am one among the lover of 320d.

7 years ago when I start hunting for the 320d, My sales adviser from Auto Bavaria (He is now senior management) already told me 320d is a good car that you hardly find it in the 2nd hand car market because very seldom people want to sell it.

From this forum (BMW Club Malaysia) I've read one quote from a 320d owner: I wouldn't sell my 320d, I will continue to drive it until become a scrap metal!

RizkAlex likes this.
  7. timmy93

timmy93 New Member

Thank you so much sir, I have few other questions. Can you please check your fb messages :D I think easier for us to communicate there if you don't mind! Cheers!

8. Chee Huat

Chee Huat Club Guest

Hi Timmy,
    I still don't see any message from you in the FB. Have you really sent?

9. Ezra Redza

Ezra Redza New Member

Hi. Here is my ride. Just one thing I want to say.. BUY! You will love the car, take good care of it especially engine oil, transmission oil and use original BMW coolant. It’s a damn fantastic car.

Attached Files:

gendong likes this.
  10. Alfred Yong

Alfred Yong New Member

I wanna buy one 320D 2011 but i couldn't find one! No body willing to sell the car to me.

11. gendong

gendong Moderator
    Club Committee

The owners love them to bits bro

12. tidusjc89

tidusjc89 New Member

Hey I created this account so that I can convince you to buy if you manage to find this rare gem, I am a proud owner of a 2010 320D M sport LCI.

doing 142000km now, bought in 2016 for RM80k at mileage of 47000km with full ori factory service record which was a steal. cost of maintenance is not that expensive
    every time spend RM400-500 changing 5w30 (yes I am a OCD, following CBS recommendation of every 14000-15000km)

usual wear and tear part changes: both control arm, brake disc rotor,brake pad, left front wheel mounting, some other small part
    part changes due to personal preference: absorber - was enjoying the M sport suspension when I started driving it myself,
    later family and kids couldn't tolerate the stiff suspension, change to non M-sport OEM shocks and spring (SACH)

unexpected part needed repair:
    crank pulley (snapped off, replace with new belt - RM 900+)
    ECU repair (probably spoiled after water damage from flood - cost RM 3000 )
    headlight control switch (recently broken - cost RM800 to replace)

how is it like to drive?

I never know driving a car can be so enjoyable until I drive this diesel beast, the torque that throw you back when u floor the pedal,
    easily overtaking any car on the highway (now I know why those Hilux and Triton can overtakes so damn fast)
    driving 180km/Hour on highway feel like a breeze (was with my M sport suspension, not dare with the non M sport, it does feel abit more wobbly, but I am still confident to corner at high speed
    with non M sport shock, the tyre still feels like it sticks to the ground all the time with almost zero body rolling, I think BMW is so good with suspension U don't actually need the M-sport one.

fuel consumption?
    Just unbeatable - managing 14-15km/L on mixed city and highway drive

how solid it is?
    it's built like a tank, I had a Toyota camry rear ended me, his whole front spoiler came off,
    my rear spoiler just had a small dent with scratch paint- I don't even ask for compensation
    but because his car looks much worst.

I will probably keep the car until the engine expires eventually (in another 10-20 years or never will ?)
    my uworkshop mechanic actually offer me RM35k - 40k to buy over, he couldn't resist it after he drove it the first time)

Attached Files:

#12 tidusjc89, Jan 16, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2022
  13. yapmy

yapmy Member

Great to know. Never tried a diesel variant before. Not to mention the model still looks good until today (for the LCI version).

14. thashna7

thashna7 Club Guest

Dear bmw lover ,im plant to buy 2011 320d msport . the car mileage is high almost 200k also this is first time im plant to by diesel car and before i been use 325i msports 2011. pls advise .buying price 42000k.

15. timmy93

timmy93 New Member

Wow fantastic reply. I actually for some reason did not manage to proceed to buying the 320d but now i will getting one within the next month or so. Looking at 2 this weekend. A lot of people has assured this is a tank of a car and i hope i wont be making a financial mistake haha

16. tidusjc89

tidusjc89 New Member

Yeah but always remember BMW repair definitely cost more than Japanese, need to have that mindset...otherwise you will have made a mistake
    the charming things about BMW is once you fall in love driving it, you will spend good bucks to maintain it properly!

As I am moving abroad, I was looking to sell it at third hand market....during CNY my dad pinjam my car to do some errand..
    he came back telling me don't sell it to dealer, sell to me instead, he like driving it so much.. probably after I put on a new pair of Michelin Pilot Sport 4. He's planning to sell his Honda Accord and buy over my car. Good luck on your purchase

17. timmy93

timmy93 New Member

Well, what seem like a 25 yr old kid dream has became a reality when I turned 29. Finally got my 2011 E90 320D in March 2022. Got it for a price of RM48K, Milleage 224k km. Quite high mileage but I got this from a car enthusiast that took superb care of the car. Every single repair or maintenance he did he recorded it down and basically everything major has been changed including a RM8K gearbox rebuild. So far I have gone through 2 service with this car, each being RM380, changing it at 7000km intervals. 15k km ran in this beast and I am loving every second of it. Replaced new rotors, new tires and new battery since I got it and everything is working fine since. Car has been mapped by Y3 so it's producing 200/440nm, acceleration is quite thrilling but comes with a cost of black smoke. Only con is because of the black smoke, my back bumper gets dirty often and need to do weekly washing haha. Overall love this car so much and absolutely no regret whatsoever.

29B512A9-971D-4096-9299-1E3B9CAAEACF.jpeg

18. gendong

gendong Moderator
    Club Committee

Congrats bro! May she serve you well.