8 replies to this topic

#1 grandis

grandis

Club Guest

• Club Guest
  • 45 posts

Posted 12 April 2018 - 12:25 PM

Year 2014 - Bought recond Japan 3.0 F10

Year 2015 - Engine Control Unit (ECU) faulty.  Have to replaced new ECU cost me a BOMB (RM 10K++)!

Year 2018 (now) - same ECU Faulty again!

Feedback saying this model ECU faulty was common because it located on top of Engine due to heat!

Such a shocking horror story if this is true.

Any F10 Sifu here what is your thought on this? or any of you have been thru this horror experience before.

New Microsoft PowerPoint 97-2003 Presentation.jpg

Edited by grandis, 12 April 2018 - 12:31 PM.

#2 gendong

gendong

Committee

• Committee
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 02:10 AM

Hey bro,

How come your ECU is located on top of the intake manifold? My knowledge is pretty limited, but most of the time, the ECU is tucked under the manifold.

Yeah, its quite a discussion with enthusiast alike when it comes to the placement of the ECU. While it may work for colder climate, guess the heat generated from warmer climate wld hv an effect to the ECU in the long run. Previous generation models, the ECU is placed way up near the bottom of the windscreen (this place was ditched as it was prone to water damage)

Yes, i had changed my ECU last December, but it was due to a current backflow from the valtronic motor directly into the ECU, which fried it (heck!! even the mech cldnt explain how that happened). New ECU (blank) is approx. RM8k++, additional rm1k++ for programming etc. A used ECU wld set u back arnd rm6k++.

'04 E46 N42B20 | Style 135 Msport rims | Bilstein B12 with Eibach Pro-kit | Eibach ARB | K&N air filter | Dynavin head unit - *in memories*
'10 F10 N55B30 | M Sport | Style 351M rims |

#3 grandis

grandis

Club Guest

• Club Guest
  • 45 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 09:08 AM

Hey bro,

How come your ECU is located on top of the intake manifold? My knowledge is pretty limited, but most of the time, the ECU is tucked under the manifold.

Yeah, its quite a discussion with enthusiast alike when it comes to the placement of the ECU. While it may work for colder climate, guess the heat generated from warmer climate wld hv an effect to the ECU in the long run. Previous generation models, the ECU is placed way up near the bottom of the windscreen (this place was ditched as it was prone to water damage)

Yes, i had changed my ECU last December, but it was due to a current backflow from the valtronic motor directly into the ECU, which fried it (heck!! even the mech cldnt explain how that happened). New ECU (blank) is approx. RM8k++, additional rm1k++ for programming etc. A used ECU wld set u back arnd rm6k++.

Thanks sifu Gendong!

Not too sure about the standard ECU location for year 2010 F10 3.0 model, if it is true (on top of the intake manifold), then i can say bye bye to my UDM already. Unless some greater sifu here can helps with some permanent solution (Thank you 1st!). 

Else i don't want to live with my horror nightmare dream out of this;  knowing every 2 years the ECU will  come calling me for $$$!

#4 gendong

gendong

Committee

• Committee
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 11:15 AM

Thanks sifu Gendong!

Not too sure about the standard ECU location for year 2010 F10 3.0 model, if it is true (on top of the intake manifold), then i can say bye bye to my UDM already. Unless some greater sifu here can helps with some permanent solution (Thank you 1st!).

Else i don't want to live with my horror nightmare dream out of this; knowing every 2 years the ECU will come calling me for $$$!

Bro, PM me ur Vehicle Identification Number (VIN). It will tell u ur engine type (N53 or N54, but best bet urs is N53). We can work out a solution fm there. I did thought of putting a heatsink or wrapping it in foil, but hvnt came across anyone who did it. Hence cant guarantee a pksitive outcome.

Hold on. What was the error code that u got that pointed at the ECU? We could start here too

'04 E46 N42B20 | Style 135 Msport rims | Bilstein B12 with Eibach Pro-kit | Eibach ARB | K&N air filter | Dynavin head unit - *in memories*

#5 gendong

gendong

Committee

• Committee
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 11:17 AM

Check up here:
Realoem.com
Bmwvin.com

#6 grandis

grandis

Club Guest

• Club Guest
  • 45 posts

Posted 14 April 2018 - 07:48 AM

Bro, PM me ur Vehicle Identification Number (VIN). It will tell u ur engine type (N53 or N54, but best bet urs is N53). We can work out a solution fm there. I did thought of putting a heatsink or wrapping it in foil, but hvnt came across anyone who did it. Hence cant guarantee a pksitive outcome.

Hold on. What was the error code that u got that pointed at the ECU? We could start here too

The VIN no and details PM you d. My engine type is N52T

There is no error code show ECU problem for both incidents...They suspect only after did many checking on other possible parts but still couldn't solve it.

1st Incident only show Engine Oil Reading Level Measurement unavailable, 2nd incident Car Jerking when standstill (No error code show)

At the moment, i'm gonna live with it as its still can drive but just couldn't bear to standstill my UDM at Traffic Light and Traffic Jam. Terrible Feel!

#7 gendong

gendong

Committee

• Committee
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 14 April 2018 - 11:31 AM

When it happened to me, my engine felt like it was misfiring, jerking n felt very rough, before dying on me. Once restarted after arnd 5-10mis break, 'transmission error' came out, practically putting the car into limp mode. So had to limp to the workshop. upon checking, a whole bunch of error codes came up. after diagnosing using the BMW software the mech is using, pointed to the ECU.

btw, where r u based bro?

#8 grandis

grandis

Club Guest

• Club Guest
  • 45 posts

Posted 15 April 2018 - 02:54 AM

When it happened to me, my engine felt like it was misfiring, jerking n felt very rough, before dying on me. Once restarted after arnd 5-10mis break, 'transmission error' came out, practically putting the car into limp mode. So had to limp to the workshop. upon checking, a whole bunch of error codes came up. after diagnosing using the BMW software the mech is using, pointed to the ECU.

btw, where r u based bro?

As saying go - Preventive better than cure. Have to prevent it happen again instead of cure the ECU . 

Kepong KL

#9 gendong

gendong

Committee

• Committee
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 03:53 AM

agreed bro. Prevention is much better than cure.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ECU

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users