Photo
- - - - -

E46 Automatic Transmission Fluid Reference and Procedures (ZF/GM)

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 bimmerholic

bimmerholic

Club Guest

• Club Guest
  • 2,475 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 04:39 PM

I realized there were some questions in regards to the type of ATF oil which is the recommended or suitable to use to the types of slush-boxes that is fitted to your car.Well, here's a quick summary of the types of ATF oil that you are to use when you're due for a change. This should be handy to many.ZF Transmission (1991-1999)Posted ImageZF Transmission (2000-2003)Posted ImageGM Transmission (1991-1999)Posted ImageGM Transmission (2000-2003)Posted ImageSome information on carrying out the ATF oil change.Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#2 B33mEr

B33mEr

Club Guest

• Club Guest
  • 3,446 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 05:01 PM

Nice one bro :top:

#3 jarance

jarance

• Official Member
  • 14,668 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 11:56 PM

Thank you for the compilation. bimmerholic sharing is caring.

#4 Petrus

Petrus

Club Guest

• Club Guest
  • 336 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 12:43 AM

Good info there bro !!! Thanx for sharing :rock:

#5 astroboy

astroboy
  • Club Guest
  • 8,727 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 02:56 AM

Seriously, which workshop uses a proper hoist when it comes to ATF change? Such hoist only found in alignment machine and only available at tyre shop. Secondly, which workshop measures your transmission temperature during ATF change? Don't think our local workshops even have a thermometer for such application. Sigh!

#6 bimmerholic

bimmerholic

Club Guest

• Club Guest
  • 2,475 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 04:10 AM

You're most welcome guys....:)

#7 bimmerholic

bimmerholic

Club Guest

• Club Guest
  • 2,475 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 04:13 AM

Seriously, which workshop uses a proper hoist when it comes to ATF change? Such hoist only found in alignment machine and only available at tyre shop. Secondly, which workshop measures your transmission temperature during ATF change? Don't think our local workshops even have a thermometer for such application. Sigh!

Very true...but the least we could do is to know that this is how it should be carried out. Having said that, our mechanics never swear by the book...it's all about how fast can they get the change done irrespective if it is done correctly.

i know.....sad but true...

#8 astroboy

astroboy
  • Club Guest
  • 8,727 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 04:26 AM

When I did my last ATF change job when the car was only 40k km old, I went to a shop that provides alignment service to hopefully can use their alignment hoist to ensure car is level during the ATF change. But was in vain because that hoist, business too good with long list of cars waited for alignment job. End up I had to use their normal hoist which hoist from the side skirt jack points with 4 wheels hanging in the air. I asked them to get a hand pump talk jack like this muffler box support stand, to jack the rear diff up to artificially achieve the "level" position. Many were watching because if rear jack too high, the car may slip and fell head down from the hoist !! :ahhhhh: while I use a contractor level ruler to measure the ATF pan level under the hoist.. :4:

#9 bimmerholic

bimmerholic

Club Guest

• Club Guest
  • 2,475 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 04:47 AM

When I did my last ATF change job when the car was only 40k km old, I went to a shop that provides alignment service to hopefully can use their alignment hoist to ensure car is level during the ATF change. But was in vain because that hoist, business too good with long list of cars waited for alignment job. End up I had to use their normal hoist which hoist from the side skirt jack points with 4 wheels hanging in the air. I asked them to get a hand pump talk jack like this muffler box support stand, to jack the rear diff up to artificially achieve the "level" position. Many were watching because if rear jack too high, the car may slip and fell head down from the hoist !! :ahhhhh: while I use a contractor level ruler to measure the ATF pan level under the hoist.. :4:

You actually did that....:top:

I would have gotten a finger i think from the mech if i were to do so LOL!!!

#10 aidilj

aidilj

Official Member

• Club Guest
  • 2,222 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 06:50 AM

How about some info for 318i model? is the gearbox the same as any of the above?

#11 Ricky929

Ricky929

Club Guest

• Club Guest
  • 8 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 12:32 PM

actually, what is ZF and GM transmission, how about my N42 engine? '04 318i...which type of transmission is using? thx for sharing this...just plan to change the oil

#12 Iceduke

Iceduke

Club Guest

• Club Guest
  • 371 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 01:24 AM

ZF and GM are gearbox manufacturers. They both supply gearbox to BMW. Most 6cylinders sold here are using ZF I believe. For N42 318i, it is GM gearbox. From my extensive reading of foreign (US/EU/UK) forums, GM gearboxes used Dexron VI as a replacement fluid. If you look at the chart posted, the actual fluid is Texaco 8072B which is almost non-existent to get over here. I've got a document from BMW listing approved fluids for its gearboxes and it lists Dexron III as an alternative fluid to 8072B. Dexron VI is the replacement for Dexron III. And there is an official announcement stating that from 2006, all GM gearboxes will ship with Dexron VI fluids, as evident in their GM6 hydramatic which is commonly used in Chevy,Bimmers, etc... I'll try to post the PDF doc here as it is too big...Hope this helps :)

#13 Iceduke

Iceduke

Club Guest

• Club Guest
  • 371 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 01:27 AM

can't seem to shrink the pdf file size, if you guys want the file, I can email it...PM me ur email add. Cheers. Just to add, for ZF gearboxes, it uses the ever popular ZF Lifeguard 5 or 6 that most workshop/spare parts shop use. Although they say ZF LG can be used for N42 GM boxes but I have my reservations, seeing the high failure rate due to wrong usage of ATF fluids :) My 2 sens....

#14 Iceduke

Iceduke

Club Guest

• Club Guest
  • 371 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 02:05 AM

managed to copy paste to text, this document also covers newer F10/F30. If any of u still want the orig doc, buzz me. Cheers [ATTACH]25266[/ATTACH]

#15 Iceduke

Iceduke

Club Guest

• Club Guest
  • 371 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 12:54 PM

apparently CKD N42s uses the ZF gearboxes as evident from a unit doing a service at BOMIN today. Just take note. Cheers

#16 nughaud

nughaud

Club Guest

• Club Guest
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 09:51 PM

You're most welcome guys....:)

bimmerholic, I would appreciate if you would have at least posted the website you got some of the information from:
http://bimmerinfo.com/e46trans.htm

Thanks

#17 anaksarawak

anaksarawak

Official Member

• Club Guest
  • 4,133 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 11:47 PM

Many forum mentioned RedLine D4 ATF, have anyone tried this for their GM gearbox?

#18 Iceduke

Iceduke

Club Guest

• Club Guest
  • 371 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 02:00 AM

Many overseas GM have used Redline without issues, as it is actually Dexron IV synthetic fluid :), abit pricey but ask yourself if you constantly race ur gb. If not I'd rather go for cheaper ones and change often.

Many forum mentioned RedLine D4 ATF, have anyone tried this for their GM gearbox?

#19 astroboy

astroboy
  • Club Guest
  • 8,727 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 02:20 AM

As far as Toyota is concerned, the UMW SC are selling both D-III and D-IV. D-IV is meant for Toyota with AT box that comes with hill decent feature. The fluid is more liquid for this application while my Avanza is sticking to D-III even when service at SC, they have both ATF but only prescribe D-III for my Avanza. Outside part shop has long stop selling D-III and substitute that with D-IV and I just refuse to budge in regardless of how they tried to convince me. I have heard of Avanza suffering from slipping in their AT box after using D-IV because the lighter D-IV fluid unable to build sufficient pressure for my AT Box's normal operation.

What I'm trying to say D-IV is not a replacement for D-III.

The new E90 LCI or E90 MSport is shipped with GM 6 speed box and is prescribed with Dexron VI. The authorised part shops are selling Petrol Canada Dextron VI for these boxes.

Posted Image

#20 anaksarawak

anaksarawak

Official Member

• Club Guest
  • 4,133 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 02:46 AM

astroboy can you share the supply shop contact? Is it the same as iceduke's contact and price? We need 6 liters for each change?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users