What are the pro & cons of an X1

Discussion in 'X Series' started by Veera, May 5, 2014.

1. Veera

Veera Club Guest

Hello sifu's and fellow UDM members,

I have a friend who is considering to get an X1 2.0 diesel.

Would anyone be able to advice what are the pro & cons of an X1 diesel? or a petrol X1 would be much better? and how is the maintenance looks like?

2. prodigy

prodigy Club Guest

I tested the X1 petrol before, a decent car to begin with. Rather powerful car but the acceleration of diesel sibling is I think 0.5 secs slower than petrol one. IIRC, diesel variant is 4 wheel drive but the petrol is 2WD. Secondly, the pre face lifted X1 does not have the I drive.

3. Mafulat

Mafulat Club Guest

mileage - you get more mileage out of the diesel than petrol per tank even with x-drive feature on the diesel that consumes a bit more than RWD. 750km avg per tank mostly city driving 80% and highway driving of 20% (odo only clocked in about 2000kms to date, gets slightly better with more mileage clocked in).

clatter (cool to me, not to some) - you get the all too familiar diesel clatter (love it or hate it) which is quite audible when you drive along objects that deflects the clattering noise from the engine through the wheel arch and into the cabin, such as highway concrete divider, car, enclosed area like car parks. if you can live past that, the diesel will serve you very well.

torque - you get addictive torque pull when you need it during normal overtaking maneuvres.

x-drive = heavier steering - x-drive makes the steering noticebly heavier than the petrol. haven't had the chance to put the x-drive to test off roading or slippery roads.

better specs - locally, they speced the diesel slightly better. x-line trim, sat-nav, bigger idrive screen, dvd ent. system, 18" wheels, paddle shifters to name a few.

on the downside, you get the same below par finishing on both diesel or petrol with some hard plastics used on the dashboard meter cover, that results in some un-BMW like tiny rattles on the dash and from the trunk. some people complain about the firmness of the suspension but that gives me a bit more confident on the highway with speeds over 140.

4. tckhor

tckhor Club Guest

Diesel consumption is good, I am getting 35mpg in the congested roads around PJ.
    There may be inconvenience at the end of the month at times when diesel supply at the kiosks run out.
    As mentioned above, the 380nm torque is very strong. If there is a powerkit available for the 20d, the torque can be increased to 420nm which is very impressive.
    The permanent 4WD of the diesel 20d is very stable at speed and through corners. Overall, it is a very good long distance cruiser as the diesel engine turns around at low rpms.

5. Mafulat

Mafulat Club Guest

let's just say... :65: .. you don't necessarily need the powerkit to get the extra boost..

I felt that this diesel stock, eventhough with the ultra efficient 8speed ZF, is rather sluggish and feels like a lunking big beast compared to the similarly engine+8spZF F30, which is zippy and eager to go or stop without much heft.

to give it a little bit of boost, you can always opt for plug-n-play (no warranty issue) tuning boxes which you can also set your own preference on how much of a boost you like according to your driving style. They usually give you a modest 10% to over 25% boost in HP and torque with a variety of smoothness in delivery. I opted for DTUK CRD-T boxes for both my 2.0d and they work like a charm without maximum boost and consumption is a hint better.

on top of that, there's this other thing called the 'pedalbox' that changes the characteristics of your accelerator pedal to give you the 'perceived' experience of more responsive drive.

both boxes give you a noticeable difference in power delivery and drive, really good combo to have. do check out F30's forum where people regularly do group buys on the DTUK and PedalBox and they are compatible across the series range of 2.0d cars, with/without the PPK.

oh, both boxes combined costs less than half of that of the PPK. but it'll be another awesome boost to have the PPK as well as both the boxes as the DTUK does come with a setting designed for PPK usage.

6. Fadhlan

Fadhlan Official Member

I don't own an X1 but I've driven both the diesel and petrol version. I like diesel because it's torquey and it has 4WD. It's nice to take a corner at high speed with 4WD, and it's also nice to have a high torque car.

Nonetheless I'm very much bothered by the annoying Diesel engine sound and the smell of diesel at the back end. If you don't mind both, then take the diesel. If you do, take the petrol.

7. prodigy

prodigy Club Guest

I must say the diesel clatter is audible at speeds below 40kmh. It's distinctive although I wouldn't say it's extremely loud. You must get use to it. Why I say it's distinctive rather than loud is because my bro in law Passat is just as loud as the d at idle. It's just that people perceive the clatter as noisy but in reality both the petrol and diesel variant is just as loud. It's a social stigma if you ask me.

8. prodigy

prodigy Club Guest

Oh yes this I must add, the exhaust smell.

I had a friend who doesn't know much about cars but was standing behind my idling car. He very casually commented that the rain-drizzle today smelt abit different and it was sour-ish. So I told him it's not the rain, it's my exhaust.

I must say the sour smell is also distinctively Diesel engine. Not very pleasant but your family or relative won't be very pleased with this kinda smell.

9. Veera

Veera Club Guest

sifu's,

thank you so much for your guidance and advises so far. really helps guys... :)

10. pchan1

pchan1 Active Member

I just tested the petrol version of the X1 facelift 2013 version with I drive at the dealer. I reckon this model is also fitted with the same 8 speed ZF. nevertheless the gear box characteristic is quite different compared to my F30 328i. Certainly the F30 version is alot more responsive, this is in comparison with f30 in comfort mode.

Also the engine noise is more pronounce in the X1 within the cabin.

Getting this pre-own unit for my wife, with quite a substantial savings at pretty low mileage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. pchan1

pchan1 Active Member

Had its very first car wash session on a sunny Sunday morning.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. acemccloud

acemccloud Banned

getting mine soon...

13. boyburhan

boyburhan Club Guest

what bout the S Drive 18 model?

14. KNRaj

KNRaj Club Guest

Looking good. How is it so far?

Sent from my m2 using Tapatalk

15. NHLEE1974

NHLEE1974 New Member

Hi all, I am thinking of getting a used 2012/2013 X1, can any bros advise on the pros and cons of this model, thanks a lot

16. hans11

hans11 Official Member

Follow