1. Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

Want to get a BMW for the 1st time

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by BeemerWannabe, Jun 11, 2020.

1. BeemerWannabe

BeemerWannabe New Member

Dear Sifu & BMW Enthusiasts,

Currently, I'm owning a Honda Accord and wished to convert to a BMW.
    Been browsing the internet a few days now looking at F10 2013-2017 (up to 90k mileage), since the price range is right for me, and already few in mind that I want to test drive. Why 5 series? I have 3 kids and 3 series would be really cramped.

My only concern is the maintenance cost. Looking at this forum for instance, a 80k mileage car service can cost you RM3K (this is with faulty parts). I don't mind spending up to RM2k per service but if beyond that it will be trouble for me. Normally I will service my car once in 3 months (10k km) because I travel a lot. I would need a reliable car that won't break down on me.

I hope a 90k mileage car won't cause a lot of problems as I hope to use this car for 7 years ahead.

Appreciate your honest opinion if I should buy a BMW or not. Many thanks!

#1 BeemerWannabe, Jun 11, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2020
  2. gendong

gendong Moderator
    Club Committee

Welcome to the forum bro.

To be honest, owning a BMW is not for the fain hearted. Some ownership journey is smooth sailing, with normal servicing and some wear n tear changes. This normally applies to those with BSRI still intact (up to 5 years). But for some unlucky few, its a headache with frequent breakdowns n parts change.

Normal servicing (engine oil change + filter) approx RM500-RM700, dependent on the engine oil u choose. Yeah if you had the chance to browse thru the forum, the numbers at times are a bit on the high side. So dont be alarmed, as with proper care, u'd b able to sort it out. I hv never had an experience with Accord before, but its probably there?

My suggestion is for u to find a car with BSRI still intact. A 2017 car would perhaps have another 2 years of BSRI to go, hence that is your safest bet. So if u do get one local unit with BSRI, do register urself as the new owner at the nearest Authorised Service Centre, so u can continue the BSRI on the car.

Also, upon reaching 100k km mileage, a lot of maintenance, wear n tear replacement need to be performed.

Good luck in ur quest bro!

BeemerWannabe likes this.
  3. BeemerWannabe

BeemerWannabe New Member

Hi bro gendong,

Thank you so much for the information!

After some due diligence based on your feedback and my research, I've decided to proceed in buying a 2015 520i F10. I hope the car can serve me well and I can finally get a taste of the Ultimate Driving Machine that everyone is preaching about. So, some paperwork to do now since I need to sell-off my current car.

Thanks again bro gendong!

4. enkil

enkil Club Guest

Congrats! Enjoy