1. Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

Unpleasant Experience at Optimum Motorworks Kayu Ara

Discussion in 'E46' started by Ncjing, Dec 19, 2014.

1. mushaini

mushaini Club Guest

Regret to say that I had an unhappy experience with Optimum Kayu Ara recently.

Went there some time last year to change engine oil for E46 and it was ok.

This time went there for second time because of poor idling and the vent valve had to be changed. They charged me RM300 for the part and RM80 for labour.

After that I checked with BA and found out the part costs RM115 only. That is a mark up of 160% !!!!

I wouldn't mind if they charge a small mark up for the part for their trouble getting it etc, but I think this is too much.

Looks like gotta find another place to service the car .......

gendong likes this.
  2. Ncjing

Ncjing New Member

Whoa that markup percentage is even more than mine... I know your pain bro! :listen:

And actually now that I think of it, it isn't too troublesome for them to get the parts... They just make a phone call to BA without even checking the part number and just place an order... >_<"

3. Vincent Hor

Vincent Hor Club Guest

I am not a customer of Optimum and I don't get paid for putting up this post. I do know Foo since his apprenticeship with Ultimate Motors in Batu Caves. That is easily some 13 years ago. He is a competent mechanic and knows his stuffs.

From my many years of BMW ownership experience, I do know that there are many grades of spare parts available. There are originals BMW and OEM. Even OEM's may have different grades. It all depends on what the importer are willing to pay. As most of you would know by now, a lot of these BMW parts are actually manufactured in China. So I am not going to say more on what you get is what you pay especially from manufacturers in China.

I see in many forum posts, members makes comparison on parts prices. The question I am going to pose is are we comparing apple to apple? For example some original BMW parts cost 2-3 times more that the best grade OEM parts. Well, is there a difference in the quality here? For me, it's a definite yes and they do last longer and yield better performance.

Although all OEM parts do look alike, are we sure it's the same ones that Optimum are using? So unless we are very sure that the parts used by workshops (whichever) in question about their high prices, I would want to make sure that we are comparing the same thing before shooting the workshop in any open forum. I would approach the workshop concern & tell him directly that he has overcharged me. Let him explain to me. If needs be, ask him to show his parts purchase invoice. Let him know that we are aware that a general rule that workshops do mark up some 10-20% and we are prepared to pay for that mark up.

In these day of technology whereby informations are available a click away, I seriously doubt that they will dare mark up as much as 100-300% on their parts cost. If I am not wrong, I believe parts suppliers do send better quality OEM parts to workshops as these workshops are experts and knows the difference in quality. Besides parts supplier needs the support from workshops more than from you and me being a walk in customer.

I am not saying that what you guys have posted about pricing is wrong, but I would be careful in making sure that the part quality is the same before making a strong statement.

I also know, that sometimes Auto Bavaria, do throw some good deals on parts but, can we expect a busy workshop to check out the AB web to find if there is an offer? The hassle is probably too much. Location, delivery & credit extension is probably not in their favour too.
    My advise, if you find a good deal for parts from AB, go buy it yourself and bring it to a workshop which will allow you to bring your own parts.

Peace

vixxx, ck82, moots and 7 others like this.
  4. Ncjing

Ncjing New Member

That's a very good point you have made, which prompted me to call Bavarian Auto PJ to ask about the brake disc just now. Was quoted RM365 per piece for original front discs, OEM at RM112. I am genuinely surprised, and for that I apologize for any wrongdoings I have made on the prices. The price I got for the brake discs and pads were indeed in fair mark up range for any workshop.

Yes I agree with you that the distinctions between OEMs and Originals should be made more clearly, I'll be sure to check it properly in all my future posts.

Nevertheless, the bad after-taste of my encounter with Fai remains. I can't say too much about Foo cause obviously you know him better than I do.

I guess my path is clear now, I'll have to learn up how to DIY soon! :67:

5. DanzE90

DanzE90 Club Guest

must learn from sifu astroboy for DIY session haha

6. jarance

jarance Founding Member

Invest in a good set of tools first before start on DIY.

7. Ncjing

Ncjing New Member

Ya lo his skills and experience is very impressive!

Definitely, I bought some cheapo 3/8 wrench sets from supermarket a long time ago to work on my old Audi, tried to open one very tight nut and the gears inside the wrench actually broke! Which then became a piece of useless metal...

There's a ton of questions I'd like to ask on DIY, I guess I'll slowly open more new threads soon in the DIY section. :)

8. Herbert

Herbert Well-Known Member

Astroboy only pre-sifu, the real sifu is Jarance. :rock:

ck82 and Ncjing like this.
  9. splee

splee Club Guest

Do the Sifus here take apprentice? I want to learn DIY too. Lol. This reminds me of the uk tv programme on car restoration, wheeler dealers. It all looks so simple when watching on tv. Hahaha

10. jarance

jarance Founding Member

psstt.. BMW car use metric lar.

Never ever buy cheapo tools. I buy tools that last me a lifetime and of course some cheap tool.
    I have a grinder, electric drill, dremel cutter, miniature grinder, heat gun, hot glue gun, soldering station, hacksaw, cutting blade of various size, set of screw drivers, pliers. and dont forget to get the torx key. Most BMW bolts are Torx bolt. Get the odd size allen key like size 7.

I also make my own tool for removing fan clutch and fuel sender cover.

As for DIY, just google for BMW DIY. Some are very informative but watch out for those that are "pre-dismantle". They never show you
    the hard part of removing the parts. LOL

Ncjing likes this.
  11. jarance

jarance Founding Member

Join as an OM and I sure Astroboy will accept you as his apprentice. :listen:

12. Ncjing

Ncjing New Member

Oh use metric ah?? I think there's a very small difference on the sizes right compared to U.S. Standard sizes? Luckily you told me about this before I buy the sockets. Thanks for the advice on Torx & allen 7mm!

Wah, you're really pro, can even make your own tools o_O!

Yeah you're right there're tons of DIY info on the net, and I've erm, *eh-hem* "obtained" a copy of the bentley service manual for E46. Hopefully I'll be able to start on the Disa valve & Rear brake discs by the next few months :67: .

13. haywire

haywire Official Member

Yeah I was quoted RM300 parts only for M54 valve cover gaskets including the rings when I did my Vanos seals there. Weirdly he allowed me to bring the gaskets myself which i know is rm120 from BA. Thats the only time I was in Optimum though so I cant comment much on that.

14. Herbert

Herbert Well-Known Member

Haywire, you heard of the saying ...let the small fish masuk dulu.....lepas itu, you know lah. Looks like you sudah "escape".

15. jarance

jarance Founding Member

Yup, Beisan Vanos seal is also another thing that they allow to be supply by yourself.

16. sewell

sewell Club Guest

need to careful of the price quoted by bomin auto. go to workshop and spare-parts shop is different price. and i can say their price is ok only.

17. tweiboon

tweiboon Club Guest

I have all above plus 1hp air pump, air air wrench, 3 tonne car jack, welding machines, stand grinder, stand drill machine,Portable Mini Metal Cutter Machines

18. jarance

jarance Founding Member

You can open workshop with the aboves tools.

Xthree likes this.
  19. cyne

cyne Club Guest

It took me just one instance that I know they are not that honest, and left them for good. It was in 2007, and never went back since. If you can head to optimum I can recommend my trustee mech in Ara Dsara to you. It's not the nicest workshop you can find buy the boss is knowledgeable

tee likes this.
  20. crusher

crusher Club Guest

[SIZE=11.8181819915771px]Sorry it is PER pair of disc[/SIZE]