1. Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

Uncle aziz e38 00/03

Discussion in '7 Series' started by uncle aziz, Sep 18, 2010.

1. uncle aziz

uncle aziz Club Guest

After long search ( and journey too) finally managed to add in e38 728i M52b28TU in udm fleet.Don`t seem to trust the sweet words of 1st owner...get the machine checked for necessary repairs and service .[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]Note: Please use original BMW front disc to avoid braking sound at a very low speed .MB One workshop changed OEM set to my car..... the rest of parts are ro from BMW( reviewed @29/10/10)

2. uncle aziz

uncle aziz Club Guest

Also need to replace plastic parts/mudguard and undercarriage, tyre sensors found faulty lead to ABS not functioning> speedometer not working.....rear absorbers high time for replacement....

3. Vincent Hor

Vincent Hor Club Guest

Hi! Uncle Aziz, part of the initial pains of owing a 2nd hand BMW. After this is joy. Since you own both the E38 and E39, please share with us your findings between the two.

BTW your E38 looks good and those 16" Ori rims is among the best 16" for E38.

4. initialM

initialM Official Member

Congrat uncle on your new E38. Looks great. How much u bought if dun mine.

5. uncle aziz

uncle aziz Club Guest

Thank guys....the purchase is quite hurry after simple inspection done for abt 2 hrs and confirmed the purchase next day. Experience in handling e30.e36 and e39 has helped to make decision . Came down fr Butterworth after spotting advertsmn in mudah.com by C S Motor but the machine already sold for quite sometime and dealer didn`t seem to delete his adv. Detected mine at Jalan Cheras ....managed to nego the price down by RM8k....Bg 2000 mnfg yr overall internal and external still working /intact. Love at 1st sight ...hard to refuse. Noticed major parts undercarriage need to replace. Hope to start restoration job soon .

6. uncle aziz

uncle aziz Club Guest

Drove the car back to Butterworth this morning clocked 3hrs 15 min covering 350km without speedometer/ABS/petrol pressure gauge.....not so sure how many saman ekor since today is last day of Operasi balik raya. Right leg pressing hard on pedal seems heavy for hp 186 to pull almost 2 tons wght...I prefer drvg e39... easily manouver left and right hi way lane cruising above 180kmj average . But I don`t regret with e38 728i and started to agree with owners review comment in internet. As a retiree I think the machine is okey for me for town driving in area less trafic jamm . Tomorrow will visit favorite udm workshop to rectify weaknessess detected to make it perfect and reliable machine again. I think e38 would be the last BMW unit to acquire since I hv complete range of oldies. Latest model, e60/90 seems beyond the reach .

7. uncle aziz

uncle aziz Club Guest

guys.....please share solution for the following problem:
    Battery indicator turned on RED when hard pressing on accelerator pedal using tiptronic gear 4/5.
    Normal driving okey.

8. masCh

masCh Club Guest

loose alternator belt? or tadak grip?

9. initialM

initialM Official Member

Wah uncle u hv 3, 5 & 7 series? Awesome:top:
    Me just change my plan recently:stupid:

10. YaZmEeN

YaZmEeN Active Member
    Staff Member

IM, this mean u have to buy an E38...its a must already...hehe

Btw uncle aziz, u did mention about no speedometer/abs/fuel gauge before. i did experienced this last year and the culprit was the rear left abs sensor wire has open circuit. it happens when got water, especially during car wash, or wet road.

11. uncle aziz

uncle aziz Club Guest

masCh..>.thanx for the simple yet logic reason...my other friend gave this advise...change alternator ..ayyoo very scary.
    InitialM..>all second hand machines..The cost of repairs / replacement parts is scary...can buy another e38 V8...my sons are enjoying the machines now ( also active in e30/e36 Forum )
    YaZmEeN >yes true. Both cables/ sensor on left side appeared new(fixed by the previous owner) but not detected by main unit ( attached to ABS )....root course has been identified by MB one Ah Pie....left unattended yesterday due to time constraint . Generally not affected engine performance while travel back to Bworth this morning. For the next few weeks will be busy at workshop .

12. gregcwho

gregcwho Club Guest

Hi Uncle Aziz,

Congrats on ur purchase. Very impressive that u have all the series..

Enjoy ur ride!!

Cheers :)

13. initialM

initialM Official Member

Having E39 528 Yr 97 & E46 328 Yr 2000 with less than 1.5k installment a mth would be tempted to buy E38 maybe 728. But its no point having 3 cars at 1 time coz I only drive 1 car each time. Sumore all cars would be more than 10 yrs & maintaining older BMW is always expensive. I dont hv much fund to go another E38 project since buying new house. mmmm since my E39 goin off soon no point getting E38 as I already abort my plan to hv 3,5, & 7 at one time. Anyway E38 would be the best lookin 7 at all time:top:

14. masCh

masCh Club Guest

Don't thank me yet.. only do that if it works. =)

15. YaZmEeN

YaZmEeN Active Member
    Staff Member

Uncle,

My alternator was kong after serving good for almost 14 years. Then i changed to 2nd hand unit which cost me RM600 with labour. Unfortunately it only last for a month, and the damage created by the used unit even worst that it overcharged my battery. Fortunately my mechanic absorb the previous cost a little bit and charged me RM1300 for a new alternator, Bosch. But i have to pay for the new battery in full, RM600++. Forgotten the actual price as i changed it earlier this year.

The moral of the story, i think the alternator shouldn't be replace to the used unit as it might create more serious prob. Now driving with worries free on the new alternator.

But try to rectify the problem first whether the belt is not loose.

16. uncle aziz

uncle aziz Club Guest

Hmmmm....alternator rm1600, DSC/ABS Module replacement ( if failed) RM2000, absorbers F &R +-RM1000....costly affair. Bank account to run out of credit balance.
    Another problem detected (similar to my e39)....fill in petrol full tank but shown only half tank >petrol float failure? Since driving this car for short distance only not so worry abt this failure ...tackle problem at later stage.

17. mizhan

mizhan Member

that's a very nice E38.. congratulations :)

18. ssmann

ssmann Club Guest

Yes uncle, petrol tank float or meter gauge problem...I have similar prob on my 34...nice car. Enjoy the drive. Off course, getting a perfect E38 is gonna cause a serious credit problem!!!! But worth every penny :top:

19. YaZmEeN

YaZmEeN Active Member
    Staff Member

Yes, agreed with ssmann that initial stage will have to spend more on the car. But don't worry that much, last time with the standard set up, we change the absorber every 5 years only with the undercarriage. Parts are made to last longer