1. Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

RON 97 or RON 95??

Discussion in 'Engine Tech' started by orangeorange98@yahoo.com, Apr 22, 2011.

1. orangeorange98@yahoo.com

After the goverment intro for the Ron 95 did anyone compare both petrol???? Everyone will choose Ron 95 because of their price, But for performance they will choose Ron 97? How about u??? Im using Ron 95 because more economic!!! :top:

fknbyojji likes this.
  2. Eggie86

Eggie86 Club Guest

Please introduce yourself in the Newbies Section.

Your queries have preciously been covered before on the forum on the various threads. Cheers. :)

3. montyashley

montyashley Club Guest

cannot compare rom 95 & ron 97 coz the price almost double ler....if u r talking about ron 95...then try the primax 95 xtra from petronas la..same price as ron 95 but with F1 tech...they have brief on this new petrol here...
    http://www.mymesra.com.my/

4. ICEMAN 68

ICEMAN 68 Founding Member

well this RON topic had been discuss several times here ...try clicking on the search ...

5. Crymson

Crymson Club Guest

I used to use Ron97, then late last year decide to test out Ron95 and because I don't feel any difference in performance I have been using Ron95 ever since on both ride. In particular and only Bhp, Caltex or Esso/Mobil. I have tried the P xtra, well nothing extra about it, feels the same like the old one.

6. montyashley

montyashley Club Guest

no extra uummmppphhh??? hahaha...me so far ok with the pick up but mileage wise dunno yet...maybe coz me only using 3 series lol hehehehe....

7. Hachiroku

Hachiroku Club Guest

Did overhaul on my E30 325i early this year since new heartbeat so begin to test out RON 95 and RON 97 myself. i found out even though my rides is on old technology compare to nowadays new technology on bimmer, the result is still the same: RON 95 is more economical but not much in performance, RON 97 is better in performance when acceleration. Mileage both RON 95 and RON 97 still the same, my personal view is depends on your wallet end of the day...RON 95 (RM 1.95/L) RON 97 (RM 2.70/L). But for my rides i'll choose RON 97 (performance and cleaner engine)... :)

8. eediot

eediot Club Guest

well RON 97 just when up another 20sen..sigh

9. Hikaru

Hikaru Club Guest

Although many will disagree since the car we drive are not cheap, I am rather forced to use Ron95 (1.90) due to the insane price of Ron97 (2.90). Even in my E46 days, I loved the way Ron97 gives that slight edge in terms of acceleration feel (no scientific test on actual acceleration times) but I cannot afford that on my e90. I am now pretty much rely on BMW engines to ensure that it will run just as well on Ron95 but of course BMW definately can run on Ron95 and even lower.

10. seewai

seewai S62B50

Can earn more credit card points at each refill then...hehe.

11. chylee11

chylee11 Club Guest

since the current price diff is rm1 per ltr, those who wants higher RON can turn to those Octane Boosters being sold in stores such as ACE.
    a bottle of those, e.g. STP cost about rm20 and will treat a whole full tank, for BMW about 50ltrs.. and improvement of at least 2 RON number, hence using the Boosters will save u rm30 per full tank.

that is, by theory. lols..

12. orangeorange98@yahoo.com

ok anyone still using this primax xtra 95?

13. rayncc

rayncc Club Guest

Why not?? We don't boycott national oil :vroam:

14. siva93

siva93 Club Guest

Let me get this right. So if I am pouring RM70 which lets say is 3/4 of the full tank but full tank is RM100 (rough calculation). So with the octane boosters i'll be driving the distance of full tank but at a petrol price of RM70/?? please correct me if im wrong. thanks in advance

15. tIANcI

tIANcI Club Guest

High octane is generally used for high compression engines. Main purpose is not because higher octane gives you more power but mainly it stops premature detonation. Thus allowing the high compression engine to perform as intended. This is just being general.

Please note there are tests conducted using octane boosters and the dyno shows that the HP increases by a mere 2-3 hP or in many cases it decreased too because the octane did not suit the engine. So does not mean pour in octane booster = more power. Also, if any its negligible. 2-3 HP on a 1,500 kg car cannot be felt. Only a gokart, oh yeah ...

As for your query, if we use RON95 as an example on say your standard bimmer engine. No ... The octane booster will not give you better mileage at all.

16. siva93

siva93 Club Guest

Alright then. THe booster works best with higher ron. in our case. Ron 97. I am planning to try this on my saga actually before going to bmw. Takut jugak any side effect then must take out money lagi... :D

17. siva93

siva93 Club Guest

Okay back to the topic. Anyways I normally use Ron 95 but once a month I tend to make it a habit to pour full tank of RON97. According to my foreman it seems it cleans the engine. Not sure what he means but at least I enjoy the slight boost and increase in acceleration.

Sigh... If only Vpower is cheap...... :12::12::12:

18. tIANcI

tIANcI Club Guest

Sorry ... I meant much better mileage at all. A bit better yeah but don't expect miracles. It's been said octane boosters do help out in older cars. A lot of talk about it on the net la. Try Googling it.

From RON95 to RON97 ... The increase in power in a standard car is mainly psychological ...

19. siva93

siva93 Club Guest

It's because a lot of talks that is why i am curious to try it out myself bro. haaha Googled it i think a couple of months back. So I really want to test and see if it has good mileage or not. But only thing I must finish the petrol first. Pour RON97 with the octane boosters.

Well I am not sure but probably true also tianci maybe psychological also.

Eh btw guys I heard RON 91 coming in??? Is it confirm or is this rumor fake as well?

20. t2ribena

t2ribena Club guest

did a test with ron97 then add in a 10point octane booster...suppose to be RON98 but the test return RON97.1 which is the original RON...I stop using any booster since...