1. Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

Removal of Cat converter

Discussion in 'Engine Tech' started by maverick, Dec 16, 2004.

1. maverick

maverick Club Guest

Am thinking of removing my cat converter...was quoted RM350 by Speedworks PG..to remove cat and replace with center resonator....how much should I be paying?Also heard of Jaafa...will he be able to do a better job?MrHartge advises against going to Speedworks..any comments?

2. mctnesh

mctnesh Club Guest

Maverick,If you're intown, might as well get it done from the sifu (Jaafa).Peace... :)

3. fomoco

fomoco Club Guest

yeah....dun go to speed works....go to everco...they do a good job....i think should be below rm300!

4. Jipster

Jipster Club Guest

I use an everco (sunway) exhaust - centre section to backbox/muffler.... looks wise not so great , but its ok....I run an E30 6 pot by the way...

5. Fuhrer

Fuhrer Club Guest

just to gain a few more horses that in turn would pollute the earth more?

6. fomoco

fomoco Club Guest

fuhrer....is correct....but remove it...muahahaha

7. BMW9700

BMW9700 Club Guest

Originally posted by maverick@Dec 16 2004, 07:25 AM Am thinking of removing my cat converter...was quoted RM350 by Speedworks PG..to remove cat and replace with center resonator....how much should I be paying?Also heard of Jaafa...will he be able to do a better job?MrHartge advises against going to Speedworks..any comments?
    i removed my cat converter some time back....it was replaced by a 2 bullet silencer...cost around RM 300..i'm not sure if i did the right thing for an e46...

8. ichiwan2

ichiwan2 Club Guest

9. flash

flash Club Guest

Hmmm, I wud only remove my cat if there was something wrong with it... otherwise it stays.

10. pussy

pussy Club Guest

removing the cat would liberate some hp's but your torque is gone further up the rev band or loose some... installing a set of bullets would help on the resonating exhaust gases sound be lesser..pussy

11. jarance

jarance Founding Member

Originally posted by pussy@Dec 17 2004, 07:28 AM removing the cat would liberate some hp's but your torque is gone further up the rev band or loose some... installing a set of bullets would help on the resonating exhaust gases sound be lesser..pussy
    I think you get an extra 2 HP only...

12. Crymson

Crymson Club Guest

Exhaust repack + remove cat + K&N (or any other) replacement filter = considerable HP gain.What about torque?

13. maverick

maverick Club Guest

Crymson - if that's the case, sounds like a viable option...thinking of doing exactly that!!..prbably have to pay Jaafa a visit.

14. ALBundy

ALBundy Founding Member

I seriously dont think you will gain any significant hp from this exercise. You will feel the car is lighter and faster but in actual reality, the car is slower due to a lost in torque. Try chipping the car if you are not into heavy mods.

15. Crymson

Crymson Club Guest

Originally posted by ALBundy@Dec 18 2004, 11:10 AM I seriously dont think you will gain any significant hp from this exercise. You will feel the car is lighter and faster but in actual reality, the car is slower due to a lost in torque. Try chipping the car if you are not into heavy mods.
    Bundy, do you mean:Exhaust repack + remove cat + K&N (or any other) replacement filter + superchip (or the like) ?orJust superchip (or the like)?MavNot gonna cost more than RM800 by repacking and replacing the cat.

16. mrhartge

mrhartge demonic entity

17. ALBundy

ALBundy Founding Member

Crymson, from my experience, chipping is much better!! Yeah superchip, Unichip (piggyback) or any reputable chip will be better. More satifying. I only would repack my exhaust (as I did) if there is a need to. :D

18. Crymson

Crymson Club Guest

Originally posted by ALBundy@Dec 18 2004, 12:22 PM I only would repack my exhaust (as I did) if there is a need to. :D
    What was the need?mrhartgehahaha .... quit it long time ago mate

19. ALBundy

ALBundy Founding Member

BEcause I need to la, the muffler has some cracking noise, and true enough when it was opened/dissected, there wasnt any fibre or steel wool left. So ended up with a complete re-design of the muffler :D