1. Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

Need Help.. Strange Whizzing Noise

Discussion in '7 Series' started by adam_ikmal, Aug 10, 2016.

1. adam_ikmal

adam_ikmal Member

Hi all, still new to the community here, got myself a nice 728i E38.. but problem is right now it keeps making this strange whizzing noise coming from the rear right tyres after a few minutes of driving.

Could it be the fuel pump? I'm not sure myself, so I would like suggestions on what I should look for, thanks in advance and Have A Nice Day! :)

2. Herbert

Herbert Well-Known Member

Couple of questions....Does the whizzing noise increases with speed ? Are you sure it is whizzing noise and not humming noise ? Low humming noise is usually a defective wheel bearing.

3. adam_ikmal

adam_ikmal Member

The noise doesn't increase with speed, it gains momentum of noise even when idling... I heat up the engine a little bit and it will start the noise again.

Yes, I'm sure it's whizzing sound.. like some kind of machine noise

4. Herbert

Herbert Well-Known Member

Check your rear muffler (internal components disintegrated)

5. adam_ikmal

adam_ikmal Member

Ok, will do... thanks for the feedback. I'll see to it as soon as possible.

6. adam_ikmal

adam_ikmal Member

Checked it, and seems to be in good condition.. jacked up the car to really identify where the sound is coming from and it's coming from the right side fuel tank

7. adam_ikmal

adam_ikmal Member

After 3 years I'm back again, life got in the way as usual, I took the car to Bluegreen Motor Werks yesterday, met with Mike, friendly chap, with confidence he told me it's the fuel pump making the noise, says I've been running the car with too little petrol regularly ( hehe, what to do? Have to jimat in these trying Times)

He told me not to worry too much and just fill it up full tank and see if it still makes that noise, and to come back if it starts making problems for me