Mini cooper R50 Auto Gearbox jerking

Discussion in 'Other BMW related models' started by tweiboon, Jul 9, 2017.

1. tweiboon

tweiboon Club Guest

Anyone owned Mini cooper R50 auto transmission which will jerk between 5km/h to 15km/h ?

KalisaSon likes this.
  2. tweiboon

tweiboon Club Guest

i took down the Mini Cooper R50 gearbox and dismantle the gearbox. I found out the auto clutch worn. I replaced the clutches bought from China and waiting 31/08/2017 to come for putting this gearbox back to Mini Cooper. Hope to see the result.

3. kevin1982my

kevin1982my Club Guest

You did this all by yourself? Amazing.

What is the milleage of your mini? Worn auto clutch/bands will usually cause slips, not jerk.

I reckon jerk is likely caused by stuck/worn/defective solenoid(s), or line pressure too high.

4. KalisaSon

KalisaSon New Member

The wife now wants a cooper s and not an Eos. Our budget will get a 58/09 from a dealer so will come with a warranty, TLC and extended Tlc. Anyone ever owned one?

5. tweiboon

tweiboon Club Guest

U are definately wrong. I already changed the clutch and jerking became super minor jerking and now waiting for the final work that is delete the gearbox adaption and let it relearn to control the clutch again. This tech is abandon by BMW 15 years ago and now Proton took it and put on all Proton cars. Now Proton car users normally will face problem after 3 years. Now no more jerking when suddenly apply brake or over applied brake but still got minor jerking between 12km/h to 15km/h. No more clink clink sound and the result is super Amazing!!!!!! The problem of this gearbox is using 3 clutch plates for forward and 3 clutch plates for reverse. Can you imagine what is the max life span of the 3 clutch plates ??? This the reason why BMW wanted to abandon this Punch CVT. For those who support Proton CVT then super good luck to them because guarantee less that 5 years u will face such a problem if driving a car always stick to the butt infront of the car or never put N position and press brake for long time waiting !!!!!!

6. tweiboon

tweiboon Club Guest

Jerking cause by solenoid not happening in CVT. in CVT only has 1 Stepper Solenoid to control the CVT to change Ratio and Secondary Pressure Solenoid to control clutch. In normal gearbox, it has multiple solenoid to control gear changing. In CVT, change Secondary Pressure Solenoid will not solve the problem due to the 3 clutch plates worn. It needs more pressure to press more in order to stick the clutches with the gearbox shaft to turn. Worn clutch plates causing slip while it turning and causing high jerking. The jerking facing by this Punch CVT is very horrible. Once you knew for sure you will never use such a CVT anymore.

7. tweiboon

tweiboon Club Guest

Final update for Mini Cooper r50 cvt jerking problems

After changed the clutch plates have to clear the transmission adaptation and need to do the calibration. If changed clutch plates not performance this calibration result is the car still jerking between 12km/h to 15km/h. After performance this calibration the problem solved.