1. Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

Looking for BMW E24:Need some opinions..

Discussion in '6 Series' started by zib, Aug 12, 2013.

1. zib

zib Club Guest

Dear all,I am currently on the hunt for an E24. Preferably E28 based (Phase 2) version.Seen 2 already but one needs too much work. The latest I saw yesterday has brakes problem which I suspect the accumulator aka the brake bomb (servo). Not expensive to fix but i suspect the masterpump also has problems as it doesn't have enough power for the brakes.For such a heavy and powerful car like the 635csi it needs good brakes to stop the car! Too dangerous.Rust is minimal (around the rubber seals for the front and rear windscreen) but the rear leather seats are in a terrible condition and the front ones have been changed to fabric which is very undersirable.The leather is cream btw.He has also modified the aircond ie disabling the original controls and installed 2 switches for temp and a 3 step fan speed (like school vans!).The centre console cover is also missing exposing the radio amplifier. Can I get this cover replacement new part?The rear lights cover is also in bad condition with cracks and showing some signs of aging. How much is the cover and can we get new parts for this?The exhaust is also blowing (not so loud) but noticeable when idling and running. Some parts inside the exhaust could be blocking or perished. Can we get the new exhaust system for this car? May I know how much?The speedometer and all instrument work but the odometer is stucked shut and showing only 19k KMs!! hahaha...One thing I notice is that the door lock pin is only on the driver's side. The front passenger side is blanked with a grommet. Is this original?The sunroof is also not working. Where can to get this fixed and how much?Also please share where is the best workshop to bring this car for all the above work which has experience with this classic car.Any kind and honest advice are kindly appreciated.Many thanks.

2. moots

moots Club Guest

bro zib....my take on this:
    1. if you are not a diy kaki,then find one good shop to do a total restoration for you...ah foo of kayu ara comes to mind.but of crs expect to pay for the services lah
    2. if you diy kaki..treat this as a project.diy as and when you have time.search for parts locally or on the net.time consuming but fun.but reading yr post...don't think that you are...
    3. buy a good specimen but of crs at a premium....

if i have the moolah...and space....i'd jump in without a second thought....

3. Ramoura

Ramoura Club Guest

from ur descriptions...my thot for u:
    - buying this type of breed, especially here in Malaysia, u nd to be a bit more realistic. It was a higly 'Premium Luxury Coupe' at their peak last time threfore the total shark imported in in 80's may not be huge in numbers...then total numbers that survived till today too is questionable...then if there are few that still running around our tarmac today, their conditions are also questionable?? Most of the current owners are the 'purist' that loves this legend but at the same time they have other BMW cars or other marques in their garage. They will try their best to maintain it as original as possible, BUT with a limited sources and high prices (import in/ebays/discontinued/chop shop etc) sometimes its more worthy to upgrade their post modern 'on-running' cars rather spend it on their E24.(exceptionally to Royalty Sultan, or Moolah$$ pple).
    - Thats y to see the modified A/Cond for me is kind of practical solutions rather than aesthetic. If its working well in our heaty weather so...GREAT!!
    - Ask urself again, the purpose of ur hunting....for leisure? langsi2??...for self pleasure head turner...with all original conditions maintain & intact nicely?? bcuz all the above came with it own category of prices. If somebody can find you the best original condition ever that will fulfill ur earlier requirements... i bet the price will be subjectively very high from 80k and above...so r u willing to pay "CASH" for it??....I said this bcoz of there are M3 E30 selling @ 150k....8 Series @ 90k...E30 Cabrio @ 65k.
    - For me looking at not jst E24 but others classic beauty like Jag Xjs, Merc W104 SL....still running handsomely around town will always bring smile to my face. I respect the owner, trust' & salute them for their 'BEST' efforts and 'PURITY' in keeping these machines on the road and eventually for all of us to 'ENJOY' looking at it...:)
    - Good Luck & Happy Hunting Zib!!:cool:

4. zib

zib Club Guest

I forgot to mention. The owner wants to let go his ride for RM35k.

It is white (original in reg card is red).

5. ssmann

ssmann Club Guest

E23 base??? I thot there was only an E12 or E28 base.......contact Vincent Hor to find out what he went thru to get his on the road....best of luck

6. zib

zib Club Guest

Sorry typo.

Amended my post. Yes I am looking for the E28 based model.

Well spotted ssmann!

7. Vincent Hor

Vincent Hor Club Guest

Serjit, you were spot on regarding what I went through to get mine restored to it's present condition.

Zib, any E24 you buy in the market will need a lot of work. The newest you can find is at least 24 years old. I have some contributions on this forum about the E24. Do make a search and learn a bit from there.

A very good place for E24 resources is to check out BigCoupe.com lots of real experts there

Most parts for E24 be it E12 or E28 base is not a problem. I get mine from USA. Prices are quite reasonable and they are BMW originals.

If you are seriously considering acquiring an E24, you will need the following;

1. Love for this classic shark
    2. Lots of patience. I repeat "LOTS OF PATIENCE"
    3. A reasonable sum of hard cash. Note : By the time you finish the project, you may not want to pull out all the bills and sum it up.

If you need help, do sent me a PM. Will share what I can.

8. zib

zib Club Guest

Thanks Vincent.

PM sent.

9. zib

zib Club Guest

Dear all,
    Thanks for the replies.

I finally have an E24 in my possession now.

Will share the pics in a new thread later.

Cheers

10. Vincent Hor

Vincent Hor Club Guest

Bro Zib, contratulations. From the pics I would say that the condition is quite good.

11. Onercevor

Onercevor New Member

Does anyone know of any Mechanics who are very familiar with the older 80s BMWs and are dependable and affordable?
    My 635 CSi just rolled 400,000 last week and is need of some TLC

By the way, I found a great option to get my VIN report. The site http://vehhistory.com gave me the detailed history report of my car and charged nothing.

12. LJT

LJT Club Guest

What happened to the sharknose now? No response since 2017.